Cedar Point 2013

The point is that the year-to-year changes are not as important as the gradual changes. It's not remotely reasonable to assume that Ouimet's intent to focus on family attractions will come to fruition within even 5 years. You have to think longer term.

What? That is the kind of thinking that builds failure, not success.

Disney's Magic Kingdom took only four years from groundbreaking to grand opening, with an immense system of underground passageways and 23 atttractions online at opening, including the Railroad, Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Haunted Mansion, Hall of Presidents, Snow Whites Adventures, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Cinderella's Golden Carrousel, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Mad Tea Party, It's a Small World, and the Skyway. Then, by the end of the opening month, they had added Peter Pan's Flight and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

It is not asking too much to see real, positive change at Cedar Point at an accelerated rate, especially if it is focused on bringing more family entertainment to a park that has pulled away hard from serving that demographic through both attrition of inclusive attractions and an almost complete lack of new 'all ages' construction.

In addition, it is not about buying some 'off the shelf' ride or attraction, but creating something truly new. When was the last time that Cedar Point planned a new attraction from top to bottom by itself, and put it in? I would guess the upside-down Funhouse in 1966. I'm sure a 'wing' coaster will be great, but other than Cedar Point saying "we want it over there" and writing a check, what input do they have?

^ That is a good point but when Magic Kingdom was built, there wasn't the risk of upsetting people because they needed to remove rides. There were no rides to begin with. If you were to try and accelerate the family aspect of the park and it required major changes to be involved, you can't just do that in one off-season or it will upset even more people.

You think 1967 is when pen first went to paper?

They were designing that park from before they started buying land for it. Walt was figuring out how to do it better from the day Disneyland opened in 1955.

So while actual construction only took 4 years, the actual design process from idea to opening took closer to 15.

Goodbye MrScott

John

Rugrats2001 said:
Disney's Magic Kingdom took only four years from groundbreaking to grand opening...

Do you have any idea how much that project cost?

Again, the point is that Ouimet, who has indicated his intent to focus on family attractions, has been on the job for less than 6 months. In an industry that measures project lead times in years, it's simply not reasonable to expect change to happen so quickly.

...it is not about buying some 'off the shelf' ride or attraction, but creating something truly new.

Which is it? Do you want the park/chain to make rapid changes or do you want them to spend the time to create unique experiences?

Brandon

Rugrats2001 said:

The point is that the year-to-year changes are not as important as the gradual changes. It's not remotely reasonable to assume that Ouimet's intent to focus on family attractions will come to fruition within even 5 years. You have to think longer term.

It is not asking too much to see real, positive change at Cedar Point at an accelerated rate, especially if it is focused on bringing more family entertainment to a park that has pulled away hard from serving that demographic through both attrition of inclusive attractions and an almost complete lack of new 'all ages' construction.

Yet if you look at Cedar Point in 2002 compared to 2012, there is no question it's a better park. People complained after every ride that was taken out, but I've found most to be mediocre (no nostalgia here, 2005 was first year in the park). In that same time they added the two best roller coasters in the park, the two best flat rides, a new kiddie area, pretty lights all over the park, among other things. I'm fairly confident they will add a few more family attractions in the coming years.

djDaemon said:

Rugrats2001 said:
Disney's Magic Kingdom took only four years from groundbreaking to grand opening...

Do you have any idea how much that project cost?

Again, the point is that Ouimet, who has indicated his intent to focus on family attractions, has been on the job for less than 6 months. In an industry that measures project lead times in years, it's simply not reasonable to expect change to happen so quickly.

...it is not about buying some 'off the shelf' ride or attraction, but creating something truly new.

Which is it? Do you want the park/chain to make rapid changes or do you want them to spend the time to create unique experiences?

Bring in truly gifted creative & engineering staff, and you can have it both ways - without gutting the heart of what makes Cedar Point, well, Cedar Point. Extended lead times are the OLD way - It's time for park management to realize that good idea's deserve to be put on the front burner, not tacked onto the end of a five-year plan.

I'm not looking for a new park, or Disney World North. I am looking for a transformation driven by a few major projects and attention given to those places it is sorely needed.

Case in point, there is a Log Cabin with the woodworker's shop in it, with a rotten wooden step. It was reported to maintenance, and it is on a list to be repaired. All it will take is one customer to fall through the bad spot, and there is a lawsuit in the making. Hire another carpenter! A lot cheaper than a legal payout.

Rugrats2001 said:
Bring in truly gifted creative & engineering staff, and you can have it both ways - without gutting the heart of what makes Cedar Point, well, Cedar Point. Extended lead times are the OLD way - It's time for park management to realize that good idea's deserve to be put on the front burner, not tacked onto the end of a five-year plan.

This all sounds nice in a crappy seminar kind of way, but it's totally devoid of substance.

