The Name of 2003

psycho-

Banchee is not a word. Now if you want to discuss Banshee, it has nothing to do with the Indians.

Banshee is defined as..."(in Irish folklore) a spirit in the form of a wailing woman who appears to or is heard by members of a family as a sign that one of them is about to die."

Your silver tag friend was mistaken. I was there when it happened and Cedar Point most certainly did announce it.

Jeffrey P. Stoneking said:
Schwabinchen's letters of complaint was told to me by a sales rep of the park along with an operations manager. Its removal was not based upon those factors.

Not to get on your bad side, Jeff, but he never said the letters about Schwabinchen was cause for it's removal.

------------------
I'd rather die living than live like I'm dead

All I was going by was what my silver tag friend said sorry oh well not the first time that I have been wrong. I am right about the trim breaks on mantis though, they are still used unlike what is said in jeff's article

-Doug-

------------------
I am a Mechanical Engineering major not an english major so pardon my horrible grammer

=========================================
sigma one said -
Lightning Rod
-----------------------------------------

HaHa...for some reason that just made me laugh. sigma one, you made my day

------------------
Thunder Canyon, Wave Swinger/Swan Boats '00
ATL CP & LE R.R, Magnum XL-200 '01
Raptor, DT, Demon Drop, & missing Twister crew member '02

This is something that I've wondered about for a while.

Here is the OED's definition of banshee:

A supernatural being supposed by the peasantry of Ireland and the Scottish Highlands to wail under the windows of a house where one of the inmates is about to die. Certain families of rank were reputed to have a special ‘family spirit’ of this kind.

A similar definition appears in Webster's Collegiate.

Now, maybe it's just me, but if I was going to pick a name for a ride, I would look up the name in the dictionary first. I would want to make sure the name has the right connotations for the ride and its theme. I can't imagine that the choice of name is undertaken lightly.

I usually do not ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity, but am I really to believe that CP needed the Sandusky Register to inform it of the definition of the word banshee? It's not like it is the fifteenth definition in a long list; it's the only definition.

If there were other, unstated, reasons for the name change, I would not be terribly surprised. Maybe a wailing spirit appeared under Kinzel's window, and he had a change of heart. Who knows?

While I'm inclined to take Wahoo's word on it, that's an awfully large dose of stupidity for an organization that usually seems to be much more careful.

I don't think it was that they didn't know what it meant. I think it is more like they didn't think anyone would care. I mean good grief, Kentucky Kingdom had Hellevator!

As Politically Correct as we are in today's society, I think the mid-90's was the peak of the PC foolheartedness. A small group waged a complaint and, rather than ignore it, CP chose to address it.

My guess is that more people heard about the complaint as a result of CP changing the name than would have heard otherwise. Look, we still talk about it today.

Yes, the phrase "for sensitivity reasons" in the official announcement pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Just to set some people around here straight:

Schwabinchen was removed for only two reasons:

A. The area is being used for future development
B. The popularity had droppped so much, that it was a logical move.

------------------

Webmaster: Po!Nt MaNiA!
http://www.thepointol.com/~pointmania

I would like to remind everyone, including Jeff, that this thread is not titled "Why Banshee Was Changed to Banshee". People get yelled at all the time for talking about things that could be talked about in other threads that would make much more sense. I understand you have to defend the intelligence of the group and I appreciate it, but lets just drop it and get back on the original topic, the name of #16.

Peace I'm Out

Hey thanks, but I'll decide how to moderate.

------------------
Jeff
Webmaster/GTTP
"There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, when it's all in your mind. You gotta let go." - Ghetto, Supreme Beings of Leisure

Yeah, I was hoping it didn't come across the way it did but I figured it might. Didn't want it to come out that way and I apologize that it did. Keep up the good work.

Peace I'm Out

I think it should be called Furrious Pizza man because you know how those pizza guys can be CRAZY!~ and pizza tastes good~!! MMMMMM PIZZA YAY!
Uh... no... no I don't think so. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

I think this topics almost out of names (or should I say, reasonable names). Can anyone else think of something besides crazy pizza man? Please?

------------------
If the roller coaster scared you...

RIDE IT AGAIN!!!
*** This post was edited by Drew Thompson 11/8/2002 8:55:52 PM ***

How about Propulsion or Rapid Fire? I don't know if they have been mentioned yet but they sound cool.
------------------
Superman: Ride Of Steel-
almost as good as Millennium Force
I like Rapid Fire... but it only "fires" you once a ride... I guees that wouldn't work.

------------------
If the roller coaster scared you...

RIDE IT AGAIN!!!

Uh oh, he badmouthed "The Coaster God". I bet we never see Jeffrey again. Not under that name anyway.

Quick question, what does "We we're making fun of you" have to do with Area 51 or Cedar Point?

Back on the Schwabinchen topic: It may have had nothing to do with the rides removal, but I think the point was that there were undoubtedly some Christian fanatics who found it offensive and lobbied for it's removal.

And as for Banshee, isn't DEMON DROP another religious reference?

Its Jeff's Site, he post anything he wants anywhere...Since he owns the site he can do whatever he feels like.

Rturbo72, Just a Quick question...What does schwabinchen have to do with the "Name Of 2003"?

Still being nice :)

------------------
- Dennis

*** This post was edited by Big D 11/8/2002 11:35:15 PM ***

Rturbo72 said:

Back on the Schwabinchen topic: It may have had nothing to do with the rides removal, but I think the point was that there were undoubtedly some Christian fanatics who found it offensive and lobbied for it's removal.

Again, you obviously don't get it. There were only two reasons why it was removed: Area for future development, and low popularity!

This was quoted from Robin Innes.

------------------

Webmaster: Po!Nt MaNiA!
http://www.thepointol.com/~pointmania

The name of the new rollercoaster at Cedar Point in 2003 is:

"Twisted Sister"

------------------
"Twisted Sister" is the name of the new rollercoaster at Cedar Point for 2003. Just watch!

Since this guess what title on the webcam is keeping us all looking and will for the rest of the off season.

They could call it "Made Ya Look "

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service