Cedar Point Announces Valravn - Dive Coaster for 2016 - 10 World Records!

I wouldn't normally link to this kind of article, but I can't resist in this case.

http://themeparks.about.com/od/rollercoasternews/tp/Will-Cedar-Poin...ecords.htm

The title of the article is "Will Cedar Point's Valravn Coaster Really Break 10 Records?"

Spoiler alert: Yes.

The author goes through all 10 records and essentially says, "yup" for each.

OK, then. Thanks for investigating.

Join us tomorrow for our 50-point list article, "Does the United States Really Have 50 States?"

Walt Schmidt - Co-Publisher, PointBuzz
PointBuzz on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Home to the Biggest Fans of the World's Best Amusement Park

I heard it was actually 58 states. ;)

do they get an additional record for breaking 10 records broken at once?

No. If memory serves me right, Millennium Force broke more records when it opened.

CP Maverick said:
No. If memory serves me right, Millennium Force broke more records when it opened.

Millennium also broke 10 records.

Most rides in a park breaking ten records! ;)

Didn't they already hold that "record", since they took out ride to install the new one, isn't it really zero sum?

And that really seems like marketing overreach to get to the number 10.

But, If it works, like some of the posts here suggest. Then Marketing is doing its job well with the low attention general public that just sees the big number.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

#11.

"Most bird-themed, steel, B&M coasters in one park that go over 100 feet and are next to a lake and have inversions and lift hills."

! said:
#11.

"Most bird-themed, steel, B&M coasters in one park that go over 100 feet and are next to a lake and have inversions and lift hills."

Most coasters going over an entrance

(2)

Most consecutive coasters built that aren't decent woodies

(21)

Most coasters on a peninsula

(18)

Most orange B&Ms that have lifthills, inversions and have floorless trains

(2)

Most coasters themed to foreign mythology that have hard to pronounce names

(2)

#17: Most obscure records (17)

18. Most world records for a dive coaster.

19. Most enthusiasts making up meaningless records.

2018- Raptor

CP Top 5- 1)MF 2) Maverick 3) Gatekeeper 4) Top Thrill Dragster 5) Raptor

20: first roller coaster to have 20 world records

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over

21: First roller coaster ever to bring you up 223 feet, hang you over the edge of a copper track with blue supports, then drop you straight down going 75 MPH through a 3,415 foot long track, all while riding in a blue 24 passenger train with vest restraints and a logo that says "Valravn".

1999: First visit
Halloweekends- Harvest Fear, Tombstone Terror-Tory
Ride Operations- Professor Delbert’s Frontier Fling

22. First dive coaster to not cause demolition of Cedars.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

It looks like Tony has posted the first vertical construction photo as of about 3:45 PM on Monday, October 12. From what I can see (and I may be wrong), this looks to me to be one of the supports near the Turnpike Cars cloverleaf.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/653656936274112512/photo/1

Western Cruiser said:

It looks like Tony has posted the first vertical construction photo as of about 3:45 PM on Monday, October 12. From what I can see (and I may be wrong), this looks to me to be one of the supports near the Turnpike Cars cloverleaf.

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/653656936274112512/photo/1

Based on the live cam, It looks like right around where the transfer track will be. I could be wrong also.

I'm surprised they're adding supports already. I figured they would wait until all the footers were poured?

Many of the footers for Valravn are located on areas outside of the fenced area and on the midway. This means construction crews will probably have to wait until the end of the season to pour these footers. In the meantime, the vast scale of this ride will probably demand a tight schedule from construction crews and vertical construction will probably take place at a rapid pace with steel erection taking place as soon as footers are ready. Most B&M's start vertical construction with the final brake run and transfer areas so we should expect that from Valravn.

Should be fun to watch this massive lift hill rise from the ashes like... well a raven... regal raven apparently.

New for 2018... RMC Iron Horse!!!

^^ No, that's not how any of this works. That's not how construction works.

In construction, you generally have a lot of interdependent tasks. As soon as you are able to work on a particular part of a task, you should start it. If not, the project would take forever.

First comes site prep/grading - at least around the start of the build area. Once enough area is prepped for footers, those start going in. Then, once that area is OK'ed, footers will come in. And, once footers are in and OK'ed, track will go up. In this way, you have multiple trades working simultaneously.

If you waited for all of the site prep to be done to put in footers, footers to be poured to put up supports, supports up to put up track, etc., your project would take significantly longer. It's often a race to the finish as is; there's no reason to take any longer.

And, yep, the first build priorities are generally final brakes, transfer, station, and lift. Once those are in, the rest of the course goes up relatively quickly, particularly on rides that are lower to the ground (see also: Fury 325).

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service