GCI Woodie - 2006/2007?

Yeah, BirdOfPrey makes a very valid point. Not only is the comfort level a problem, but it would seem to me that it might cost more to build there as opposed to more "solid" locations within the park. You have to pour a lot of foundations for a woodie, and it just might get complicated...

Also, I have to disagree with a couple of comments made earlier regarding hybrid woodies. While making a hybrid woodie in FT would solve some engineering issues, aesthetically it would be a disaster. Of all of the hybrid woodies I've seen, none look good. One of the most appealing aspects of a woodie is its imposing stature, with lots of substantial lumber anchoring it to the ground. Of all the hybrids I've seen, most look like mobile carni rides! Small, square tubing, and PAINTED!!! I just don't see how a hybrid woodie could fit in with the ambiance (sp?) of FT.

Just my opinion though...

Brandon

All I have to say is wishful thinking. Honestly though I really think that Cedar Point should stick with what they are best at. Really what is the point of them installing a new wooden rollercoaster and having it go the way of Mean Streak? I don't know if anyone remembers all the way back to 1991 but Mean Streak was amazing, and everything I could have asked for. It was fast, smooth, long and intense.

In my honest opinion wooden coasters are fine for the smaller parks and the parks that aren't sporting 16 coasters that they already need to maintain. As nice as it would be to have a new wooden coaster it just doesn't seem feasable. Would a wooden coaster generate a two hour plus line? Or would the queues for the steel coasters still dominate length wise? Im almost positive that a new steel coaster whether it be a flyer, floorless or a standard multi-looping sitdown coaster, would provide a better marketing angle.

Look at it this way Mean Streak was installed in 91 and has became nothing other then an attractive coaster to look at, Magnum 89 is still an amazing ride. Blue Streak is all that we have that provides an experience of a decent wooden coaster and we should be greatful we even have that. Also with the direction operations have been going I think the headache of maintaining a majour new wooden coaster is the last thing they need on their plate. How many full time carpenters work on Mean Streak everyday? Too many, that kind of work does not come cheap.

Don't get me wrong I love wooden coasters as much as the next guy or girl. I'm just merely stating the numerous reasons I have a hard time seeing one come in the near future if ever. Not to mention is just seems as if Cedar Fair dislikes them.

Broken, Fixed, Given up, Thrown Away "nine inch nails"

I don't know if anyone remembers all the way back to 1991 but Mean Streak was amazing, and everything I could have asked for. It was fast, smooth, long and intense.

Mean Streak was NEVER that smooth - NEVER. Since its birth in the early nineties, MS was a fast, intense and BRUTAL woodie. I think that most would agree that MS does NOT represent woodies well. I feel that CP was too anxious to break a bunch of records with it that they just didn't care if the ride was smooth or fun - they just wanted it to be faster, higher, etc.

Now, any TRUE coaster enthusiast will tell you that a park isn't complete without a great woodie, and CP could definitely benefit from that. As for maintenance, you have a point. Its a lot of work to maintain, but well worth it for any park, especially if its a world-class woodie!

I'm still in shock that you called MS smooth... maybe you were just young enough then that your body was completely immune to any of the ill-effects of that ride. But, I was 12 when that ride opened, and I can vividly remember everything about my maiden voyage on MS... especially the neck pain and headache that followed.

Brandon

So I'm not a "true coaster enthusiast" because I see the many reasons why Cedar Point probally won't get another woodie? Also when did I say that Mean Streak represents wooden coasters well? Honestly I don't remember Mean Streak being all that terrible in it's debut season. Usually I also try to refrain from speaking for other people hence how I use the word's "In my opinion" often. Really if you were that beat up on a coaster when you were twelve I would hate to see what you will think of wooden coaster or any coaster for that matter during your final visit in 2069. In closing was it really necessary to quote me when my post was directly above yours?
*** Edited 8/5/2005 1:35:38 PM UTC by Phil Bernard***

Broken, Fixed, Given up, Thrown Away "nine inch nails"

I know someone who cracked a rib on Mean Streak in '94 so it was pretty rough back then even.

Going back to Disaster Transport. I have heard that one reason the ride is a bit lamer than it should be is because the trains are longer than on your typical bobsled coaster.

I rode the bobsled coaster at Opryland and it was a very fun, exciting ride. The trains (at least a row shorter and maybe two) really moved up the walls of the trough. The longer trains on Disaster do not allow for as much vertical motion.

