Cedar Point 2013

Random statement, question. On the entrance towers' renderings are (2) two poles sticking up. Any idea what they may be for?

-Lightning Rods? -Flag Poles? or a place to hang a huge GateKeeper Banner? or maybe they won't even be there when the project is done.

They're Giant seagull zappers. Gotta keep the population contained ya know. ;)

Also, DJ, I don't think that's the case.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Titandwedebil/Compairson.png

The red arrows show the distance between the gate and the grass in front of the carousel. The blue lines, correspondingly, show what's being "sliced" to create a nice straight line along the entrnace way. The yellow arrows show the distance between the gate and the tree line, this is where the issue comes into play. I don't think they're moving those trees forward, I think it's a matter of them cutting and pasting that because they dont know what to do with the extra space yet.

^When I look at those images, I think the existing buildings flanking the current entrance will be unaffected. GK will cut right in front of them. Possibly cut over the corner of the building to the right a bit. The only building really affected is the pavilion in the botton left hand corner of both images will be made smaller to make room for the turnaround.

That actually allows the current turnstiles to be unaffected as well, but it sounds like they will be removed anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if that was influence of new CEO - we're redoing the first line of booths at the entrance - why don't we remove the turnstiles as well and introduce an improved entry system.

Last edited by decil76,

1.Raptor 2.Maverick 3.SV 3.MF 4.Rougarou 5.GK 6.Valravn 7.BS 8.WT 9.Gemini 10.CCMR 11.Magnum 12.TTD 13.CS 15.WE 16.ID

If you look at the rendering, you see about a 10'+/- section that has no pavers. That appears to be where the ticket booths are currently located.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

@decil - According to the rendering, however, that's impossible.

Both picnic buildings will be affected, they'll both be sliced back instead of the gate moving forward. Use the red arrows as the best reference, as I'm sure they won't be moving the carousel in any way.

Something else, look at the picnic building to the right, next to the supports of GK. Look at where the "spike" to the building is (that triangular extension that symbolizes the bathroom). Notice how much shorter the distance is between the triangular shape and the edge of the pavilion on the GK image? You can't even see it on the real life satellite.

There is an illusion that makes it seem like the gate is being pushed back, but that's not the case. Everything around the gate is changing, primarily the length of the picnic buildings as highlighted in blue on the image I linked.

The grassy area in front LOOKS like its the same one we see in the satellite image, but it's actually not.

EDIT: If you need any more proof, look at the same image Link but with purple lines included showing where the edge of the upper picnic building aligns with the lower one. You can see it overlapping in the satellite image, but not in the rendering.

Last edited by Titandwedebil,

DejaVu2001 said:
^^ Nothing official yet, but 99.9% of B&Ms have a 54 inch minimum. Dollywood somehow managed to get 50 inches for Wild Eagle, but I'd plan on 54.

And on the other end of the spectrum, all of the B&M Wing Coasters currently operating have a maximum height restriction of 78 inches (6 feet, 6 inches).

Just to add to that, the only other B&M (other than Wild Eagle) that I'm aware of that is not at a 54" height requirement is Apollo's Chariot (52"). The fact that they haven't announced an official one yet is a good sign IMO that they're working to see if it can be something other than 54".

Last edited by gad198,

(In reponse to my last post) This brings me back to my original point about something being wrong about the image.

In order to see it fully, first read my last post (ignoring the yellow arrow and the trees in the images), and once you see it THEN take a look at the trees and the yellow arrow.

What we're seeing is a "lack" of land. They literally cut out a part of what's going to go in between the main gate and the beginning of the tree line and just squished the land back together, as represented by the yellow arrow. This is the case UNLESS they plan on moving all of those trees forward, which I doubt.

I think the image is correct. Using the existing buildings on either side of the turnstile (both buildings, identifiable by their blue awnings, are still visible in the renderings) as a point of reference, it appears that the new front gate structure will sit in front of the current turnstile structure.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

*face palm*

You're not looking at it deep enough.

What it looks like at first glance at is is that the new gate moves up, and it looks that simple. But it's not, I've outlined that with the arrows.

Here's another image, now with the the problematic area that causes everyone to assume that the gate is moving removed.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Titandwedebil/4.png

You can literally see a size difference in the picnic pavilions, just look close enough.

The biggest and most conclusive evidence to this is that the distance between the carousel grass area is the SAME in both images. That means the gate does not move, it's that simple.

