What else will be new for 2010?,other than STR

I can't imagine people coming to the park on Saturday and being like "man, what the heck? I just paid $2 for this same hot dog on Thursday", getting your explanation, and being anything other than upset.

The fact of the matter is, is that employee is probably making $7 an hour, if he sells even 3, $6 widgets an hour, he is more than making up for his wage.

The validity of the idea aside, I see nothing wrong with variable pricing, Kyle. It already exists almost everywhere - movie theaters, sporting events, bars, restaurants, gas stations and so on. People get the concept, and I don't think it would be as poorly received as you posit.

Brandon

When I go to the Whitecaps on Thursday nights, I get $2 beers. I don't get upset when that same beer costs me 5 or 6 on Saturday. Why would CP be any different?

Goodbye MrScott

John

The difference is the bar you go to is open all of the time, whereas cedar point would coincide more with sporting events, concerts, and other major attractions that aren't right down the road at every corner where there is major competition. Beer is usually $8.25 at every tigers game and concert I go to, and it doesn't fluctuate on day games where attendance is half full.

For clarification - Whitecaps = Tigers A affiliate.

There's the same in place for Griffins games. Some days offer discount food/drink and the rest are regular price.

It wouldn't be that hard for Cedar Point to do the same.

Advertise it as "WTF Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays."

Goodbye MrScott

John

I don't think it will change for 2 reasons...

1) If my buddy calls me up and tells me it's half off beers at the local bar tomorrow, I may very well take him up on it and meet him there. If he tells me it's half off hot dogs at cedar point, it isn't going to make a lick of difference.

2) Using the concerts, pro sports, and amusement park theory, you can't see a major league baseball team, a rock superstar, or ride multiple 200 foot coaster unless you drive hundreds of miles away, it's not like a local bar or place to eat, the monopoly in the area isn't created.

I would love to see the prices get reduced, sure, great, but don't rake CP over the coals for following suit.

Last edited by Kyle2154,

Is preferred parking coming for 2010? It seems likely that management would have considered it as a no-cost way to increase revenue.

How this little gouging tactic works: Universal Orlando charges $14 for general parking, $18 for closer preferred parking. Even if the garage is 95% empty, you can't park close unless you pony up the extra $4 (or sneak around the baricades and security).

Universal even offers valet service for $22, but image how long you would have to wait for your car if say it was 6 pm and a thunderstorm started up and 20,000 people streamed for the exits.

Just say no to trims

I don't think CP will consider the option of preferred parking. It would cost extra for employees to watch/take payment for the area. And the way Cedar Points parking lot is, there isn't much area for a preferred area that would actually be close to the gate. And if your looking for preferred parking just park in the Soak City lot or just come early enough to get one of the first rows of the main lot.

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

Ffej said:
I'm sure someone will chime in with "or Cedar Point could hire more staff to accomodate the longer lines."

Actually, I was going to chime in and say they could just make the service more efficient. The setup at most of the walk up food places is terribly inefficient. Improving upon that wouldn't necessarily mean hiring more people to work each stand.

More people isn't always the answer. I work in the foodservice industry and throwing more people into an area as a way to speed up service usually just makes a bigger problem, especially in small areas. From what I've seen at food stands at CP is just generally slow-working people. The way they count change at the till, the way they get your drink, burger, fries, etc just always seems generally slow. I know when I'm at work I move my ass because I want to get you your food just as fast as you want to get it because I want to clear out the line.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

Off Subject, a little.

But-here I am thinking again :) . What are the odd's that the frontier trail side of the ride could be used during Halloweekends for another walk through Haunt, like Thunder Canyon?

Maybe enter near the drop of the second hill, walk through the trough, through the station, (Tunnel-scary), exit at the bottom of the 1st lift hill, back onto the trail.

STR probably won't run during Halloweekends, like SRF and TC don't run.

GATEKEEPER-I came, I rode, I was mildly disappointed; until a second ride (rear left) put GateKeeper back on the...it's a nice ride list.

Tip said:
Is preferred parking coming for 2010? It seems likely that management would have considered it as a no-cost way to increase revenue.

How this little gouging tactic works: Universal Orlando charges $14 for general parking, $18 for closer preferred parking. Even if the garage is 95% empty, you can't park close unless you pony up the extra $4 (or sneak around the baricades and security).

Universal even offers valet service for $22, but image how long you would have to wait for your car if say it was 6 pm and a thunderstorm started up and 20,000 people streamed for the exits.

....and the funny part about Universal is that there really isn't any CLOSE parking! Think about it! You STILL have to walk on the moving walkways and through the dome in the middle to get to Citywalk, and then walk through that to get to the parks. I wonder how many people got the PP and felt how shafted they got when they still have to walk all that distance and barely shaved off any walking time from the regular parking!

Andrew Hartman

*CP Fan since 1999*

#1's: Voyage @ Holiday World, Superman: Ride of Steel (now Bizarro) @ Six Flags New England

^^
Having worked several service jobs in high school/college I agree, Vince...but there was always an incentive for me to do so as well, including (but not limited to):

1) I actually like my boos and the place I worked for

2) Bonus, raise, etc..

What incentive is there for a CP employee to "bust their ass" on a regular basis? Anything? I'm only asking because (I've never worked there) from the sound of former employees, there does not seem to be much in place.

Promoter of fog.

Employees shouldn't need any incentive beyond wanting to do a good job. That desire should be fostered by the employer, but I don't think bonuses and such are the way to do it. I was a model service industry employee not because of the money (it sucked) or the job (Pizza Hut FTL). Kevin's first point above is why - I gave a damn about my personal performance and the people around me.

Brandon

I get the impression that Cedar Point is the sort of part time job people would love to have. You can work fast food or work at Cedar Point, and I think that demand/desire alone probably creates at least a little incentive.

I don't think that incentive exists, given the company's ever-increasing reliance on overseas employees. Between the deplorable living conditions, pathetic pay and enormous workload, there's just not much to like about working there, apparently.

Brandon

In terms of other new things in 2010, it appears that Cedar Point (along with Canada's Wonderland) is getting a summer-long version of the touring Rock Band: LIVE "interactive" show.

The "live" continues to fade from Cedar Point's Live E.

That seems interesting. Though I consider myself a Rock Band 2 expert, I'm sure I wouldn't be good enough to win the competition and go on stage. It would be something I would stop by and take a look at if it was going on though.

Kevin and Brandon hit the nail on the head. I too had (and have) incentive. I guess the difference is though, my job isn't just a summer job. I am building a career so I need to care, not to mention I'm the type of person who does care and doesn't just do things half-assed. I agree with you Brandon that the employees shouldn't need an incentive to do a good job, but it seems these days it's the only way.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

I'm already not a fan of the Rock Band thing. Boooo

Let's Get Weird.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service