Cedar Point 2013

99er said:
so that was posted on Screamscape and people ran with it.

Oh it was on Screamscape, case closed :)

TwistedWicker77 said:
I don't care what the name is, as long as it makes that signature B&M roar and is louder than Mantis, I'm okay with it :)

While I'm also a fan of the "B&M roar" (love standing beneath Raptor's loop), I'd actually like to see a B&M installed with sound dampening. And with this new coaster being the closest to a residential area, it would make a good candidate.

Brandon

I love the sound of B&M coasters! For some reason I love the way Mean Streak sounds too. It has a weird ringing noise.

Favorite coaster: Millennium Force
Favorite flat: maXair

Very true. And since it'll be flying right over the main gate, I would assume it would be most quiet so the employees in the admissions booths can hear the guest's requests. I have yet to ride (or even see) a wing rider coaster in person, so I don't know how loud they typically can get.

I hadn't considered the noise impact on the booths. Interesting point.

I would imagine the noise level for a wing coaster is pretty comparable to Raptor, for example. Though if the train design requires the use of substantially different wheel types, that may have an impact. I doubt the difference would be substantial, though.

Brandon

The roaring sound of Mantis is almost unbearable to me ESPECIALLY while standing in line with it roaring overhead. Almost headache inducing to me, but thats just me.

Last edited by clevelander,

We still don't know for sure though if it is going directly over the main gate though.

vwhoward said:
I guess I always hope is that when things do change, they change for the better. Its my opinion that if they start recycling names now, it wouldn't be a good change. I'm not saying it's impossible they'll start reusing names, just highly improbable. And just plain lazy.

I'm with you.

Long time lurker who used to be JUMBO JET.

99er, 2 similar rides on the opposite ends of the country, especially those that are so well known, I completely understand. But a B&M Giga and a B&M Wingrider aren't exactly similar rides. Not to mention the close proximity of them to each other. So yeah, I would say lazy. If I'm going to spend $25 million on a ride, I want that ride to stand out amongst other coasters. Giving it a name just used in a recent installation on a different style coaster is just phoning it in. Especially in a park less than 300 miles away. Now if it turns out to be a Leviathon clone, then I'd say go ahead and name it that but there'll be a whole new thread started here bashing that bout of laziness in no time.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I don't see a problem if they share the same theme. In fact, Id rather see two different types of coasters that have the same theme and name than a duplicate of another. Obviously overall Id like it if they each had their own theme and name but its not the end of the world if they share. Well, maybe the end of the coaster world to some I guess.

You are using Cedar Point and theming terminology loosely aren't you?

Favorite Wood: 1. Balder (Liseberg), 2. Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce), 3. Voyage (Holiday World), 4. Phoenix (Knoebels) 5. The Beast (Kings Island)

FavoriteSteel:1.Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park) 2. Rita (Alton Towers) 3.Magnum XL-200 (CP) 4. Nemisis (Alton Towers) 5. X (SFMM)

Has there been an installation of a B&M without the sand in supports in the last 5 years? None really come to my mind.

The sound deadening is important so that the Park remains a pleasant place to be. Hearing a loud roar constantly gets old quickly, and I actually wish they would retrofit Raptor with the sand.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

What does B&M do to their coasters to give them the distinctive roar?

Its the square shape of the track spine instead of a circular tube

More specifically, I believe it's because B&M track has more internal volume contained by the steel spine, as compared to Intamin track, for example. That internal volume serves to amplify the sound created via vibration.

I should note that I'm speaking directly out of my behind on this, so I could be totally wrong.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Thanks guys!

ACTUALLY, each train is equipped with its on speaker system and they play roaring sounds... Duh!!!

^ +1

Favorite coaster: Millennium Force
Favorite flat: maXair

It is possible to fly/go over an entrance to a park by the admission booths and not make noise, especially if the track is very high up in the air (150+ feet), you wouldn't hear the noise as much. Nobody ever said the coaster itself was going to be swooping right over the guests heads, its just been assumed that it would be flying overhead by the main gate(we don't know how high up). On another note (from the link below) maybe they'll call it "the Bruiser" from the black/blue logo or the way you'll end up looking from it when you are done riding it. Stupid joke, seriously I do like the Lotan name also as others have suggested.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii572/CPpixx/100_1554.jpg

Last edited by CPfan1976,

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service