GCI Woodie - 2006/2007?

Anyone who has to ask why Holiday World doesn't have any steel coasters has obviously never been there or is just plain grumpy.

They really don't need them.

I think steel would ruin HW. On the other hand, if they had 10 wooden coasters in the end, even if they were all world-class, I think there would be the need then for some diversity.

I was just wondering. It wasn't because I was grumpy wherever you got that from.

<Matt>
101 on Magnum and counting...

GCI didn't do Hades or The Voyage, TGG did.

I think a steel coaster would be great at Holiday World, but at what cost? A wood coaster can give more bang for the buck. Although, let's not kid ourselves about HW's success. It was all about the water park, not the coasters.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I'd have to disagree to an extent, Jeff. I think that The Raven's status in the coaster polls really gave the park a lot of exposure on TV that they didn't have prior to it's construction. Other great features of the park such as free pop and the extremely friendly staff was a delightful bonus that consequently spread through word of mouth.

With that said, I do agree that the amusement park's size isn't enough to occupy your whole day, so the waterpark helps out quite a bit with giving guests other options to make the visit a whole day event.

The park's perpetual increase in attendance all started with their 1995 expansion and they haven't let up since.

-Gannon
-B.S. Civil Engineering, Purdue University

The coasters get the park on the Discovery Channel, but the free soda, sunscreen, family atmosphere and water park get butts in the park. Look at their growth and the largest spikes all coincide with water park expansions.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Im sorry but people keeping say "Woodie in FT" but isnt that where MeanStreak is located? I mean correct me if i am wrong but isn't it behind or in front of the FT Train staion? Or does that not count since you have to cross tracks to get to it? Yes a woodie does make sense in FT considering it has a "classic" look to it.

As for Holiday World... were they really that known pre-Raven and top 10 coaster list? Well yeah in the area but now they are more known. At least on the East of the Mississippi River.

"Ive got the need, the need for speed!"

Being "known" has nothing to do with attendance.

I think If Cedar Point does get their woodie, I have to agree that we wont see it until 07. I mean think about it, Kinzel said he wants to out with a bang. To all of us on this forum, we think it's a 500 foot coaster. I think that it will be a new coaster to replace Mean Streak. I think you'll probably see something just as fun as what the Raven gives us. I mean even on a busy Day you see nobody riding Mean Streak. I was there on July 6th, one of Cedar Point Busy days and there was only a freakin half hour wait and the ride broke down like twice when I got there. As far as Holiday World, Koch knows what hes doing and likes the traditional Woodies at his park. If he does add a steel coaster though, look for something the size of Nitro to come in. Nothing too big, but just good enough where it won't ruin the landscape of the park.

I would love to see GCI remake the CP Cyclone, anywhere in the park, just give me that twisted mass of wood!

As for MS, it needs more than the daily carpentry if you ask me. And on the subject of Holiday World, I will be there opening day for Voyage unless CP gets something to top it. I think HW will get another woodie or two until the B&M comes, and I think it will be a small invert. But that is still a ways off, so I'll concentrate on riding the Voyage as much as possible next year.

As for a Gravity Group woodie, that would be nice, but I don't think the supports would fit in Frontier Town. And I would like to see a tunnel that at least looks like its actually underground, because an actual tunnel at CP isn't exactly very easy to do thanks to the high water table and where the hard rock begins.

Blue Streak crew 2007
ATL Matterhorn Tri. 2008
Three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40, and a hammer. Duct tape if it moves and it shouldn't, WD-40 if it doesn't move and should, and the hammer as the last resort.

make mean streaks baby

"Mean Streak crew 2004"

I have to agree with BlueStreak64 in regards to HW getting an invert soon. Although I think they might get one sooner rather than later. Unless they want to build a non-terrain twister woodie, I expect them to add an invert soon. I think that they have the potential to build one we haven't seen since the likes of Nemesis in the UK. With their natural terrain and drive for packing a punch big into smaller rides, I think that they would have a real winner there and something extremely unique to the United States.

-Gannon
-B.S. Civil Engineering, Purdue University

I agree with TopThrill420 (and BlueStreak64) about the tunnels. They would provide an amazing solution to at least part of the space problem that CP, ummm, doesn't have...

Putting in some sweet tunnels similar to Hades for a new woodie (out & back combined with a twister or two (or three!)) that swoops through FT would be spectacular for both riders and observers alike. It would be great to have a couple bunny hills crossing over top of the pathways.

As for the high water table, they can work around that. In NYC, for example, a lot of buildings (including the WTC) are built with their foundations below the water table. They simply build a giant tub around the structure, and CP could do something similar with their tunnels.

Brandon

I hate to bring this topic back, but with all 3 pictures we saw of White Water Landings Area this weekend, there looks like they're is plenty of room for something like a GCI Woodie. I totally agree with you djDaemon, that we could put some really cool elements in this area.

Last time I checked, Gemini was not a woodie.

Blue Gemini Always Wins.

I didn't say Gemini was a woodie. What I was saying was we have room for a GCI hybird in White Water Landings spot.

Shawn,

I was talking to Djdameon, not you. Sorry for the confusion.

Blue Gemini Always Wins.

Where does he say that?

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

Somewhere.

Gemini is a hybrid woodie. Forgive me if I used "shorthand" somewhere in my posts, as I am chronically lazy.

Brandon

The very frist thread. Just a technicality. Everyone rips me when I make a small mistake.

I think they do need antoerh woodie. Persoanlyl Mean Streak is not the greatest. The Beast is the epidimy of woodie's in my book. Even if they could build a coaster as good as Blue Streak but on a much larger scale that would be cool.

Then again, woodies get better over time. Maybe in ten years MS will be great. All I know is that those damn brakes in the middle of the first hill suck.

Blue Gemini Always Wins.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service