Face palm indeed.... I agree with Tim. Currently the gate sits on the inside side of the two flanking buildings, while in the new rendering the gate sits outside the park of the two flanking buildings....and hence less chopping of the two picnic pavilions.

I'm guessing that if you look deeper you will see it too.

Last edited by jo linn,

I was basing my assumption on the two existing buildings on either side of the current turnstiles (security on one side, guest services on the other) still being in the rendering. The front gate turnstiles appear to move from the park side of these buildings to the parking lot side. This would require the alteration of the picnic shelters, so no argument there. The turnstiles aren't moving much, just to the opposite side of the existing front gate buildings.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

You guys are looking too much into the renderings. I'm sure there will be much more to it. The whole point of the video is for the coaster, not the entrance.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

After using Bing instead (which is less aerial), I see what's going on much better. You're definitely right about the gate moving up, I admit being wrong there.

I honestly never used the service buildings as references either, my bad.

I think this image is pretty accurate to the changes:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m112/Titandwedebil/hgffgp.png

You guys are looking too much into the renderings. I'm sure there will be much more to it. The whole point of the video is for the coaster, not the entrance.

You're right, we'll see it when we see it.

The only difference I see is that in the rendering the picnic shelter on the right seemed to be shortened from the front.

I am loving how the turn arounds of Blue Streak and Gatekeeper will come so close to each other. If you look at the Blue Streak POV it looks like it is going to catch a great view of Gatekeeper.
See 1:54 in this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiYadOO2h4

Are you guys SRSLY debating distance on a computer-generated rendering?

People. People. People. Renderings are renderings. Based off of actual photographs, converted to pixels. I can assure you, nobody's out there measuring distance to give to the animator.

My point is, it's purely conceptual.

TaER iT DoWN!11* TaEr iT aLL DoWn!

So i have been scouring the animated videos for cool still shots. I dont have an easy way to share a cropped screen shot so I'll throw this out there and let one of you folks with a good picture sharing account dig it up.

Pause the On ride POV you tube high res video at 0:37 such that the horizon is perpendicular to the frame... snap screen shot, and rotate the image so that the horizon appears horizontal... and boom, you have a fabulous shot of the interaction of Gatekeeper and Blue streak, as well as a nice view of Sandusky in the distance.
Notice that the picnic pavilion seems to be truncated in such a way as the view is completely open.

I LIKE.

I posted mine on the CP Facebook page...

I will take this opportunity as well to state my thrill in the fact that this winged coaster is an out and back of sorts as apposed to a twisted pile where DT once stood. I think the racing across distance adds a lot to a good ride instead of always turning in on itself.

Last edited by jo linn,

I'd just like to see a Times Square-ish rendition of the logo placed on the new gate. Not just a normal backlit sign, but something done classically with visible bulbs (LED, probably), faux neon (also probably LED), something done up like a classic amusement park. It's not like they can't weatherproof it during the off-season like they do with the other exposed lights like that.

Honestly, for as much as we talk about CP not really having a theme, they really ought to play up the bright lights everywhere classic amusement park look. I'm hoping they continue to add lights up the midway too.

I think an led sign in the shape of the cedar point logo, where the designs, colors, etc inside the logo can be changed to promote new rides, halloweekends, etc..

Pause the On ride POV you tube high res video at 0:37 such that the horizon is perpendicular to the frame... snap screen shot, and rotate the image so that the horizon appears horizontal... and boom, you have a fabulous shot of the interaction of Gatekeeper and Blue streak, as well as a nice view of Sandusky in the distance.

Nice!

I'd just like to see a Times Square-ish rendition of the logo placed on the new gate. Not just a normal backlit sign, but something done classically with visible bulbs (LED, probably), faux neon (also probably LED), something done up like a classic amusement park. It's not like they can't weatherproof it during the off-season like they do with the other exposed lights like that.

Honestly, for as much as we talk about CP not really having a theme, they really ought to play up the bright lights everywhere classic amusement park look. I'm hoping they continue to add lights up the midway too.

I think that would be great. Something like this: http://parkthoughts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/40365_4229884093...6602_n.jpg but smaller of course.

The real story is that the ticketing stuff, both on-site sales and group sales pickup, will not be in a line blocking the gate. In an age where people are buying a lot of tickets online and at retail, fewer people buy at the park, yet think they need to go through those booths. The new ones will be in a line off to the side.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service