I'm told that Cedar Point wanted the longer trains/cars due to perceived capacity issues. It may have been a fatal mistake and might have been what led to the ride being enclosed.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Phil -

I was implying that you weren't (imo) a true enthusiast because you spent almost your entire post saying things I just don't feel are accurate.

I realize that those statements are opinions, but its hard to imagine why you felt MS was smooth, when in my opinion, as well as everyone else I've ever spoken to about it has felt the ride to be a brutal experience. (Not to mention that it has a well-known reputation for this...)

MS hasn't deteriorated a whole lot, either, so I don't think that its a maintenance (or time-related)problem... I feel (and I think most agree) that a lot of the ride quality results from the very poor seats, and not from the fact that the ride is getting worse - 14 years old is not that old for a coaster.

And, no, it wasn't necessary to qoute you, but I wanted to emphasize the statement for clarity. I realize this practice is against the forum policy or whatever, but it helps to make a point sometimes.

So, apologies for sounding like a jack***... I have a tendency to go on the offensive when I hear something I feel is outlandish (I think that I caught that habit from this forum, actually - ;))...

Brandon

Are you the spokesman for all TRUE coaster enthusiasts?

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

Yes, actually.

I was elected chairman in 2003 (its an 8-year term), by a 58% majority. My closest opponent received only 19% of the vote.

Since taking office, I have (and will continue) worked hard for YOU, my constituents to improve parks and rides for the common good. We share a vision... blah, blah, blah...

Brandon

I really like MS. It's rough but in my opinon it is great. If CP was going to put in a coaster I would like it to be like Son of Beast at pki. That ride was great and the loop was intense.

MS hasn't deteriorated a whole lot, either, so I don't think that its a maintenance (or time-related)problem

"Those of you who are familiar with Mean Streak know that we've gone through a lot of trials and tribulations there with that particular ride." - Monty Jasper, Vice President of Maintenance and Construction, CoasterMania '03

For the rest of what he had to say about the ride, click here and scroll down to "Coastermaniac #19."

*** Edited 8/5/2005 2:01:53 PM UTC by Walt***

Walt -

I'm not sure exactly what your point is.

Brandon

If a wooden coaster goes into the park, i think they would take out white water landings, and put that in all the space that the ride is taking up right now.

Just a thought.

-Greg
2005 (Award Winning!) Games Department.

Currently on tour: Who knows where

You said that Mean Streak hasn't changed much and isn't a maintenance problem. I was just showing you where the VP of Maintenance talked about all the trials they had with the ride and how it did change.

*** Edited 8/5/2005 2:23:31 PM UTC by Walt***

See, what I got from that is not so much that the ride has deteriorated, but how dynamic the ride is in reaction to its environment and such. And, I believe that holds true for all woodies. He mentioned that they were making major adjustments as early as 1993, which is only 2 (?) years after its opening, and I find it hard to believe that the ride deteriorated in only 2 years. Most of the ride characteristics are a result of the design, imo.

Brandon

Gerg -

Thats a good idea. I just wish that they could leave WWL intact in one form or another (perhaps a rebuild from scratch?) and incorporate it into the substructure of the proposed woodie.

Brandon

But you said that it was not a maintenance problem, though it's clear it's been a battle for years. You also implied that Mean Streak was rough and bad from the start, where he essentially says that it is a different ride now than it was in 1991 ("we went through a process starting about '94 or '95 really evaluating and changing the ride").
*** Edited 8/5/2005 2:48:38 PM UTC by Walt***

Whats really amazing is how many posts he has in 4 days of being here.lol

<Matt>
101 on Magnum and counting...

But I don't think that he meant that the ride had just then started to change. I think that CP evaluated people's response to the ride and once they found that most people thought it was too rough, they maybe figured the ride needed some break-in time. Then, when they realized that (after 3 years) the ride was flawed, they began making changes. I dunno, maybe I just read that wrong...

And, I wasn't saying that maintenance isn't an issue. I realize that maintenance is an issue with any woodie, but MS ride characteristics are not the result of maintenance, or a lack thereof. The ride was very rough when I rode it the first year.

Brandon

Whats really amazing is how many posts he has in 4 days of being here.lol

Call it dedication...

;)

Brandon

I really like MS. I think some of you need to go to SF:DL and ride Predator. That is so bumpy anywhere you sit. In fact the more you ride it the more you begin to like the beating you get.

<Matt>
101 on Magnum and counting...

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service