Cedar Point Announces New Water Ride for 2010 Season

I know for sure that it does not look like this. (anymore)

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

[url][url]At least it does not look like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scream!_queue_view.jpg

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I always thought those stripes were part of the theme ;)

Visual Scan!
First Top Thrill Dragster train of 2011!
Rollbacks: 1st Triple Rollback of 2009!

crazy horse said:
...if you take away the rides that cp has DOUBLE of(balloon race, frog hopper, sub ride...ect..ect), then they have about as many as some other parks that have great theaming.

Just because they have two identical rides doesn't mean they don't have to maintain both.

I'm not getting into a CP vs SF debate. I'm merely pointing out that there are legitimate reasons CP has less theming than some other parks.

Brandon

Ensign Smith said:

I rode both Paddlewheel Excursions and the railroad yesterday. It seemed to me that, on both rides, at least 90% of the animatronics that I could remember were more or less functioning properly. Although on CP&LE, there no longer are flames in the 2nd story of the burning building. The skeleton fireman now shoots his waterhose over the fence, apparently in a vain attempt to cool off Mantis riders...

When I rode it in mid August the flames were on, but the fireman was still shooting over the fence.

-Chance M.
1. Magnum XL 200 (trimless)_____1. Voyage
2. Maverick_____________________2. Boulder Dash
3. Millennium Force_____________3. Prowler

Hasn't he always shot the water over the fence? I can't remember it spraying somewhere else.

Didn't he used to shoot at the building itself? My memory's a little fuzzy.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Yea, I thought he shot the water at the building, but not actually hitting the building.

I also noticed that the skeleton no longer slid out of the building eather.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

What is so hard to maintain about Maverick's theme? The rockwork should be there for as long as the ride is. The water bombs just need cleaned off every once in a while, and the lights in the tunnel last about a year. Change them when they burn out, and you wont have to worry about it. I never understood why the sound isnt on anymore. It shouldn't be hard to just turn it on, right?

Let's Get Weird.

djDaemon said:

crazy horse said:
...if you take away the rides that cp has DOUBLE of(balloon race, frog hopper, sub ride...ect..ect), then they have about as many as some other parks that have great theaming.

Just because they have two identical rides doesn't mean they don't have to maintain both.

I'm not getting into a CP vs SF debate. I'm merely pointing out that there are legitimate reasons CP has less theming than some other parks.

Sorry...I did not relize you worked for cedarpoints finance dept, and had knowlege of what it cost's them to run the park.

And you do?

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

No, I don't....and neither does he.

He never said he did work in finance department.

djDaemon said:

crazy horse said:
Six flags, busch and I will even say Disney(allthough You will probaly come back and say that they have the man power) all seem to do a good job keeping it up. How hard or time consuming can it be to change a light bulb, or replace an fog machine?

How many seasonal SF parks have ~70 rides? And Disney has far more cash to do far more stuff than CP could ever dream of.

Maintenance costs money. CP's attendance hasn't increased substantially since, what, 2000? Since then, they've added Wicked Twister, and ice skating show, Dragster, Maxair, Skyhawk, Maverick, Starlight and Shoot the Rapids (though they did remove WWL & DD). Basically, they have the task of doing more stuff with the same amount of money. If they have to let something fall by the wayside, choosing thematic stuff seems like a wise choice.

Nah, not really close at all. Great America has 16% fewer rides to maintain, while Great Adventure has 29% fewer. If CP could increase their attendance by 16% or 29%, then yeah, I'd fully expect them to be able to maintain every square inch of that park. But CP has pretty much reached their ceiling as far as attendance goes.

Not directly, but he acts like he does.

Last edited by crazy horse,

Let's not get off our rocker here about who's who or who works wherever.

By the way, wasn't this supposed to be a discussion about the new water ride for 2010 (Shoot the Rapids) [see topic title above]? :)

This has to be the one of longest running threads on here. It is one year old today.

I remember one of Mavericks thread being FAR longer.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

crazy horse said:

Not directly, but he acts like he does.

It doesn't take working in the finance department to know that it costs more money to operate more rides.

And since he's been able to back up his position with facts, I'm much more likely to fall on his side of the argument. Especially when the opposition just falls back into the "You're a meanie" defense.

Goodbye MrScott

John

I never said that it did not take more money to run more rides. I was saying that there were other parks out there, that had almost as many rides as cedarpoint, but still had plenty more theaming.

And what "facts" are you refering to?

Again, you would have to work in the finance dept to know the real numbers.

Like I said, I would gladly take quality over quantity. A good ride with good theaming beats a good ride without theaming.

It also makes average rides 10x better if there is theaming.Could you imagine adventure express at kings island without theaming?

I doubt that we will see much theaming of rides at cedarpoint untill kinzel is gone. I remember kinzel saying that he would rather spend the money on making a coaster longer, rather than theaming.

crazy horse said:
I was saying that there were other parks out there, that had almost as many rides as cedarpoint, but still had plenty more theaming.

And I pointed out that those parks have significantly fewer rides to maintain (and no, 16% or 29% fewer is not at all "almost as many"). Great America has 16% fewer, while Great Adventure has 29% fewer. That's a massive difference. If CP can only afford X number of maintenance personnel based on Y attendance, then it's not unreasonable to assume that if they had 16% or 29% fewer items to maintain, they'd need less attendance to balance the budget. Conversely, if CP could magically grow attendance by 16% or 29% (which, barring an unprecedented population explosion in SE Michigan, will never happen), they'd perhaps be able to create & maintain theme like those other parks do.

As I said, it's a trade off - you can have 70 rides with little or poorly-maintained theme, or you can have significantly fewer rides with better theming.

Again, you would have to work in the finance dept to know the real numbers.

Well, obviously. But I'm not purporting to know the actual numbers. I'm simply making reasonable assumptions based on what we do know.

Like I said, I would gladly take quality over quantity. A good ride with good theaming beats a good ride without theaming.

And to each their own. Part of me tends to agree, but at the same time I have an awfully great time at CP when I want to ride. I think it's great that we have variety. If you want an excellently-themed experience, go to Disney (or wherever); if you want a huge selection of World-class rides, go to Cedar Point (or wherever).

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service