Will Diamondback overshadow CP in 2009?

e x i t english said:

Jeff said:

Wishful thinking. Just like your signature!

:-O From downtown!! I'm sorry to quote and do nothing but say "pwnd", but wow. That was pretty awesome and I can't let it go overlooked.

Um, yeah it really was....*snicker*

I was just wondering if anyone has ridden the Crypt at KI yet. (since it's changed.) My friend and I want to know about it and how it's changed. We might go in 09, but not for sure. Diamondback looks amazing, however.

By the way, beast is really fun and I will always be surprised that it held that longest wooden coaster record for that long.....:)

Crypt is a much more intense, thrilling ride, in my opinion. It lacks in theme, though. That fact is redeemed by the thrilling ride, I think.

2007 - Wicked Twister
2008 - Wicked Twister
2009 - (Walt Disney World) Space Mountain/Tomorrowland Speedway

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

My vote for over-rated is Mille. Just saying. And does the election have everybody bitchy on this sight? Seems like it.

Let's Get Weird.

Jeff: I said CP is lacking in wooden coasters...that's it. The Racer is more exciting than Blue Streak. Not that Blue Streak is bad, it's a fun ride...but The Racer is a classic out and back in my opinion. Mean Streak is horrible, and even you admitted that. So, yeah, CP is lacking that wooden coaster that makes one say, "Wow"! (such as Thunderhead at Dollywood, for example).

For those that say The Beast is overrated, generic, or bad, that's about as ignorant as saying Magnum or Gemini are the same as well. You do not know your history. The Beast is a classic ride, one of the scariest rides of it's time. It changed the face of coasters, along with Gemini in the 70's...as did Magnum in the 80's. It has stood the test of time and to this day is a thrilling ride, unlike MS which went to the dogs in about 2 seasons.

I'm not trashing CP...it's my favorite park..period! However, I've been to many, many parks and would easily put KI in the top 5 for overall enjoyment. That's far from being average. Diamondback is only going to escalate its popularity. How great is it to have 2 superior parks in Ohio.

Jeff said:
How is CP lacking? Blue Streak isn't all that different from Racer. And the Beast is just a long track through the woods. There's nothing particularly special about it other than the length and the second part after the second lift.

I've always felt that Kings Island was an enormous park with a lot of really mediocre rides. Top Gun is solid, and Flight of Fear was awesome after they retrofitted the lap bars and ran it at speed without trimming (they've stopped that since), but the park doesn't have a gee-whiz ride. Hopefully Diamondback will be that ride.

Visited this year and was a little dispointed but that could possibly be because it was super busy and it was early in the season.

There is A LOT of unused space which could use some new flats. Naked spots and I don't feel up to an hour line up for delirium. I liked the wood but need some more height. Seriously, lines for an old corkscrew like ride.

Actually felt there was too much folliage after trying to find the Beast for half an hour.

I'm going out to get some air.

net said:
Jeff: I said CP is lacking in wooden coasters...that's it. The Racer is more exciting than Blue Streak. Not that Blue Streak is bad, it's a fun ride...but The Racer is a classic out and back in my opinion. Mean Streak is horrible, and even you admitted that. So, yeah, CP is lacking that wooden coaster that makes one say, "Wow"! (such as Thunderhead at Dollywood, for example).

For those that say The Beast is overrated, generic, or bad, that's about as ignorant as saying Magnum or Gemini are the same as well. You do not know your history. The Beast is a classic ride, one of the scariest rides of it's time. It changed the face of coasters, along with Gemini in the 70's...as did Magnum in the 80's. It has stood the test of time and to this day is a thrilling ride, unlike MS which went to the dogs in about 2 seasons.

I'm not trashing CP...it's my favorite park..period! However, I've been to many, many parks and would easily put KI in the top 5 for overall enjoyment. That's far from being average. Diamondback is only going to escalate its popularity. How great is it to have 2 superior parks in Ohio.

Lets not compare racer to blue streak, lets compare it to Gemini and it does not stack up.

I'm going out to get some air.

I don't care if cp gets a new coaster next year. Even if they only get a spin and puke or a Taco bell, it would be SOMETHING to look forword to.

