Will Diamondback overshadow CP in 2009?

Zoug68 said:
As I've said before, after having ridden Behemoth and then watching the Diamondback video, I've got a feeling alot of people are gonna love this new ride. Don't rule it out yet just because it is not at our favorite park. I'm just glad I won't need a passport to ride this type of coaster next year. Might actually be a good reason to buy the platinum pass.

Behemoth was good, but not great. The trims on the hills defeated the purpose. I did love the new style of train and restraint though. Diamondback looks much better than Behemoth because of its unique layout with the terrain.

And you didn't need a passport to ride Behemoth this year. And you won't until June 1, 2009 (this is of course, if you're travelling by car).

Last edited by Vince982,

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

The trims on the hills actually cause you to fly out of your seat more comfortably, but i was in the back seat and launched while going over every single hill but the hammerhead turn.

Last edited by Zoug68,

The first time I rode was in the back, and it was fun. The second time I rode in the second row (same view as the front) and it was nothing to write home about. You would crest the hill and feel like you had to wait for the rest of the train to catch up so you could continue on the course. Have that happen 2 or 3 times and it loses its fun.

tedfuzz said:
Cedar Point needs to add something unique like a B&M flyer. Go ahead and make it the tallest, fastest, and longest while you're at it.

That wouldn't be unique, and flying coasters suck. It doesn't matter if it's the B&M or Vekoma variety. I'm still trying to figure out what SeaWorld was thinking building one for next year.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Most flying coasters suck, yes, Jeff. Tatsu, on the other hand is actually quite amazing. The only one I have truly enjoyed, and I think that if CP were to build one it would be up to par with, and probably better than Tatsu. Not saying that CP is going to get one - I'd be shocked if they ever did, but I don't think that you can rule out CP getting a flyer based simply on the fact that they aren't good rides.

On the topic of Diamondback, I really hope it's better than Nitro and Raging Bull... Maybe it's just because of my two summers working at Magnum and being used to brutal ejector air, but I found those two rides to provide absolutely no airtime whatsoever. I nearly cried on Raging Bull... everything was quite awesome until we hit that trim brake going up the third hill that slowed us down to an agonizing crawl over the crest. I was actually quite mad for the rest of the ride knowing how much better it would be with the added speed that was stolen from us.

Californian in Ohio
'10 - TL Magnum XL-200
'09 - ATL Top Thrill Dragster
'08 - Magnum / Corkscrew crews
'07 - maXair / Magnum crews
'06 - Wicked Twister / Skyride / Millennium Force crews

I'm increasingly coming around to the belief that there are certain types of coasters that are just unnatural to the human body. God* didn't intend us to stand up on a roller coaster, and He sure as hell didn't mean for us to ride in some sort of weird, sitting-on-a-commode-except-perpendicular-to-the-track-and-beneath-it fashion. It was His divine inspiration that we should be sitting upright, preferably with hands in the air, and most especially preferably with single-position lap bars, no seat belts and NO seat dividers.

*And by God I mean John Miller, of course.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

OMG knowing how long it takes to load guests into Banshee oops Mantis (mostly because they don't listen) can you imagine how long it would take to load guests into a flyer?
Guests p/hour: 50 :)

I can't understand anyone not liking Nitro. It was an airtime demon, and way fun. Unless of course it's been SixFlagged so now it sucks.

Jo
Lifetime Raptor flights: 1366 :)

It's all about getting around the barrels, or over the fences, right leads, no faults, fastest time and looking pretty when done. What's so hard about that?

I agree with Jo, Nitro is a great ride and cant wait to ride Diamondback

I wish that they would put in a coaster like the Dominator that was at Geauga Lake! I love the B&M coasters! They are so cool! I also love the company that put in the Maverick! I can't wait to try Diamondback next season!

