Cedar Point 2013

Ride looks and sounds like a winner. One benefit of the white support beams is that it will help hide the substantial amounts of seagull poop that will hit them. The track itself, not so much. But those blue colors are nice.

As many have commented, the edit of the "main" video -- and I say that 'cause it's the first one they showed at the event and the first one you see on the site -- is a head-scratcher. The quick-reverse makes little sense. Guess they wanted to try something a little different and still have three videos to play.

The live feed on PB was a little jerky, but all credit to Walt for trying it and setting it up in the first place. I don't know if there ever has been a live announcement of a major attraction (anywhere) with *two* separate live feeds to choose from. Nice.

Any word from the post-conference as to what will happen to Troika? Is it moving? There's a three-point challenge just across the midway that could be used if space is needed ;-)

Giant Wheel alum from a loooong time ago.

Any word on the height requirement for this ride yet?

I have a feeling it will be 52". But I have a FEAR that, knowing CP, it will be 54". My 7 year old will be quite sad if that's the case... he's closing in on 50", and could potentially ride this next fall, if I feed him enough hormone laden chicken.

Does that even count?

Lowkae said:
Does that even count?

I guess it does. The Swarm is on that list and that is a wing coaster as well.

Coaster Bucket List: 1) Fury 325 2) Leviathan 3) Intimidator 305 4) Kingda Ka 5) Formula Rosa

MaverickLaunch said:
Any word on the height requirement for this ride yet?

I have a feeling it will be 52". But I have a FEAR that, knowing CP, it will be 54". My 7 year old will be quite sad if that's the case... he's closing in on 50", and could potentially ride this next fall, if I feed him enough hormone laden chicken.

I have a feeling it will be 54", that's what it is on X-flight

Travis Lea said:
Was the announcement stream captured? If so, will it get posted here? I tried watching it. My 3G connection must have been corrupt. It locked up several times. Please post if you have it.

The same thing happened to me, but I just found this. The video is on the bottom and it starts at 6:34:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/news/cedar-point/cedar-poi...gatekeeper

Last edited by CPCAVS,

Captaincrayola08 said:
But, what about all those posts that have emphasized over the years that CP needs to focus on the family and add family attractions going forward? Isn't this new coaster and entrance kind of a slap in the face that, "Hey, we're the best coaster thrill park around!?"

Yeah, kinda screams: "This is a thrill park for teenagers and coaster fanatics. Everyone else, you've been warned!" If that's the 'statement' they want to make, then whatever but it does disappoint me that they're continuing to market themselves to such a small demo.

Ffej said:
I'd say they have spent the better part of 5 years working on the family aspect, and have done a great job doing so,

Umm...old Geauga Lake kiddie rides, Shoot the Rapids, Windseeker, removing WildCat and Disaster Transport???

Ffej said:
but people don't travel 1/2 way across the country for a family park,

Umm...Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, etc. People travel across continents for those "family" parks.

jo linn said:
Steve, does your spilled milk magically rise from the floor and back into your glass as well?

Probably not worth fighting with geniuses but does dragster start from a hill? I dont study every ride in the country so how would I know what is and is not possible. I obviously misunderstood the animation and if that makes me an idiot in your world somehow I will have to find a way to go on with my life

Skippy, I never said either of those quotes. You paired the wrong poster with the wrong quote. I said the first one, and you have the wrong guy there too. Just flip em.

Last edited by Ffej,

K. I'm outta here. Excited for GateKeeper. Bye!

Disappointed,

I am disappointed in this ride layout, the ending after the break run is ho hum, there is just 1 element there. The ride ending looks lame and boring. Cedar Point missed the boat with this one, the strategic location of this ride, the ride should have jetted out over into Lake Erie at some point. They might have had to throw another 5 million into it, but who cares, it would have made a great statement and gave the ride a longer layout.

All the needed to do is dig out some of the sand on the beach, put in a few footers, some concrete, make it look as though it is Lake Erie, but really just a concrete pool with Lake Erie water and bam! They could have twisted the track layout where it would go over the water and the people in that part of the train would seem like they were going into Lake Erie itself.

They really could have made a statement with that, as for the flyover the entrance gate, all I can say is that I feel sorry for the employees who will be working the front gate, hopefully they will give them ear plugs because the noise will be terrible for them to listen to day in and day out.

In 2-3 years the paint on the ride will start to look shabby like they all do once the paint fades and the trains wheels wheres the paint off. It will make the park look cheap when you go in.

^You don't know what noise it will make yet. It might not bother the employees at all.

As for the ending after the brake. That brake is there to ensure 3 train operation because it takes longer to load and unload these types of coasters. Unless people would rather have two trains. And you're disappointed in a ride that you haven't ridden yet?

Last edited by CoasterKid20,

^^^I'm sorry you are disappointed, but you're one less person in line in my way to the ride ;)

Last edited by Sause,

Skippy said:

Captaincrayola08 said:
But, what about all those posts that have emphasized over the years that CP needs to focus on the family and add family attractions going forward? Isn't this new coaster and entrance kind of a slap in the face that, "Hey, we're the best coaster thrill park around!?"