Brandon

I'm VERY disappointed with Matt Ouimet so far. Can anyone confirm the pronunciation? Is it weemit?

Anyways the new Millennium Forced lights weren't what I expected. They should of been rainbow like the old lights. Now they're blue and sometimes cycle through the colors but mostly stay on blue. Giant wheel's lights were fantastic though. MF could learn a lesson from GW.

Next for Dragster H2O. I don't know if any of you have ever ridden on a mat racer slide. If you haven't ridden one before, then I can tell you that they're VERY BORING!!! This isn't why I'm mad though. I'm mad because they took out the SPEED SLIDES!!! The best slides in the whole waterpark.

They also took out Wildcat which was one of the best coasters because you weren't forced to socialize with other people in the train because the trains only fit 1 small family. It also provided the park with a funfair atmosphere which is nice because without it, the park seems a lot more like Disney World which is a big negative.

With Luminosity, as long as they play music I've never heard/rarely hear I won't mind it. It drives me crazy to hear songs that I am forced to hear for the 100th time. I like to see and hear NEW things, and as long as it isn't completely mainstream like crap like Adele and LMFAO, I will be satisfied.

On the topic of Disaster Transport and Space Spiral. I agree that Disaster Transport sucks, but why can't they just take out DT and then put the wing rider in DT's building and then keep SS and build a GCI Woodie that loops around the space spiral and then it can go over the park entrance. Two birds and only one ston.

Next is Dinosaurs Alive. It costs MONEY!!! And they took out Panda Express for it!! Ridiculous if you ask me. I'd support it if it was free, but Panda Express was one of the few remaining sit down entertainment attractions in the park. Cedar Point just hates water rides. First White Water Landing, then Swans, and now Panda Express.

Fastpass: Ugh I HATE Fastpass. I'm sure I don't need to explain myself.

Now for what I liked about this year:

Iron Dragster's chain lift was faster.

BRING BACK THE CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!
I WILL NOT REST UNTIL CHAOS IS BRAUGHT BACK

The park is pretty much void of any true family rides. Most everyone in my family doesn't go anymore. Theres isn't anything that the entire family can do together, most coasters are 48" and up and there isn't anything in between. Its big coasters that most are afraid to ride or small county fair kiddie rides.

They look at it like "we're not paying $40+ to ride a few small festival rides and nothing else". They like Iron Dragon and DT, those are something my small cousins can ride but the adults can ride too and no feel so stupid trying to squeeze into jr gemini.

I'm with you BringBackTehChaos.

Panda Express is my favorite attraction at the park... and I, too, am happy that the Iron Dragster chain lift is faster!

BringBackTehChaos said:
Next is Dinosaurs Alive. It costs MONEY!!! And they took out Panda Express for it!!

The people in Starbucks just looked at me weird for how loud I just laughed. Seriously, you are killing me over here.

^^^^ I feel like there's a troll under the bridge...

Last edited by Willijs3,

They call me Sheehan.
coasterandtreeloversbuzz.com

BringBackTehChaos said:

Iron Dragster's chain lift was faster.

Please troll harder.

Renegade said:

Rugrats2001 said:

Yet if you look at Cedar Point in 2002 compared to 2012, there is no question it's a better park. People complained after every ride that was taken out, but I've found most to be mediocre (no nostalgia here, 2005 was first year in the park). In that same time they added the two best roller coasters in the park, the two best flat rides, a new kiddie area, pretty lights all over the park, among other things. I'm fairly confident they will add a few more family attractions in the coming years.

Well, unless you are looking to cater only to newcomers, nostalgia must be respected as a powerful force. I agree that there have been many positive changes in the last 10 years, but not without sacrifices that were sometimes difficult to swallow. If I had to choose Cedar Point 2012 or Cedar Point 2002, I would pick 2012 in a heartbeat.

djDaemon said:

Rugrats2001 said:

This all sounds nice in a crappy seminar kind of way, but it's totally devoid of substance.

Sure, you want the meat of the ideas? Hire me. Only the sizzle is free...

BringBackTehChaos said:

Next is Dinosaurs Alive. It costs MONEY!!! And they took out Panda Express for it!!

What the hell are you talking about? Panda Express is in the FT. And IMO, Dinos Alive was well worth my $5.

SSL488 said:

BringBackTehChaos said:

What the hell are you talking about? Panda Express is in the FT. And IMO, Dinos Alive was well worth my $5.

LOL!! SORRY!! I meant Paddlewheel Express. I guess Panda Express just made a really great impression on me when I had hot dogs there.

BRING BACK THE CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!
I WILL NOT REST UNTIL CHAOS IS BRAUGHT BACK

I'm not sure if I would trust hot dogs from Panda Express.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

BringBackTehChaos said:
I meant Paddlewheel Express.

Try again.

lol 99er your loveing this :P

Halloweekends Screamster!
Fear Faire 2010-2011

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service