GCI Woodie - 2006/2007?

Chief Wahoo said:
Is building another steel coaster a wise decision? I mean, they already have 14 steel coasters.

First of all, there is a much bigger variety of steel coasters than wood, so it's understandable that they have more, like most larger parks do. Second, the GP prefers steel over wood as a whole.

Oh boy, look out! Someone saying they know what the general public wants!

(MrScott)

Mayor, Lighthouse Point

Have you ever noticed that in parks where there is a good selection between wood and steel coasters, that the wood coasters almost always have shorter lines? Considering the different capacities and that steel coasters generally have a higher capacity than most wood coasters, I think that it is a reasonable conclusion that the majority of the GP prefer steel over wood. I couldn't even count how many times I heard "I don't want to go on that because its wood, it doesn't look safe." (refering to Blue Streak, Mean Streak, and often times CCMR and Gemini)

Blue Streak crew 2007
ATL Matterhorn Tri. 2008
Three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40, and a hammer. Duct tape if it moves and it shouldn't, WD-40 if it doesn't move and should, and the hammer as the last resort.

The Beast and Son of Beast are 2 amazing coasters. Beast cracked my top 5 coasters, and i've ridden it once. SoB is good, but rough on the knees. It was actually my first coaster of 2005.

BDash | Toro | Maverick | Bizarro | Voyage | RFII | X2 | TTD | DBack | Cornball

The reason this could be possible is because GCI coasters can go YEARS without any true retracking.

Lightning Racer hasnt had any real considerable tracking done since it opened in 2000. 5 years later it still runs like a champ. Is it that intense? No. So if you had to do some retracking every 2-3 years and even still, thats minimal compared to other designs, is it worth it? Heck yes!

Thunderhead is a great example. Its one of the most disorienting rides I have ever been on and it delivers with great airtime and even laterals. Its key feature is just a relentless layout IMO. Its got insane speed from start to finish.

GCI prides themselves on some of the best construction in the business. Only Gwazi has seemed to roughen itself up but especially as of late, their rides have held together nearly as well as steel.

djDaemon said:
Somewhere.

Gemini is a hybrid woodie. Forgive me if I used "shorthand" somewhere in my posts, as I am chronically lazy.

Still incorrect. Its a Hybrid steel. The rails are what define what a coaster is. It has steel tubular rails and is therefore, a steel coaster. It uses wooden supports but it has no bearing on the performance of the coasters IMO.
*** Edited 11/15/2005 12:06:12 AM UTC by CoasterReal***

Wow.

Okay, so yes - Gemini does have a steel track. And it is a hybrid.

And you need a hobby.

Brandon

Does CP have enough room for a woodie?

Of course. The space WWL left is huge. You could easily fit more than one new ride in there. Perhaps a woodie and a water coaster. :) That whole boardwalk idea by WT has been thrown around too, not that we know if it's viable or not.

Do they need new wood?

Definetly.

Are they?

Hopefully, but knowing CP's history of mostly steel, probably not. But who knows. :)

Erikjc said:

First of all, there is a much bigger variety of steel coasters than wood

That's really not true. Just because there are more different steel coaster trains doesn't mean that they're more diverse. It all depends on the layout. And woodie layouts tend to be more creative.
*** Edited 11/15/2005 3:50:43 PM UTC by bobthecoasterguy***

Go Cubbies!
2007 hopefuls: SFGAdv, CP, PKI, HW, DP, HP, GL!

BlueStreak64 said:
Have you ever noticed that in parks where there is a good selection between wood and steel coasters, that the wood coasters almost always have shorter lines?

Yes Definately! I think the reason behind that is the majority of people including myself prefer steel because its smooth. Especially when you have rollercoasters like Millennium Force and Magnum XL 200. Wooden coasters are nice, but a lot of people don't like the roughness. I myself think you have to enjoy a certain amount of roughness from a wooden coaster. You bring another good point as that you can do more creative layouts with Wooden coasters. We'll just have to wait until 2007.

djDaemon said:
Wow.

Okay, so yes - Gemini does have a steel track. And it is a hybrid.

And you need a hobby.

I am into photography, black and white and coasters. Im also a part time supervisor at UPS - Maumee Hub (#1 in country) as well as playing various console and computer games.

I also tend to my girlfriend who lives 2 hours away at school and see her at least once a week.

Ive got hobbies. Part of those include studying roller coasters. Plus, the stuff I mentioned is pretty much basic knowledge. I am a detailed oriented person.

if you want to see an intense wooden coaster check out the J2 at Clementon Amusement Park in new jersey. it is by far one of the most incredible rides i have been on. it also has a great gimmick no one under 21 may sit in the back part of the train
http://www.rcdb.com/id2586.htm

Thats an interesting coaster. Is the supports on that Steel? It looks that way but I can't tell for sure. Also why does it have an age limit on the back of the train?

CoasterReal - I was just poking fun at your comment, in that it was really sort of "nitpicky". I didn't mean to sound insulting.

Brandon

I was just returning the favor...no hard feelings :P

I looked at the picture today and realized that the supports are steel. I must have been tired or something to not have realized that. Anyway, who thinks a coaster like that would look good at Cedar Point? I'd love to see hybird like Voyage with the 90 degree turns and maybe one sharp helix. *** Edited 11/17/2005 3:31:28 AM UTC by Shawn Meyer***

Shawn Meyer
the reason for the age limit is because it is one of the roughest backs you will ever feel. also one of the most fun you will have riding a coaster the final part of the J2 has incredible bunny hills with excellent air time. i was in awe of what larry baker the owner of clementon did with such little space. cedar point can do that too.

The space that White Water landing uses like 4 acres I believe. If a woodie went in like that one, they'd have to extend it over a ride or something. By the way, please don't use both my names, just respond to me as Shawn.

Does Anyone think they'll keep the station for White Water Landing? At least maybe the outer structure? It seems like they're going all the way down with White Water Landing.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

It would be interesting to see how they would fit a coaster in there.........not that they are.

Though I wonder how they would..?

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Could the split the lift? Head up in one direction, turn it 90 degrees then run it up again? And if they wanted to get real fancy with it, they could build the lift in four parts making a square and then proceed to pack the mass of wood inside itself for one crazy ride.

But thats just RCT thinking...

"Ive got the need, the need for speed!"

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service