Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

And technically, Cedar "Fair" consisted of only Cedar Point until they purchased Valley Fair. I would imagine that he was just thinking of the company and its history as a whole.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

Chuck Wagon said:
I'll be the first to be a hater and say that I don't like Facebook as an announcement medium. The people that complain about everything typically out shout all others. I'm sure there will be raving complaints after the announcement.

In fairness, I guess those comments will happen regardless of where the announcement happens.

I agree. I would much rather have a day and time to check the website as opposed to a random FB status update.

Also makes me wonder if this is an approach that would be used to announce a major attraction or not. They have to know that the people on FB are all going to be expecting a coaster, no matter what, so there would certainly be some hating going on.

Pushing the announcement out via FB probably helps CP gain an audience, which is probably quite valuable to their marketing efforts.

And given that many people are on (or at least very "near") FB most of the time, it's a great way to get the info out rapidly. I like it, personally.

Brandon

Chuck Wagon said:
And technically, Cedar "Fair" consisted of only Cedar Point until they purchased Valley Fair. I would imagine that he was just thinking of the company and its history as a whole.

Cedar Fair was formed when they bought Valleyfair. That's where the name came from. Cedar Fair had always had two parks. I wouldn't mind a star flyer...it could be cool. Maybe bring back the Jumbo Jet. More likely than a Cyclone remake.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

djDaemon said:
Pushing the announcement out via FB probably helps CP gain an audience, which is probably quite valuable to their marketing efforts.

And given that many people are on (or at least very "near") FB most of the time, it's a great way to get the info out rapidly. I like it, personally.

Oh, I don't disagree with that at all. You can have the information ready for 1/2 a million people to see in the blink of an eye. But you can still push it out on FB simultaneously with the announcement on the homepage at a scheduled date and time.

It's more so the "tomorrow is the big announcement, I can't sleep!" that I love that comes with a scheduled announcement.

I think it makes a bit more sense to do it via FaceBook.

During past announcements, Cedar Point's hosting service has proven woefully under powered for the assault that comes with the announcement. Facebook shouldn't have that same issue and should be able to handle it just fine.

Goodbye MrScott

John

You can subscribe to CP's Facebook page via sms so they will send you their posts directly to your phone. A good marketing idea since some of their posts are advertising for the park and others. Plus you'll know right away...hopefully. Although when we do finally know, no more speculating forums, which is always half the fun.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

The announcement won't be random. You'll eventually know when and what time. Don't be hatin'!

Director of Communications at Cedar Point

Awesome. That's great news! Thanks Tony.

I'm really looking forward to this now, picturing a pier like this being built: http://www.statenislandusa.com/images/pier_aerial.jpg

With the star flyer ride constructed on the end. Perhaps this is the first phase of the boardwalk/pier section of the park? Maybe a nice restraunt built out there in a couple years?

A pier like that would be incredible. Sadly, I fear we're not going to see such a thing.

Brandon

Agreed.

Ride on, my friends!
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/TopThrillCedarPoint

kylepark said:
I'm really looking forward to this now, picturing a pier like this being built: http://www.statenislandusa.com/images/pier_aerial.jpg

With the star flyer ride constructed on the end. Perhaps this is the first phase of the boardwalk/pier section of the park? Maybe a nice restraunt built out there in a couple years?

So like this http://img22.imageshack.us/i/boardwalkthing.png/ then? (Please excuse my poor skills at paint) Though as previously said, it is unlikely.

Edit: CP (on Facebook) just said "Cedar Point loves it's fans, and to prove it, you'll be the first to know about our plans for 2011. Let the game begin." Also, they changed their profile picture. http://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint#!/photo.php?pid=5314114&id=10625691462&ref=fbx_album

Last edited by TheRealLasagna,

On second thought let's not go to Six Flags, 'tis a silly place.

The profile picture has a retro Cedar Point look with "CP 1870" in the middle...

hm...

In the summer of 1870, local businessperson Louis Zistel opened a small beer garden, bathhouse and dance floor on the peninsula. He would bring guests over to Cedar Point on his steamboat, Young Reindeer, for the modest price of 25 cents. By the 1880s it was noted in the local paper that “sailing and bathing parties to Cedar Point are all the rage.”

So we're getting a giant bathtub. :)

I like it...so it will definitely have a link to the past, but this we already knew...

This could be fun. :)

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I wonder if they will send out media kits to the local newspapers/tv channels again.

From today's press release: "Our followers on Facebook are among our biggest fans."

We all know PointBuzz is where the park's biggest fans hang out. I say announce it here. :)

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

It should have read:

"Our followers on Facebook are among our most annoying."

:)

Brandon

djDaemon said:

DBCP said:
Somehow, I have some trouble believing that many people will "remember" the Sea Swing...

The fact that the old swing has been discussed here for weeks now sort of contradicts that theory. :)

Still, there is no way he'd use such a statement as a way to hype a ride. We are all, for the most part, hardcores. We have all read the book and seen the documentary with the water swing in it. I would bet the majority of people who follow Cedar Point have no idea it existed.

In addition to that, I still cannot see the connection between a swing that dipped you in the Lake and never took you more than a few feet off the ground and a 300 foot swing on dry land. When you walk by the swing near Maverick now do you think "wow that reminds me of the old sea swing?" I would say no, and that ride is far closer to the sea swing than any Starflyer.

Perhaps, but unless you have a better theory...

:)

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service