Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Hey guys. I finally found and got to look at this trademark application and I noticed something weird.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85086470

Thats the link I found with it. Take a closer look at International Class 020.

Class Status: Active
Non-metal and non-leather key chains, picture frames, paper picture frames for souvenir photographs; plastic pennants; non-metal beach safes
Basis: 1(b)
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

If memory serves me right, Raptor, Mantis, TTD, MF, Woodstock, Maverick, STR, and Magnum have pictures. How many flat rides have photos?

Last edited by Wicked Twister 90,

Hmmmmm.....interesting find!

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I'm pretty sure that they just trademark for the same batch of uses every time (look at some of their other trademarks and notice the list is basically always the same, and typically includes things they've never even sold with the corresponding trademark on it). Also consider that they could put the logo on the Kodak picture frames for the pictures taken by the Kodak photographers.

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

I honestly don't know what to think of this. I have no clue what they are building, and I really have no predictions.

This excites me. lol

Dodgem Enthusiast

Student at THE Ohio State University

Wicked Twister 90 said:
Hey guys. I finally found and got to look at this trademark application and I noticed something weird.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85086470

Thats the link I found with it. Take a closer look at International Class 020.

Class Status: Active
Non-metal and non-leather key chains, picture frames, paper picture frames for souvenir photographs; plastic pennants; non-metal beach safes
Basis: 1(b)
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

If memory serves me right, Raptor, Mantis, TTD, MF, Woodstock, Maverick, STR, and Magnum have pictures. How many flat rides have photos?

That's very interesting, nice find. I don't really go into the gift shops, do the flat rides have shirts, and all the other goodies with the name on it?

80+ coasters and counting

For all of the contradictory evidence that we've gathered here over the past month or so, it really is starting to seem like the new attraction could be anything. Personally, I agree with a few of the more recent posts that say that there is a noticable lack of the typical PR machine grinding away this close to an announcement. With Maverick and STR, it seemed like there was so much atmosphere and anticipation building being done by the company, and this year, it seems TOO minimal. No press materials have appeared in the hands of the usual suspects (CoasterBob on youtube, not a peep from Jeff at coasterbuzz as far as I've heard), no elaborate wordplay to puzzle out on the blog minus a few interpretations of the words 'fun' and 'teen'. Anticipating something even as spectacular as a 380-400 foot Starflyer is even starting to seem a little much.

And, does anyone else remember during the lead up to Maverick that many people were claiming the ride would be an Aquatrax (and that they had this information from figuring out the clues, as well as from 'reliable sources')? Could the starflyer just be an aquatrax redux?

And last year, when STR was announced, my first thought was, is Whyte Lightning for next year??

A very nice find Wicked Twister 90! Note too that it says "paper" picture frames for souvenir photographs. That definitely sounds like on-ride photos. The real question is whether this is indeed part of a "blanket" trademark or the real deal.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

It would make sense that its indeed part of the blanket trademark...it would save them from having to reapply in the future should they ever choose to add such a feature, correct?

Sorry everybody. I don't want to burst bubbles here but i found the same thing about the pictures and all of the souvenirs and mentioned it a few pages back and someone explained to me (I think it was DJ) that just because they file a trademark for all of those things doesn't meant they are using them just that they don't want anybody else to be able to use them.

-Mike

Forgive me if this has already been addressed, but these speculation topics are always incredibly hard for me to read more than a few posts from at a time. I know there's been a bunch of debate about "reminding people of CP's past" or something to that effect. If whatever they're building is going to be the "tallest/fastest/anything-est" of it's kind, perhaps the throwback is harking back to their days of every new ride breaking some kind of record? Just a thought to add some fuel to your fire.

^I thought the same...even maverick had the first 'beyond 90 degree drop', right?

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

vwhoward said:
^I thought the same...even maverick had the first 'beyond 90 degree drop', right?

nope others had steeper before it

Fair enough...anything about maverick a first or -est when it came out?

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

coolkid2345 said:
^Cedar Point tried to sell Demon Drop for 4 years. Rather than just having the ride at the park, Cedar Fair can make it look like their parks get something new (or refurbished) every year. I have heard from a few people that Demon Drop is doing pretty well at Dorney Park. I am thinking if Dorney didn't get Demon Drop this year, that they would have received a Starlight Experience attraction. Personally, I thought Demon Drop should have went to Michigan's Adventure before Dorney Park. MiA seems to not really fit with Cedar Fair.

I rode Demon Drop at Dorney a few weeks ago. They did paint it (looks good), but it's as rough as it was at the Point. I rode it at the end of last year, just to say goodbye.
I did see it get stuck at the top and "walked down" the riders. I never saw that when it was in Sandusky. The ride was done for the remainder of the day.

coasternut

If the logog were the overhead view of the new Starflyer it would seat 32 people. Say the ride takes 5 minutes including loading and unloading. 32 people every five minutes = 384 people per hour = least popular ride in CP history.

Minime15834 said:
Sorry everybody. I don't want to burst bubbles here but i found the same thing about the pictures and all of the souvenirs and mentioned it a few pages back and someone explained to me (I think it was DJ) that just because they file a trademark for all of those things doesn't meant they are using them just that they don't want anybody else to be able to use them.

Indeed, and DBCP made a similar comment above.

When it comes to these trademarks, CP covers all possible bases for ride merchandising, even things that will probably never see a shelf in a souvenir shop. The trademark app mentions things like "shoes", "non-metal beach safes" and "cameras". If CP thinks there may be any possibility of selling some ride-branded merchandise in the future, they apply for the right to do so.

So, I suppose the moral of the story is that seeing "souvenir photographs" in the trademark app doesn't indicate that the ride will actually offer such a thing.

Brandon

djDaemon said:

Minime15834 said:

Indeed, and DBCP made a similar comment above.

When it comes to these trademarks, CP covers all possible bases for ride merchandising, even things that will probably never see a shelf in a souvenir shop. The trademark app mentions things like "shoes", "non-metal beach safes" and "cameras". If CP thinks there may be any possibility of selling some ride-branded merchandise in the future, they apply for the right to do so.

So, I suppose the moral of the story is that seeing "souvenir photographs" in the trademark app doesn't indicate that the ride will actually offer such a thing.

Also, couldn't such souvenir photos include postcards?

Postcards are actually listed separately on the application.

Here's the complete list:
Posters, notepads, postcards, pens and pencils, newsletters in the field of amusement parks, photographs, paper pennants, non-metal and non-leather key chains, picture frames, paper picture frames for souvenir photographs, plastic pennants, non-metal beach safes, souvenir sport bottles sold empty, beverageware, shot glasses, cups, clothing, namely shoes, t-shirts, shorts, sweat shirts, sweat pants, sweat shorts, and headwear, namely hats and caps, amusement park rides, puzzles, stuffed toy animals, amusement park services

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

I tried (googled) to look up the patents for MaXair and SkyHawk but was unable to find them. Would be nice to just officially compare the two lists.

Secondly, are any Cedar Fair parks getting a coaster next year?

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service