Life is like a rollercoaster! It is full of ups and downs

Hopefully Cedar Point doesn't go to B&M. I love Intamin roller coasters. B&M's are good coasters don't get me wrong, but there is NOTHING innovative about them. They are all the same, but different variety of trains. Cedar Point pushes the limit, and Intamin are the ones that are willing to do it. Sure you might suffer breakdowns at first, compared to B&M, but look at TTD. Sure it took them 3-4 years to get it running consistantly, but it this year and last year it has been one of the best rides in terms of maintanence. That is expected when you try something new. Notice Raptor and Mantis never had the spotlight longer than a year like Magnum, Millie, TTD, Maverick all still have. They are good coasters, but nothing special about them that you can't experience at any six flags park. My point is that am not rushing to KI to ride Diamondback or hopeing for a flyer next year.

^You must have not been to the park since early August. Since then (well actually starting with the first attempted PPERT) TTD has not been good to the maintenance team at all. Im willing to bet Raptor had more people ride it this year then TTD, probably even Maverick. And when the next new coaster will come around, Mavericks "long line" (its only 2.5 at most on crowded days) will disapear.

Raptor is easily one of the most reliable and high capacity rides at the park. You're a crack baby if you don't think it's a good ride.

Intamin hasn't done anything particularly innovative. Maverick is a great ride, but there's nothing particularly innovative about it. Premier Rides was doing launched coasters long before Intamin.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

^^ Of course Raptor had more ridership than TTD this year. If you're basing how many people ride a coaster in any given year on how long the lines are, you're sorely mistaken...

TTD 2007: 1,082,218
Raptor 2007: 1,421,255

Magnum 2007: 1,525,188

Californian in Ohio
'10 - TL Magnum XL-200
'09 - ATL Top Thrill Dragster
'08 - Magnum / Corkscrew crews
'07 - maXair / Magnum crews
'06 - Wicked Twister / Skyride / Millennium Force crews

TopThrillChris said:
Notice Raptor and Mantis never had the spotlight longer than a year like Magnum, Millie, TTD, Maverick all still have.

My point is that am not rushing to KI to ride Diamondback or hopeing for a flyer next year.

Don't forget that Magnum is an Arrow design...wasn't sure if you realized that since you lumped it into the same category as all the Intamins.

By all means, stay away from Diamonback...you are one less person to wait in line ahead of me...and a lot of other people.

Nick

I rode Nitro at that six flags park. It's a good thing I rode it just once, and not marathon it like we could have, because the lines were somewhat short. I liked the ride alot. I also have been on Raging Bull at great america. That was also very fun. But we rode RB more than once. Nitro seems to almost clone Diamondback so even if I never get to KI to ride DB, I can say I've been on Nitro and keep it at that. :)

I agree with Jeff...flying coasters suck! They're beautiful and the concept is interesting, but I remember how disappointed I was (and my party) when I walked off X-Flight the first time...I thought it was uncomfortable and strapped me in too much to really value the flying aspect. I just felt like I was tied in rope and tossed around.

I think CP should just stay away from any gimmicks or record heights in future coasters... go for quality only. A coaster that will still rock years later, even if it does not break a record (that usually only lasts for a season or two anyway).

Anyway, with that, Diamondback is a great investment. I would be shocked if this ride is not fantastic, based on what we know about similar B&M coasters. I just fail to see how this ride could be bad.

Last edited by net,

i am for sure going to ride diamondback. but i heard good news about 2010

ask me for my facebook.

I can say Vekoma flyers suck because I have been on one but I can't speak for B&M flyers. I'd like to try a B&M one before I write them off completely.

southpuddle said:
^^ Of course Raptor had more ridership than TTD this year. If you're basing how many people ride a coaster in any given year on how long the lines are, you're sorely mistaken...

TTD 2007: 1,082,218
Raptor 2007: 1,421,255

Magnum 2007: 1,525,188

Raptor doesn't go down in the rain and wind nearly as much as TTD. Raptor also opens an hour before TTD. This is not an accurate comparison.

Cedar Point Lifer
Employee 2006-2009

That does not account for TTD's descrepency. TTD usually stays open longer then Raptor for one thing, and besides that nearly 1/3 less people then Raptor.

And yet the best ride at Cedar Point kicks both their butts even though it typically enjoys near walk on waits during the first and last hour of operation :).

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service