New For 2017: Cedar Point Shores Water Park

I'm surprised that place is still open. We've never seen anyone there.

Brandon

I found some old pictures of some of the properties located near the CP entrance, also some news accounts and pictures of the Chaussee. It is on a blog site called Brady's Lorain County Nostalgia, in the search box type in "Sandusky". There are pictures of some of the motels, cottages, resorts, and restaurants from the area. Also articles about I-90\Rt.2 construction (now I know why it is called Jackie Mayer Highway).

Article stated that when the Chaussee was constructed the entrance was approx. 1 mile east of the present location, maybe where the Sheldon Marsh path is.

This man has some interesting historic photos of the whole area including many CP photos.

I go left onto 6 then to Remington and turn right. At Perkins you can turn right to 250 but a quicker way is turn left to Strub then hit 250 by the Menards. You'll pass by Chet and Matt's, too.
I take Strub all the way to rte. 4 to get home.

^^ I love Dan Brady's blog. And yeah, the original auto entrance was the Sheldon Marsh path. The old brick and iron gates are nearby in that park too. The first chaussee was built on a sand spit, and went straight across from the NASA pumping station to the Point Retreat condos, but over the years the barrier beach has been pushed back by nature. Supposedly parts of the road bed are still there, underwater.

I'm not sure if this was discussed already, but when I was visiting the park yesterday, I parked at SC and the large family slide has already been repainted. It looks fantastic!

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

Will Eerie falls also be repainted?

Yes, it was mentioned that Erie Falls would be getting new paint.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

New paint, or a new color scheme?

I thought I heard just new paint, same color.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

XS NightClub said:

Agreed Shane. You can put lipstick on a pig, and it's still just the old Howard Johnson across from Thirsty Pony. We stayed there once over Halloweekends and the place is a horribly maintained crap-hole, with a LOT of blatant drug activity and vagrancy. The Econo Lodge next door is well maintained and policed, and a decent property.

If CF wanted there are ways that they could work with local government to either enforce code, ordinance and/or criminal violations at the surrounding eyesores. Which would lead them to clean up their act or relinquish licenses or permits. The properties would then eventually become available and interested parties would compete for new ownership.

What CF, or another entity, would do with these is anyones guess. But the HOJO building itself would most likely need to be demolished. The park would know if low-budget new hotel construction, employee housing or new off-sight company facilities would be the most beneficial.

Either way, if the bad properties are cleaned up or replaced, all the surrounding properties benefit and it pushes the drug/criminal element further away.

This is not the HoJo you are speaking of, but several months ago, the owner of the other HoJo at the corner of 250 and Perkins Avenue was in the news... http://www.sanduskyregister.com/Law-Enforcement/2016/06/23/Police-P...t&lp=1&p=1

Proud to have fathered a second generation coaster enthusiast destined to keep me young at heart and riding coasters with a willing partner into my golden years!

It has a brand new paint scheme.

Ride-on

Are you talking about Eerie Falls? Because as of now, the color is the same.

Looking at Breakers' expansion progress on the web cam, it struck me that the new tower is situated a fair distance from the existing building. With that in mind, looking at the rendering seems to confirm that there will indeed be some separation between the buildings, with the expansion connected to the existing structure via some sort of tunnel, as seen toward the left of the image below.

I suppose the reasoning is that there are rooms on that end of the existing tower section, and abutting the new tower directly to it would necessitate the removal or renovation of some or all of those rooms, but still, this struck me as a very Bon Air-like "solution", which seems odd.

Brandon

I thought it would be parallel to the existing tower. Maybe another issue with that would be that it would obstruct views to the existing tower had they placed it directly next to the existing tower. It would be like "hey let's open the curtains to see our view! *opens curtains* Oh, our view is just another hotel wing."

Last edited by Thabto,

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Given the orientation, the new tower will only block views of rooms on the end of the existing tower, which is why I'm surprised they didn't just add directly on to the existing tower and sacrifice those rooms on the end.

I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation, but it's one that I'd love to be privy to.

Brandon

Seeing that they have access to data that we don't, I'm sure their numbers justified building this entire new tower. By building this new tower, you only gain rooms, without losing any, which translates to more revenue. In addition to this, they are expanding the budget options at the Express location. It would appear that the demand is there for more rooms. Given, the current management's experience with resorts, I wouldn't doubt their decisions for a second.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

^^Another thing to note is that with the new orientation of the Breakers addition, (compared to the old Bon air footprint) is that there will now be around 70 more "lake view" rooms which usually command an additional premium compared with parking lot facing ones. I think that might have something to do with it also?

Checking on the webcams, it looks like vertical construction of the new slide complex has begun.

I would love to see Magnum get a new coat of paint with the new water park going in. It's starting to look a bit rusty these days!

Didn't they just lint Magnum a few years ago?

ROUNDABOUND.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service