Cedar Point 2013

Yesterdays thrills.....they need to go! Valuable real estate there.

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

Windseeker is the new space spiral people. It's located on the same midway, so the overall appearance of the skyline wont differ from the GP. Which is the 99% :p

I suspect that a nice new observation tower is in the works for the future. One with a much nicer cabin.

I know I'm in the minority here but I would also like to see Space Spiral relocated between Mean Streak and Gemini (there's room there). Probably won't happen though. Whether you care to admit it or not, SS is in fact an icon of the park and has been featured on almost all of the CP logos since the 1960's. Two observation towers on opposite sides of the park would be nice (for differing views) and Frontierland could use a new addition and draw some traffic to Mean Streak. It's footprint is small and can in fact be moved just like the Ferris Wheel was in 2000.
I know what one poster is saying that Windseeker is meant to be the new Space Spiral and in some ways you're right but not totally. I know lots of people/ families (including my own) that will go on Space Spiral but refuse to go on Windseeker (fear of being high up and not enlosed/heights?) so I'm usually stuck going on by myself. Having gone on SS last Sunday I can say it's in need of a major overhaul (scratched and dirty outside glass and hot interior cabin). This stuff can be fixed. It's also not down alot for maintenance when I've been there.
Think about this: we are losing 4 vintage rides in about 2 years (Wildcat, Paddlewheel Excursions, and now Disaster Transport and probably Space Spiral) and had them replaced with a dancing show, dinosaurs and a rumored coaster. Where you draw the line for new, exciting, bigger and better? You can tear Dragster and Millenium Force down for those also.....doesn't mean you should.

I don't think Space Spiral is a signature of Cedar Point at all. Cedar Point's signature is Millennium Force. The stylized depiction of the lift hill and first drop of MF is instantly recognizable as Cedar Point. Space Spiral is irrelevant in the year 2012.

Fast Lane $60
Preferred Parking $20
Dinosaurs $5
For most seeing a winged coaster next year....priceless

2012: The greatest year that the dollar took over Cedar Point.

CPfan1976 said:
It's footprint is small and can in fact be moved just like the Ferris Wheel was in 2000.

Except for that fact that the Giant Wheel has 4 shipping crates that act as a mobile foundation, and Space Spiral has something like a 200 foot deep concrete footer acting as it's foundation.

R.I.P. Mr. Scott

Vette said:
I don't think Space Spiral is a signature of Cedar Point at all. Cedar Point's signature is Millennium Force. The stylized depiction of the lift hill and first drop of MF is instantly recognizable as Cedar Point. Space Spiral is irrelevant in the year 2012.

Wow. I'm stunned. Do we love the same park or are you just a fan of Cedar Point's roller coasters?

Long time lurker who used to be JUMBO JET.

Most of the people on here from the older generation of Cedar Point where Space Spiral was the icon. I would say I'm from the newer generation and most of my friends have never been on Space Spiral, most have never even seen it open. I have never seen it running, I'm sure it'll be running daily from now until it closes though so maybe I'll get my first and last ride on it.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Restless Bohemian said:

Wow. I'm stunned. Do we love the same park or are you just a fan of Cedar Point's roller coasters?

I'm a younger generation fan. Of course I love coasters, but I also understand the importance of thrill rides and casual rides such as Space Spiral. But Space Spiral is a poor observation tower for these days - the cabin is terrible as is the up-time. I'm pretty sure CP will get another observation tower, and it will be 10x's better (and taller). In the mean time, bring on the Wing Rider. Rides sometimes need to be cycled out. Sometimes that's sad, but life is like that sometimes :(

Last edited by Vette,

Cedar Point is getting a new $15-25 million state of the art coaster, and yet all we can do is complain about the loss of a giant warehouse and an outdated tower ride (that could very well be replaced in the future for all we know)

rainingmaize said:
Cedar Point is getting a new $15-25 million state of the art coaster, and yet all we can do is complain about the loss of a giant warehouse and an outdated tower ride (that could very well be replaced in the future for all we know)

Once the ride gets announced, things should be much more positive...

