Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

To the people thinking this article is a decoy, answer me one simple question...Why would a fake article for a new ride, mention a legit ride manufacturer as funtime in a bad light?

Dothese people really believe that funtime would intentionally hurt theirbusiness image to let cedar point trick readers? Nope.

if they ended up being the good guys in the end, sure. That's the ONLY way it would make sense.

Last edited by thescythian,

Has any other news source reported this yet? Toledo, Cleveland.... and did (I forgot his name now) Mr.Starflyer guy call the Sandusky Register, or how did the Register even find this info. Seems as if the Register is the only source of this info so far.

I am hoping that a starflyer is going to Canadas Wonderland (reason why funtime would be cool with the HOAX), and Gravity Group's woody is goin to CP.

Who cares about Mondial, they were never threatened to be sued and never commented back.

OK I may be living in fantasy land, but........

Not to mention the "?" in the title of the article.

A quick google search shows nothing but other enthusiast sites referencing the Sandusky Register article.

Being that Cedar Fair is a fairly large and publicly traded corporation, you would expect at least some blurbs in other places.

Last edited by thescythian,

I don't know if anyone has considered this, but the second clue might mean that it's going to be tall?

thescythian said:

A quick google search shows nothing but other enthusiast sites referencing the Sandusky Register article.

Being that Cedar Fair is a fairly large and publicly traded corporation, you would expect at least some blurbs in other places.

The question mark in the title is probably because the information is new, and the case hasn't been filed yet. The attorney that funtime is going to use is also on their original patent for the ride, which can be viewed on their website. If the only person the whiner from funtime sent the information to is the sandusky register, then that's why you're not hearing much from other news, this isn't massive breaking news for most people.

Mirfin said his company, which has built 22 StarFlyers so far, thought it had a deal to build one for Cedar Point after amusement park executives flew to Orlando, Fla., several months ago to look at a StarFlyer at the Magical Midway.

News flash for Mirfin, you either have a contract or you don't. If they didn't sign an agreement, they have absolutely ZERO obligation to get the ride built by funtime. There was no mention of a breach of contract anywhere in the article, it's just funtime being the jaded ex-boyfriend and having to contact the friends about the way cedar point "is".

80+ coasters and counting

New CP rides, contraversey, and even a two hour power outage (KI on July 4th) hit the larger Cleveland, Toledo, Cinci markets.

Tim Seydell said:

thescythian said:

The question mark in the title is probably because the information is new, and the case hasn't been filed yet. The attorney that funtime is going to use is also on their original patent for the ride, which can be viewed on their website. If the only person the whiner from funtime sent the information to is the sandusky register, then that's why you're not hearing much from other news, this isn't massive breaking news for most people.

Mirfin said his company, which has built 22 StarFlyers so far, thought it had a deal to build one for Cedar Point after amusement park executives flew to Orlando, Fla., several months ago to look at a StarFlyer at the Magical Midway.

News flash for Mirfin, you either have a contract or you don't. If they didn't sign an agreement, they have absolutely ZERO obligation to get the ride built by funtime. There was no mention of a breach of contract anywhere in the article, it's just funtime being the jaded ex-boyfriend and having to contact the friends about the way cedar point "is".

In regards to your original point though, just as bad as it is for them to let someone write a fake article making them look bad, don't you think it is just as bad if this article was real? (which it probably is).

As stupid as it sounds, they could be in kahootz with cedar point/fair and agreeing to the hoax just to stir up some more controversy in hype. If, in the end, Cedar Fair IS actually giving funtime some business, it would make both companies look pretty awesome.

Honestly, I would rather have a starflyer than a remake of some boring old wooden coaster. I just think this is all part of the hype machine. Whatever it is, it will be awesome. It all still seems very mysterious and open for speculation. At least until we see some more validation of these events.

Yes we agree on that, I think funtime made a huge mistake in releasing this information to the Sandusky Register, it sounds anger driven and is quite pathetic to try and "get back at" cedar point. If this is the way they are going to do business then they've deeply hurt their public and business image.

