GCI Woodie - 2006/2007?

One rumor that has been floating around is that there is a GCI woodie headed to Cedar Point for 2006 (possibly 2007).

Two questions:

1. Given that CP has a limited amount of room, what thoughts does anyone have about where a woodie might fit? A good general guess would be somewhere in Frontier Town, but there's not a surplus of space back there, either.
  2. Does CP need another woodie? They've already got Gemini and Mean Streak, which offer similar, yet very different experiences. Would choosing to add another woodie be a wise decision?

( And before people start saying that this topic is covered somewhere else, please stop. This is (hopefully) going to be a more specific thread dealing primarily with the location and othere specifics of a new woodie )
*** Edited 8/4/2005 2:48:11 PM UTC by djDaemon***

Brandon

Is building another steel coaster a wise decision? I mean, they already have 14 steel coasters.

I'd actually like to see a kiddy woodie. Man, that sort of makes me sound like Michael Jackson......but you know what I mean.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Man, that sort of makes me sound like Michael Jackson......

lmao!

I know what you mean about the steel coasters, already having so damn many. The thing about woodies, though, is that most of the time they need to be set up in a way that takes up a large footprint. Look at Mean Streak, Gemini, SoB, etc. The nature of a woodie is such that you can't easily have the coaster sprawl, since there has to be so many supports.

I would LOVE to see a kick-a** woodie that sprawled all over FT and zoomed through the trees and what-not, but is it feasible?

Brandon

I thought Blue Streak was a woodie too.

The best kind of prize is a SUR-prise.
-Willy Wonka

Go take a look at a map or pictures of Blackpool Pleasure Beach. ANYTHING is feasible.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

P.S this was discussed in a thread. You just have to go back a little.

<Matt>
101 on Magnum and counting...

Why not a woody on Mean Streaks infield? There is certainly enough room for a nice compact woodie in there.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Does CP need another woodie? They've already got Gemini and Mean Streak, which offer similar, yet very different experiences. Would choosing to add another woodie be a wise decision?

Gemini is not a wood coaster. Gemini is a steel coaster surrounded with wood supports (just like the Mine Ride). The only two wood coasters at Cedar Point is Blue Streak and Mean Streak

DjDaemon said:

Does CP need another woodie? They've already got Gemini and Mean Streak, which offer similar, yet very different experiences. Would choosing to add another woodie be a wise decision?

Woodies are to hard to maintain, and they take up to much space. A steel coaster would be better.

*** Edited 8/4/2005 4:36:46 PM UTC by tophat***

The best kind of prize is a SUR-prise.
-Willy Wonka

And you have lots of experience maintaining wood coasters? And it depends on what you consider too much space. If the coaster is good, does it matter that it takes up a lot of space?
Heck, Dragster takes up too much space and its a steel coaster.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Wood coasters are awesome rides - very different experience from steel. The best part (imo) is that you are flying in and around the wooden structure, making it feel like you're going faster.

Also, to me it wouldn't matter a whole lot if it was a wood structure with a steel track. That way, you actually get the best of both worlds.

Brandon

Only way I see a woodie going into Cedar Point is if it's a hybrid (wood tracks, steel structure) like Voyage at Holiday World.

Yeah... as I hear it, MeanStreak isn't the easiest to maintain. BlueStreak doesn't really get to much credit from what i've seen. And well, to me If the woodie is a turn upon turn mass of lumber, the only place I could see it would be on the beach. Wouldn't it be to hard to run a woodie over a bunch of people and other rides? Now...how about something like Tsunami (or J2 as rcdb calls it) at Clementon Amusement Park. Wooden Track with steel supports.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2586.htm?picture=14

That would be a woodie easy to run over other rides and walkways without a massive sideways footprint trying to hold it up.

"Ive got the need, the need for speed!"

If you want to see what park developers can do with a hybrid when stressed for space, look no further than the Cornball Express.

If Cedar Point would ever think about adding another woodie, I would rather them contract The Gravity Group than GCI, but CP seems to have stayed away from rides that feel too out of control. Sure they have rides that are exciting and fast, but their coasters just don't give an element of surprise, in my opinion.

The closest I've ever felt to something like this at CP is on Magnum's turnaround or Gemini's finale helix--both only when the trims are off. This type of feeling is a signature of CCI/TGG. The laterals and directional changes are just so well paced that you feel like anything could happen next.

With that said, I would think that they would be more likely to hire GCI since their rides have less of this element to them.

-Gannon
-B.S. Civil Engineering, Purdue University

I think that a woodie would be nice. Something like the Thunderhead in Dollywood. I rode it for the first time a few weeks ago not expecting too much since I am spoiled from going to CP almost every summer, but I was pleasantly suprised and loved it. I think that something like that would be a nice addition to an already amazing park. Frontiertown would be a prefect spot for a nice woodie.

My Top 5 @ CP 1)MF 2)Magnum 3)TTD 4)Raptor 5) WT

Woodies Suck! I like new high tech coasters. None of this old school wood crap that shakes you around so hard you leave the ride feeling like you need a whole bottle of tylenol!

August 12th, 2005- Eminem and Lil Jon concert at Comerica Park.....I was right at the stage! 50 Cent sprayed water on me, Eminem was an inch away from touching me, and when the concert was over I walked outside and met Lil Jon's Eastside Boyz!

The Dania Beach Hurricane is a great woodie and gives a pretty smooth ride. There are good ones out there.

-Walt Disney

RollerNut, go to Holiday World, ride their coasters, then get back to us with your findings. The conclusion you would arrive to is that your previous statement is pretty ignorant and misinformed.

-Gannon
-B.S. Civil Engineering, Purdue University

I just don't like wooden roller coasters, that's all. I've had some bad experiences with wooden roller coasters. I personally just really hope that CP doesn't build a new wooden coaster.

August 12th, 2005- Eminem and Lil Jon concert at Comerica Park.....I was right at the stage! 50 Cent sprayed water on me, Eminem was an inch away from touching me, and when the concert was over I walked outside and met Lil Jon's Eastside Boyz!

Sweet, one less person in line in front of me. I don't care if he thinks woodies suck. They provide a unique experience compared to steel. Parks need to find a balance between the two, and CP is a little steel heavy right now.

Goodbye MrScott

John

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service