Yeah, kinda screams: "This is a thrill park for teenagers and coaster fanatics. Everyone else, you've been warned!" If that's the 'statement' they want to make, then whatever but it does disappoint me that they're continuing to market themselves to such a small demo.

Ffej said:
I'd say they have spent the better part of 5 years working on the family aspect, and have done a great job doing so,

Umm...old Geauga Lake kiddie rides, Shoot the Rapids, Windseeker, removing WildCat and Disaster Transport???

Ffej said:
but people don't travel 1/2 way across the country for a family park,

Umm...Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, etc. People travel across continents for those "family" parks.

The GP doesn't know or care that Planet Snoopy was recycled, STR was a decent addition to the park, and as much as I dislike the fact that they got rid of Paddlewheel for Dino island, it's a family attraction. And when I made the "people don't travel for family parks" comment, yes Disney and Universal are exceptions, but they also have a brand associated with them, take the brand away, nobody goes. Nobody travels halfway across the country to go to Kennywood was my point.

^^^^OK, first off, as already mentioned I'm getting sick of people coming on here to complain about GateKeeper. For crying out loud, when it opens there will be a 6 year gap between it and the last coaster! People complain about that...and now when we finally get a new one, there are still people who complain. Would you rather go at least another half a decade without a major thrill? Just be happy we got something. Sorry if this recordbreaking, innovative, visually pleasing monster of a coaster doesn't excite you, since if it doesn't I don't think anything else will. We get a long awaited thrill and all you can do is complain about it? Anyway sorry for the rant but just had to share my feelings. Now back to my own opinions of it: 1) I can't wait to ride it. 2) I can't wait to ride it. and 3) I can't wait to ride it! And I'm not complaining (since I don't like complainers) but there are two things that I would change. First I would add another inversion and maybe another element before the final brake run. Like I said before, I'm not complaining since I love GateKeeper, just a suggestion. Also, I know it is just an animation so they still could do this, but I think a giant "Cedar Point" sign (the same font and color used on everything else) should be placed on top of the ticket booth/entrance gate, beneath the keyholes. For me that would complete the frontgate statement perfectly. Overall I'm really excited by this new ride and if you can't already tell, I can't wait to ride it! :)

Last edited by Ride On_17,

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Just Coasting said:
Disappointed,

I am disappointed in this ride layout, the ending after the break run is ho hum, there is just 1 element there. The ride ending looks lame and boring. Cedar Point missed the boat with this one, the strategic location of this ride, the ride should have jetted out over into Lake Erie at some point. They might have had to throw another 5 million into it, but who cares, it would have made a great statement and gave the ride a longer layout.

All the needed to do is dig out some of the sand on the beach, put in a few footers, some concrete, make it look as though it is Lake Erie, but really just a concrete pool with Lake Erie water and bam! They could have twisted the track layout where it would go over the water and the people in that part of the train would seem like they were going into Lake Erie itself.

They really could have made a statement with that, as for the flyover the entrance gate, all I can say is that I feel sorry for the employees who will be working the front gate, hopefully they will give them ear plugs because the noise will be terrible for them to listen to day in and day out.

In 2-3 years the paint on the ride will start to look shabby like they all do once the paint fades and the trains wheels wheres the paint off. It will make the park look cheap when you go in.

Im sorry Cedar Point didn't use your idea. I'm guessing you've spent years planning/developing your own coaster, with an amusement park jumping to buy. You obvioulsy know what your talking about, you've owned and operated a multi million dollar amusement park resort for over 140 years, and bring in 3.14 million guests a year. And Im sure you've started your own amusement park company that owns and operates 19 properties across North America, and generates over a billion dollars a year in revenue. Yep, Cedar Point/Fair wasted 30 million dollars, because they didn't listen to a 1 special coaster enthusiast. What a shame ;)

*sarcasm*

Last edited by Cedar King,

Captaincrayola08 said:

Skippy said:Yeah, kinda screams: "This is a thrill park for teenagers and coaster fanatics. Everyone else, you've been warned!" If that's the 'statement' they want to make, then whatever but it does disappoint me that they're continuing to market themselves to such a small demo.

And yet, what is the 1st thing you see when you enter the park?

Hey, we're the best coaster thrill park around

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

I love how all these people are complaining. Like Sause said. Your just one less person I have to wait behind in the line. :)

Coaster Bucket List: 1) Fury 325 2) Leviathan 3) Intimidator 305 4) Kingda Ka 5) Formula Rosa

Long time lurker but I have to post because this ride just looks amazing. I have never ridden one of these coasters but the design just looks like such a unique thrill.

My big concern is as a taller person (6'5) I hope it doesn't get so low to the ground or keyhole that there is a height restriction, anyone who has ridden other wing riders do you recall any such restrictions.

I feel this gives Cedar Point that perfect photo. Everyone will be stopping to get a picture in front of the gate with the coaster overhead.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service