New For 2017: Cedar Point Shores Water Park

I 100% agreeDA20Pilot. I prefer Soak City's original water slides...the are a lot of fun, and not claustrophobic. I still think Lake Erie Shores needs more thrills for everyone...a water coaster, a bowl, a funnel ( cough: Liquid Lightning down the street), and so many others. For example, the water coaster at Castaway Bay is a blast, but I find the enclosed slides too fast and claustrophobic.

Not worth creating a separate topic, but still 2017 related... Crews have begun repainting the former Breakers Express. I snapped a picture earlier today. See below. Looks really nice so far!

Edit: Looks like Tony just beat me to the punch. https://twitter.com/tonyclarkcp/status/775810601419411456

Last edited by Mr. Potato,

Gemini 100 (6/11/01)

Looks much better. It was so bland looking before.

I never paid any attention before but I am not sure how it could have been much more bland than the brown and tan that they are painting it now.

Obviously 'dirty gray' didn't grab your attention either.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Apparently not. I wonder why they didn't go with a brighter, more cheerful color scheme.

I would guess these color palettes are focus group tested, the new Holiday Pony next door uses the same general scheme.

Also, Mr. Ouimet comes from a successful luxury hotel chain stewardship and knows what guests he's trying to target. And, I would guess color scheming is a big factor in that. CF has clearly upped its game in accommodations, they are very happy to let others take up the low-budget rooms while they focus on mid to high end in the market.

He is also known for implementing a 'good, better, best' business plan at disney and seems to be concentrating on the 'better, best' part here at CP. And leaving the 'undesirable, okay, good' to the many lesser properties around Sandusky.

It should be very interesting to see how the accommodations market will be changing in the next few years here. There are a couple of chains that have resources to match CF in the area, but CF is heavily leveraging the park, Sports Force Park, CPSHores, etc.. on its end of the game. And, it's working.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

The Express is geared to the mid/high end? I thought it was considered the resort's low end offering. Other than getting into the park an hour early, is there something special about this place? I stayed there one night many years ago and I remember it being just a plain hotel room. Maybe things have changed, or are changing, since then.

It was the budget hotel, but it was still pricey for the market it catered too and the amenities it offered.

The remodel will up the ante here, and put the rooms on par with the prices they are charging. Along with the pool upgrades and I'd imagine services offered.

I would expect to see more tie-ins with CP and SFP in the next year. More 'exclusive' benefits, the park has the ability to throw around free CPShore, FastLane, and discounts as they please.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see CF acquire the closer lesser motels near the entrance as they come available. The rundown properties appearance at the main entrance sign area is another area Mr. Ouimet has expressed interest in addressing.

XS NightClub said:

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see CF acquire the closer lesser motels near the entrance as they come available. The rundown properties appearance at the main entrance sign area is another area Mr. Ouimet has expressed interest in addressing.

I find this very interesting. What do you suppose they would do with those properties? Refurb them into employee housing? Demolish them? Refurb them into additional hotel space?

ROUNDABOUND.

Castaway Bay was originally a Radisson hotel, then CP bought it. A year later, they turned it into Castaway Bay. I would imagine that if CP bought any of the hotels around there, they would take over hotel operations.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

On that note of improvements, I wish Ohio/Sandusky would create a road that continued from the causeway to connect to route 250 directly. Essentially we'd reach the end of the causeway road at route 6, cross route 6 at grade, and take this new road to 250 (it would follow the creek/stream for the most part and connect at 250 around the go karts/ putt putt). The current connector from 250 to route 6 is in major need of an upgrade. Unless that's improved since July.

There's a quick way to get from CP to 250...but it's a local only kinda thing and I keep it to myself :P

Just like a certain non existent parking area that used to be perfect, now, Maintenance :D

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I worked at the park, I'm aware ;) just saying for the masses.

Thabto said:
Castaway Bay was originally a Radisson hotel, then CP bought it. A year later, they turned it into Castaway Bay. I would imagine that if CP bought any of the hotels around there, they would take over hotel operations.

Yeah I remember the Radisson... Difference is, I think that was already a somewhat nice hotel to start. The properties I'm picturing around the CP sign on Cleveland Road just look like a dump.

ROUNDABOUND.

Agreed Shane. You can put lipstick on a pig, and it's still just the old Howard Johnson across from Thirsty Pony. We stayed there once over Halloweekends and the place is a horribly maintained crap-hole, with a LOT of blatant drug activity and vagrancy. The Econo Lodge next door is well maintained and policed, and a decent property.

If CF wanted there are ways that they could work with local government to either enforce code, ordinance and/or criminal violations at the surrounding eyesores. Which would lead them to clean up their act or relinquish licenses or permits. The properties would then eventually become available and interested parties would compete for new ownership.

What CF, or another entity, would do with these is anyones guess. But the HOJO building itself would most likely need to be demolished. The park would know if low-budget new hotel construction, employee housing or new off-sight company facilities would be the most beneficial.

Either way, if the bad properties are cleaned up or replaced, all the surrounding properties benefit and it pushes the drug/criminal element further away.

Most of the properties around the Cleveland Rd and Causeway Drive should just be razed in favor of landscaping, it would really dress up the area. Keep Thirsty Pony and possibly that newer hibachi joint, but much of the area from Perkins Plaza (is it still called that) east to the Causeway on Cleveland Rd looks like crap.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

thedevariouseffect said:

There's a quick way to get from CP to 250...but it's a local only kinda thing and I keep it to myself :P

Just like a certain non existent parking area that used to be perfect, now, Maintenance :D

Are you talking about the road that comes out on Rt 6 near the bowling alley? I don't usually take 250, but sometimes after close I head towards the mall for something to eat.

^^Turn right onto 1st Street right at the end of the causeway then turn left onto Sycamore Line. It's a small road right before a traffic light and connects right to 250 without having to go through the weird loop after dealing with route 6 traffic.

Pete said:

and possibly that newer hibachi joint

I wanted to venture in last time but half my party doesn't enjoy Asian cuisine. Anyone go here for food yet? How was it?

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service