Cedar Point 2013

I'm curious to know just how high maintenance costs could be for DT/AV. And, would the costs be higher if out wasn't enclosed and so near the blowing beach sand.

I would imagine operating costs are dictated primarily by the age of the attraction as well as how many there are in existence. The newer and/or more common a ride is, the less expensive to maintain.

Brandon

I believe that some newer attractions that have popped up across the country gotta have some high maintenance costs also.

Very true. I should have probably included "ride complexity" as a factor.

Brandon

Unless components are aging and need replacement, I can't imagine that DT is more costly to maintain than other steel coasters. Conventional chain lift, air brakes and electric advancing wheels are pretty common, nothing exotic here.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

That's what I was thinking Pete.

MS has to be alot more to maintain yearly than everything else I'n the park. Yet, that monstrosity is still there.

There's more to the equation than just the cost, thought, right? Age and ridership factor in as well.

Brandon

I completely understand that point.

There's more to the equation than just the cost, thought, right? Age and ridership factor in as well.

Ugliness...

Tackiness...

Beach-view-obstructivity...

Just to name a few.

Promoter of fog.

I'm not even saying that they should keep DT. If I ever even thought that I would volunteer myself to be taken behind a woodpile and flogged.

The good news is that in a couple months, we'll never have to talk about it again. :)

Promoter of fog.

Thank god.

Hey now, the ride isn't so bad. I actually will kind of miss DT. I think this new wingride though will be a great addition even if it means DT has to go.

DT will get the rose-colored glasses treatment in its wake. See, e.g., every discussion of White Water Landing, 2008-present.

The path you tread is narrow, and the drop is sheer and very high.

Exactly, though I'd say the rose-colored talk regarding WWL began way back in late 2005.

Brandon

Fond memories of DT 1994(year I 1st rode it) to about 1999-ish.

Not so fond memories of un-maintained DT 2000 to present.

That's how I will discuss the ride

My fondest memory of AR/DT was driving up the causeway in '85 thinking it looked so cool and couldn't wait to ride it. After waiting 3 hours to ride it my dad and I got off and both said that sucked simultaneously. Thats how I'll remember it.

My memories of it will be the thunderous noise it made as I played on the beach as a child. I always thought it was gonna rain but never did.
"Oh, that's just Avalanche Run...don't worry about it."

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

Let the record reflect that I've always appreciated and spoken up for DT. And I will miss the ride, though I suspect I'll enjoy what's to come in its place at least as much, if not more.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

There wasn't anything worth reading in the last three pages, but I will say that the iron eagle sculpture at Dollywood cost about $250,000 by itself. See here.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service