Cedarpoint is a fun park and one of my favorates, but it is starting to become stale. I don't expect them to add a coaster everyother year, but add something new to keep it interesting.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I don't think Diamondback will over shadow Cedar Point, in 2009. I am excited that season pass holders get to be the first to ride it, but I don't think Kings Island will bring more people up north from around Cedar Point down to Kings Island.

Cedar Points ride's and coaster's collection, is in a class of there own.

I can see how the Beast entrance can be hard to find, they took the sign down, so it really makes it hard to someone to find it. I like the Beast is fun, it was a big hit when it opened, but there's newer wooden coasters that are just better (Thunder Head, Voyage).

Quote from a Corkscrew ride op, "And Dragster is down again"

mermaidsair: you can not compare Racer with Gemini. One is wood and the other tubular steel. The feeling I get on Gemini is completely different than on Racer. Yes, there's the "racing" element, but if you want to compare that, Racer is a true "racer" running the exact same course and never lets up. I'm comparing apples to apples, wood to wood.

This is getting silly. All I implied is two things: (1) that CP does not exactly have the best wooden selection, which is obvious from any wooden coaster poll. Many of you on this site crave a new wooden coaster at CP. (2) That the addition of Diamondback puts KI "closer" to CP in overall quality. Obviously, CP is superior in steel coasters, but "overall" KI is not an inferior park. Diamondback was essential addition.

Last edited by net,

I went to Canada's Wonderland and rode Behemoth this past weekend....after riding it, I will definitely be making the trip from Detroit past Cedar Point to King's Island to ride Diamondback. Kinda reminds me of Magnum and Millenium Force combined. Very Smooth and fast but lots of BIG airtime hills. B&M got this design right.

I love the Beast. I wouldn't get in a fist fight defending it's honor...but I consider it a true gem of a coaster. You can't find a similar experience...anywhere.

As for Diamondback...it will overshadow CP as much as the Steel Phantom overshadowed CP. Which is to say, not at all.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

The Best reminds me of a little kid playing Roller Coaster Tycoon designing a roller coaster that makes it through the whole circut! ;)

I hate to say it but I went on Behemonth 3 times. Once in the front and twice in the back and i was not at all impressed with it. It was a decent ride but not awesome. I have also been on Apollo's Chariot and once again it is a decent ride but not awesome. I guess the point i am trying to say is that yes KI neeeds a big steel coaster but this is not going to rank anywhere near magnum at all but it will draw in a good crowd.

I am so impressed that Cedar Fair is making a Cedar Point South when they didn't want a Cedar Point East "Geauga Lake".

D_DON said:
I am so impressed that Cedar Fair is making a Cedar Point South when they didn't want a Cedar Point East "Geauga Lake".

If it was possible for Cedar Fair to make another very profitable park like Cedar Point. they would. Geauga Lake could never be the size of Cedar Point. It didn't even survive being less than half the size of the point.

Now, I'm not usually the type of person, though, who goes to other parks and says "It can't be better than Cedar Point" as I'm sure many biased people do. Don't get me wrong. Overall, of the parks I have visited, Cedar Point is, by far, the best park for variety of roller coasters.

I'm not saying they have the BEST coasters of each type though.

I'm just curious as to what you consider great, because I haven't ridden a whole lot of coasters that were better than Behemoth, especially of the out-and-back, up-and-down hills, non-looping coaster style.

Diamonback looks as though it could be even better than that.

All Cedar Point needs to do now is to put similar style trains with otsr on Mantis...lol

I love how people can declare the quality of a ride with little more than a crystal ball.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

well I was at kings island on media day for diamond back during the summer. I dont think its going to over shadow CP at all. But i will be one that will visit Kings Island a couple times this coming summer.

I don't know how any coaster that isn't breaking any records going to overshadow Cedar Point. Kind of ludacris off-season talk.

ChrisC. said:
The Beast is the most overrated coasters ever. It is boring, sorry...

Magnum is the most overrated. I'm not saying its bad, in fact, I think its really good. I just think its consistently overrated.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service