True, not all of the GP know what's coming. They go on Facebook and see Disaster Transport and Space Spiral closing without any real reason.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Space Spiral I'll admit isn't a huge loss for me even though I hate to see it go. The bigger deal is that in the last year now, we've removed 4 rides that the entire family/non-trill seekers could ride. Add in White Water Landing and for all the talk of families, the ride selection for any decent family rides is dwindling fast.

The big trill rides are not for everyone and they need somethings in between, plus whole family rides. I go up with parents and siblings about once a year (ages teens to mid-20s) and have a couple siblings unwilling to go on anything bigger than Iron Dragon. The loss of Wildcat and Disaster Transport is going to be felt even though they weren't my favorite. Paddlewheel wasn't something we hit every time, but it was something everyone could ride and was especially good when we had little kids. White Water Landing was a fun small water ride that didn't get you very wet. Shoot the Rapids is sadly not really a replacement in that light.

I'm excited by this, I really am, but if this is going to be a move that I don't see as a net negative long term, they need to soon add some small coasters/dark rides/etc.

I just wanted to share my thoughts about Space Spiral. If everyone keeps talking about how much of an "icon" it is, then why doesn't it have more riders? If it was really an iconic part of Cedar Point, it would have a line on any given day. Rides these days aren't for looks and aren't built to sit there and be an icon, they are built to be ridden. WindSeeker is the updated icon on the skyline. Cedar Fair, at the end of the day, wants to make money. Why would they keep a ride that is old and costly to maintain when it just sits there and is frequently closed? I know a lot of people are upset because it was a family ride, but honestly if CF wants to compete with Six Flags, they have to keep up with catering to the thrill seekers. Let's face it, "America's Roller Coast" isn't trying to market families as much as thrill seekers. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but these are just my thoughts I wanted to put out there. I feel like this was a good move on Ouimet's part and I can't wait to see what else he has in store for the Point.

As for DT, I'm going to be sad to see it go. I was bothered by the fact that the removal of Wildcat brought the coaster count down to 16, and I would be happier if they could keep DT and build the new coaster. But if losing DT and SS means an awesome new attraction for 2013, then count me in.

From the official July 13th Cedar Point Blog...

http://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/-7-13-12-57

It appears Becca has finally realized the prices charged for food in the park!

In her own words... "@!!$!(*%%"

This may sound corny or impossible, but it'd be neat if somehow the Space Spiral could switch hands between Cedar Point and the city of Sandusky (or one of its businesses) and end up somewhere on the waterfront. Open it up on weekends from April thru October and charge people a couple bucks to ride it. I think it could be a lift for Sandusky or whatever business operates it on the waterfront.

I was there yesterday. I talked to a few employees and they could be right or wrong. I heard that a person said the "Space Spiral" will be moved to "Canada's Wonderland" I do not think that will ever happen. I think they should keep it, and remove it to another place in the Park like everyone is saying. I wish they would take the Dinosaurs out, and put the Boat Ride back in for older and younger people that don't like the Thrill Rides & Coasters. I will ride the MF, and I can see the Dinosaurs.

I am very excited about the new ride coming in, although i've always had a soft spot for Disaster Transport since Avalanche Run was my first ride, I do think it is time for it to go, and the same with Space Spiral. I do however feel it would be cool if they did move the ride to Michigan's Adventure or something like that like others have said. It would fit well there I think, although I would even prefer something newer there. My guess is with loss of Wild Cat and Disaster Transport, I think within a few years a new smaller coaster will come or a dark ride. So I'm excited for whatever happens.

Last edited by DSRPUNK,

New Facebook update, with a very Raptor-ish pair of eyes and

Watch out for inversions and (!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ You didn't think we would give away 2013 THAT easy did you?

Yeah... the Banshee cipher doesn't work on this one, because all I got was "IAEABBACEIBAA".

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service