All Wheels Extreme

I felt compelled to post this after visiting the park tonight and observing this venue (the AWE stadium) from a distance (from Planet Snoopy). I don't think the actual stadium (at least not the concrete structure) is an eyesore but all of the old blue metal sheeting that is on the roof and above the main entrance is the TRUE problem. It is need of replacement, it's 30+ years is showing! and is thoroughly stained white by seagull droppings. I wonder if the park would ever consider new white metal sheeting (to give it a brighter, clean look or even something different such as bright red to help improve the looks of the overall structure. Next time you view the AWE stadium, check out what I'm talking about, I think this would be a quick fix for a run down looking venue. I will email the park about this. Anyone else notice this?

I've noticed this also and I'm in agreement with you. The design of the stadium is fine, it is the details like the roof that make it look dated.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Unfortunately I don't think changing the color of the roof will affect my opinion on the monstrosity blocking a prominent location and taking up valuable space. If they didn't replace the structure with something else, the least they could do is build an open air type theater allowing guests walking by see the action from
The Wicked Twister midway as well as an open view of the beach

Something like this

Outside:

http://tinyurl.com/pw6y7fj

Inside:

http://tinyurl.com/o4p6eo8

Last edited by CoasterGuy15,

You're just replacing one "eyesore" with another. Personally, I don't like the look of that modern design. Even with a new open air type of structure, there will still be things blocking the view of the beach (ramps if they keep AWE there; a curtain/backdrop for whatever else).

I know that you really want to see the beach from that midway, but I'm not sure if moving the show and removing the stadium is really the best answer. Maybe after AWE looses its luster and the attendance in that area dips, but until then, I think they could get away with minor improvements like new color and lighting underneath.

They call me Sheehan.
coasterandtreeloversbuzz.com

We've come a long way if the stadium is the major complaint for that midway (not Disaster Transport, not Coral Courtyards, etc). If I had to guess, I would think the stadium is pretty low maintenance.

AWE just completed its 8th season, that's a pretty good run. It's worth mentioning that the stadium was actually vacant in 2007, leading to speculation it would be removed. Instead, it is just about the only thing that hasn't changed in that area.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I don't see a reason to completely remove tear down the stadium and remove AWE from the park. It is a popular show; even on days when there's only been a 15 minute wait for Maverick or Millennium the stadium is at least half full. And on busy days, I've seen the stadium almost at capacity.

What I would like to see is AWE remain in that location, but the stadium be replaced with one of the open air ones posted above. It would be an upgrade from the current aging stadium, and it would look great imo. It would also match the style of the sunshade in front of Gatekeeper.

If/when the park decides to remove the stadium and look at alternatives for AWE, I bet they would consider an indoor venue or at least a covered amphitheater style. During my time at the park the biggest complaint from both guests and the Entertainment Department was the amount of canceled shows due to rain. Even a lite mist would cancel the show and it would take a long time to get the stage dry for the next performance, sometimes canceling that one as well. This is the reason for Dorney removing their ice show and placing AWE inside their new ice theater.

Last edited by 99er,

I was going to say that I have never been in that stadium, but I may be mistaken. I vaguely remember some sort of a dolphin show back in the 70's or 80s'. I think there was an aquarium of sorts also.

If they would ever remove the stadium, I vote for the following to go there:

An "Upside Down Funhouse"

A "Rotor"

A :Giant Slide"

We need a Rotor whether they replace the stadium or not.

What is now the AWE stadium opened in 1980 as Oceana with a dolphin and sea lion show. It was adjacent to the park's Sealand aquarium, which had opened in 1970 and was incorporated into Oceana.

Oceana replaced Cedar Point's first Wildcat coaster, I believe.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

I remember riding the Wildcat when it was over there. I assumed that they just dis-assembled it and moved it to where it was across from Iron Dragon. I wish it was still at the park, it would be ideal for my 9 year old.

They replaced the original Wildcat with a new model the first time it was moved. And, the location across from Iron Dragon was not it's location after the Oceana move. Wildcat was located next to Space Spiral, approximately where Disaster Transport was.

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Oh, okay Pete. I was too young (or ignorant) to notice the difference. When I road it way back then we were on an 8th grade school field trip and I was too busy trying to sit next to some girl I had a crush on.

I also think Ocean Motion was over there somewhere as well.

The first Wildcat was moved to Valleyfair!, where it ran until 1998. Ocean Motion opened in 1981 next to Oceana.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

The stadium is essentially zero maint. Draining the ever-filling sumps and painting the ramps/minor redesign of the stage is about it. AWE could not share the stage with Luminosity. The time and manpower necessary to change from one show to the other would be VERY expensive. AWE is not just ramps, it is very large trampolines and towers too. Plus storing those items would be impossible without closing the midway for a few hours each day to have heavy equipment move the gear off the stage to the storage behind the Lumo bleachers. There is not nearly enough space behind Coasters to store all that gear, nor is there access that does not involve closing the midway for cranes, etc. The AWE show is a turnkey solution that involves 1 LiveE tech and a handful of ushers. Cheap. The performers are paid and insured through the contractor. Just like Skeleton Crew. (Which uses 2 LiveE techs, 1 LiveE drummer, and ParkOps support staff) Cheap. Both generate revenue over their costs and they are extremely popular. Until the ROI changes, expect no changes.

Could not share "the stage" with luminosity, not "a stage"... the proposal would be to replace both, not simply move AWE to the midway.

CPMaintMan said:

Both generate revenue over their costs and they are extremely popular. Until the ROI changes, expect no changes.

I have wondered how the park determines how much the midway entertainment, like Toes in the Sand Band or Bluegrass Jamboree, is "worth" since I assume they can't really count attendance the same way one might in the enclosed venues. The return of such entertainment has been a highlight of the Ouimet/McClure era.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

CPMaintMan said:

...Cheap. The performers are paid and insured through the contractor.

Cheap isn't how I would describe the show. In terms of what the park is paying its hourly employees, sure. But in regards to what they pay the performers, most definitely not. Even though they have one Tech and a couple of Ushers, it still cost more than what they are paying to staff most other Live E locations. The only benefit to a show like AWE, Skeleton Crew, or the old ice show is that they don't have to spend money on developing the show. Live Entertainment just goes to Woodstock Productions and tells them they want a show, then Woodstock takes care of the rest of it.

I didn't read through this entire forum, but I wholehearedly disagree with the original post. We went for the first time last week (wife, 4-year-old daughter, 6-year-old daughter, and middle-aged me) and loved it! In fact, we couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day and my daughters continually want to watch youtube videos of the performance. Not only was the show great, but all the performers sat on the stage at the end and took pictures with everyone. My daughters were completely startstruck. CPRundown mentioned in a recent facebook post that there has been chatter that this might be the last year for the show. I hope this is not the case. Cedar Point will be hard pressed to find an equally entertaining and engaging show. Prior to seeing the show I would've thought the space used by the stadium could best be used for something else. Having seen the show, I don't believe that it is. The stadium was the perfect setting for All Wheels Extreme. I hope the athletes and crew get another contract.

Tall and fast not so much upside down...

I especially love Vincent Kudrna, the scooter rider. Look up his web edit 2. That shows what he was able to do 4 years ago. He's only better now.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service