Someone else here posted something just like this, and it sounds like a very childish reaction by them to finding out cedar point is using anothers ride instead of theirs. Why would another company even consider funtimes if they are going to act like this and release private information on the company if they don't get their way.

I'd still like to know if cedar point did ask funtime to build a more wind-stable version before going to mondial.

Last edited by Tim Seydell,

-The fate of Cedar Point’s new ride could already be up in the air as a patent war brews between two ride manufacturers. 
-The Wind Seeker, however, is a patent-infringing copy of the StarFlyer — a tower ride the Funtime Group made and owns a patent on, Mirfin said. 
-“It’s almost like Mondial’s plagiarizing our idea,” said Mirfin, director of the Funtime Group and owner of Cottingham Agencies, which holds the patent for StarFlyer. “It makes us very, very angry.” 
-“Now, not only do we not get the contract, now we’ve got to get into litigation,” Mirfin said. “The ones that we’ll be suing will be Cedar Point and not Mondial.” 

The language in this article is very odd for industry professionals. Wouldn't an attorney commenting on an article and a ride manufacturer refer to cedar point as Cedar Fair, that would be the defendant in a legal action and the name of the company that'd sign any contracts for ride purchases.
Also, if it's a patent infringement the defendant would be Mondial.
The attorney for Funtime said litigation is unlikely, but the owners says they're suing cedar point.
Finally, Mondial announced in February, but Funtime says they met with CP a few months ago.
-

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Tim Seydell said:

News flash for Mirfin, you either have a contract or you don't. If they didn't sign an agreement, they have absolutely ZERO obligation to get the ride built by funtime.

Not true. Under the right circumstances oral agreements ("handshake agreements") are just as binding as written ones.

And, yeah, it makes no sense to sue CF/CP for patent infringement--that would be Mondial. CF/CP's only liability would appear to be for possible breach of contract.

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

In its news announcement in early February, Mondial said it came up with the new ride “following requests from clients who wanted a StarFlyer-style ride they could still operate within normal wind conditions.”

Forgot to add that in my prior post

Captain Hawkeye said:

Tim Seydell said:

News flash for Mirfin, you either have a contract or you don't. If they didn't sign an agreement, they have absolutely ZERO obligation to get the ride built by funtime.

Not true. Under the right circumstances oral agreements ("handshake agreements") are just as binding as written ones.

Didn't know that, thanks for clearing that up. Can a handshake really constitute an agreement of something worth millions, and if so, do both sides need a lawyer present at the time? It just strikes me odd that something of that scale can be argued in court by a handshake which one side may or may not claimed happen? (I'm not speaking that last sentence in this case, just in general)

djcarl said:
2011 skyline. I'm assuming its 400ft.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/djcarlotta/cp2011.jpg

That really puts the height of this thing in perspective.
My god, that is a tall swing

I have to say that something just does not feel right about this article. I don't know specifically what it is about the scenario but it does not feel right. CP said we would be surprised and that it would be something that 85% of us have never seen. We have been talking about starflyer rides for at least a month so how would we be surprised? Maybe this is the surprise, CP gets everyone on board and the register inks the story. It seems far fetched but I know how tricky CPTony is when it comes to the games. And we all know that the register eats up anything they can do to help out the CP operations. I am just saying that I would not be at all surprised if they pulled something like this off.

No coaster will ever be too fast or too tall!

Maybe Cedar Point and Funtime's representitives were golfing while discussing the ride, and Cedar Point's people whooped 'em, so Funtime's trying to get back. ;)

On second thought let's not go to Six Flags, 'tis a silly place.

djcarl said:
2011 skyline. I'm assuming its 400ft.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz241/djcarlotta/cp2011.jpg

Nicely done. I have to say that a 400' ride in that area just kind of sticks out there like a sore thumb. I think it would be a great ride until the nostalgia wears off but then it will just be there. One thing that will never get old will be the vomiting sessions at that altitude and speed. I can see some really gross and disturbing issues coming from the splash zone if this thing goes in. Maybe the sweeps will get a raise for working in that section. ;)

Thats what I am thinking, but still keep trying to think reality, LOL

I think my reaction stems from not liking to be fooled, but the result could be fooling myself.

i am 100% with you on that!!!

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service