Cedar Point's 2011 ride will target thrill seekers

Way to go there Register. Preempt the park's announcement and completely destroy any chance of ever getting any interviews/exclusives from the largest news maker in your market ever again.

The article says that Funtime didn’t get the contract, so how is CF culpable in this? Patent law expert I am not, but I didn't think there was a legal precedent for suing the customer of a rival company for choosing their product over yours.

What I really don’t like about this whole brouhaha is that-if this is true-we are going to be the testbed for an entirely new ride design… again.

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

remainthat way. "Roller Coaster Capital" doesn't refer to only the quantity -it's the quality. We believe we have the best coaster collection on theplanet, plain and simple.

We read you loud and clear that youwant a new coaster - but we also have to maintain our balance sheet.What we have in store for 2011 is a much-needed addition that willthrill all who ride it. Will you like it? It's too early to say. Butwe'd withhold judgment until you have a chance to experience ityourself.

this in my own opinion is wrong for cedar point to say this they barely keep the rides they have now operating with out issues and and bad way to being construction on a new ride i look for Six Flags to get !9 coasters by next year as it is there anniversary year

If i am wrong tell me
I am not prefect neither is anyone else

What I don't understand is why Funtime would sue Cedar Point and not Mondial. Isn't Mondial the manufacturer who is allegedly infringing on the patent, not Cedar Point who is only the customer? CP didn't engineer the ride.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

We-o-we-oooo said:
Way to go there Register. Preempt the park's announcement and completely destroy any chance of ever getting any interviews/exclusives from the largest news maker in your market ever again.

The article says that Funtime didn’t get the contract, so how is CF culpable in this? Patent law expert I am not, but I didn't think there was a legal precedent for suing the customer of a rival company for choosing their product over yours.

If the Register hadn't picked up FunTime's bellyaching, somebody else would have. The story here isn't just that ZOMG WE'RE GETTING A STARFLYER KNOCKOFF, but also that a ride manufacturer is publicly threatening to take legal action against one of the largest economic drivers in their city. The Register isn't there to be a mouthpiece of the park, though it often acts as such, it's there to inform the public. CP execs might be a bit raw for a while, but things will cool down when they realize they need the paper's help for one reason or another. The plight of a journalist... it's always something.

What I really don’t like about this whole brouhaha is that-if this is true-we are going to be the testbed for an entirely new ride design… again.

"New for 2011: Shoot the Rapids 2.0. If you didn't ride it last year, it's new to you!"

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Gee, it looks like they are getting a star flyer. Why diden't I think of that?

What a suprise. (end sarcasm)

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Register in town? I'm going tomorrow, and I bet this will be front page news.

My question is, what the hell happens now? Are we going to get a statement from the park about this, or are they sticking with their plans to announce on Tuesday?

Last edited by Corkscrew Headache,

Looks like the Register just opened a big can of WHOOPS!

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

It'd be nice to see CP open it's own can....of Whoop-a**!!!

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Wow this sucks really bad. I love the hype, Now we know what we MIGHT get. Also now we know that there is a legal battle for a new ride, and we might get screwed out of a ride this year because of it.

That article in the Register says that CP will be making their announcement on the 24th at 2 p.m. as planned.

Im sure CP has a signed contract at this point. There is no turning back now. The ride will go in as planned, just may be a few legal bumps in the road.

Beeeeehhhhhhh!!!!!

Yeah if it does lets ride the lawsuit swings!

Well, after looking at Mondial's site, there should be a lawsuit with HUSS as well.

Okay i'm not just saying this because I personally don't want a starflyer (spinning makes me sick) but it could be that cedar point possibly paid the register to write this story just to cause some crazy buzz, which clearly it already has..because the story just doesn't even completely make sense. Why on Earth would Funtime have any reason whatsoever to sue Cedar Point because Mondial stole their patented ride design or whatever?

-Mike

The "you know what" is going to hit the fan with the park and the Register, I'm sure. Or should I say, hit the windmill? ;)

Why would the Register publish this article? I mean...duh...did they not know that CP has been dropping clues on fb? Did they not know about the big announcement date? I would think that CP would've let the media know they were going to making an annoucement and when.

Is it legal for a reputable publisher to publish a completely fake article?

Possibly. I don't really know anything about the rules of newspapers and whatnot, but I would think as long as they eventually state that they made it up with permission from all the mentioned companies it would be okay. But as I said, I really don't have a clue.

-Mike

Who knows... this could be another 'Magnum is Sinking' Article... a very well thought of article...

I would tho love the Starflyer (or whatever its called) anyway XD

Last edited by Sealedseven,

Hmmm...I'm torn how I feel. If I was Funtime, I'd be pissed and have hurt feelings as well. But, I don't think the lawsuit is going to go anywhere...I'm sure Mondial made sure there were enough differences to avoid legal action...I mean, just look at their product portfolio. Is Mondial a company that just knocks off everyone's ride ideas, or are they known for creating any kind of popular original concept?

Anyway, I'd rather Cedar Point have gone with the original Funtime Starflyer...what gave the ride all its scariness was the very structure-less simple seats with chains...and they're reliable, right?

The Starflyer has been proven to give great rides...why risk going with the new knock-off iPhone on the block? To me, the metal arms would create a stiffer, less open ride experience, which kills off the charm of the original Starflyer. I hate to complain, but after StR, Cedar Point has completely lost my confidence in their ride decisions.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service