Cedar Point 2013

Jeff said:
The park has been open one week in 2012 and the same half-dozen people keep reinforcing and perpetuating their fantasies about what might come next year.

You say it as if it's a bad thing.

The "tits" comment a hint? :hmm:

Renegade said:

The "tits" comment a hint? :hmm:

Hooters on Point!!!!!

We already have power tower so I dont really see a reason to convert space spiral into any sort of drop ride.

Forget drop towers, we need one of those falling towers. I'm sure they could do that with space spiral, right? :p

But in all seriousness, I honestly can't see them keeping it. I'm not hopeful at all for the preservation of this ride, especially now that the ideas of future development seems to funnel into the DT/Parking lot area. Moving and refurbishing happens, but in this case for a ride so old and overlooked, there's no way. I mean, just look at wildcat, an ideal family ride, that COULD have been moved somewhere easily, but wasn't. They took out a coaster in the blink of an eye, they'll do the same for an old ride that doesn't get half the attention that Wildcat did. It's all a question of whether or not it gets in the way, and being so close to DT...well, the chances are high.

Not trying to claim my thoughts as facts, but c'mon people, the odds just aren't there.

Last edited by Titandwedebil,

djDaemon said:
First the absurd footer thing, and now it seems reasonable that they'd invest a lot of money into a ride that's nearly 30 years old (and presumably near the end of its serviceable life)?

If you're trolling, you're not being very subtle about it. ;)

Well I kind of meant it to be taken in a hypothetical way. I doubt the plans that are in place (whatever they are) suggest keeping the ride and I wouldn't disagree that it's nearing the end of its life. And let me go on record that I didn't intend what I saw to be a for sure thing.....just telling what I saw.I mean is it really that absurd? Unlikely yea, but absurd?

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

After 6200 posts I'm sure you aren't trolling ^

That's why my interest was peaked, even though it would be weird to build a footer before the existing ride is torn down!

Either way I'm seeing lots of changes to that area in the next few years

Just in case everyone had not heard yet, the green B&M wingrider track is not going to Cedar Point. It has been shipped to Ocean Kingdom in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China.

R.I.P. Mr. Scott

I still don't know why people are so certain that Space Spiral is uncouth and ancient history.

Here's some food for thought from looking at Bing. The employee lot between the front gate and the beach also seems to be a point of consideration. What about extending the Oceana midway further down past where it ends at the Cheese on a Stick stall? You could in a way keep Disaster Transport and Space Spiral in some shape or form and have the new coaster to the south of them, though that obviously depends on the footprint size of the new thing.

Yeah, you'd have to do some serious behind the scenes work with the game area and the various points of access there, but if you're practically adding an entire new stretch of midway, reworking the backstage infrastructure and logistics would come along with it.

I was at Six Flags Great America yesterday and rode X-Flight twice. It was a very fun ride but more interaction with buildings, rides, or terrain (such as Wild Eagle) would make for a better ride. The keyhole and going through the 'hangar door' on X-Flight were some of the highlights, but I just think there is a lot more that could be done with that style of coaster to enhance the experience.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

TTD 120mph said:
I mean is it really that absurd?

"Absurd" means unreasonable or irrational.

Think about the idea of installing a single footer inside a building that is destined to be torn down. I only say "destined" in a hypothetical sense, because if there were a footer in there for a new ride, the building would obviously have to come down.

Why would they install a footer in a condemned building? What would be the reason for such a move? The only reason I can think of would be to hide said footer. But that's not in keeping with how CF has tackled construction projects in the past - Diamondback's footers/planters being the most recent example I can think of, and of course there's Maverick and countless other examples. If the project timeline determined that footers needed to be poured now, they'd simply start pouring footers now, evidence be damned. In short, it's unreasonable and irrational to assume CF is interested in hiding a footer. And this is to say nothing of the added cost of "hiding" this footer.

So, suggesting the company is doing something that has no rational or reasonable purpose is, by definition, absurd. That's not to say it's impossible. But something can be simultaneously possible and absurd. :)

The only reason I picked on you is because you should know better, being a veteran of CP/CF construction projects. There are more than enough asinine theories flying around without you tossing a bottle of Everclear on the proverbial fire. ;)

Brandon

Titandwedebil said:
Forget drop towers, we need one of those falling towers.

They already had that when Vertigo was installed :)

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

^ agreed that CP/CF isn't going out of their way to 'hide' footers or other construction.

New CEO has worked with Disney's year round operations before this. I think it might be his style to do the work whenever it needs to be completed, of course providing minimal guest experience intrusion.

Just look at this year already-
1. Expanding the already planned Celebration Plaza, working in the On-Season
2. Removing Wildcat Just before park opened
3. Removing Wave Swinger during normal operating season

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

You Could take down the building and people would think there is a new ride. gp alot of them dont know there is a ride were dt is

Wave Swinger was not removed.

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Well, it was, but it has since been put back.

And for the record, it isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened. Somewhere I have an old photo of the Monster with a completely superfluous "Ride Closed" sign on it. Or rather, an old photo of the concrete pad where Monster normally sits, with a completely superfluous "Ride Closed" sign on it.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

If you could find it, I'd love to see that photo.

They call me Sheehan.
coasterandtreeloversbuzz.com

CP fanatic 2400 said:
Just in case everyone had not heard yet, the green B&M wingrider track is not going to Cedar Point. It has been shipped to Ocean Kingdom in Zhuhai, Guangdong, China.

That's good news! This means that a B&M of any type could go in that area if that in fact is what's going to happen for 2013. What I heard from a friend of a friend was that just the building was being removed, not Disaster Transport. From what you guys are saying when it used to be Avalanche Run, why would they go back to that? Didn't someone on here recently explain why it became Disaster Transport in the first place? I believe it was noise related.

How about an entire"classic" park section in the parking/beach area. paint avalanche run brown and you have a flying turns type rire, add Big Dipper from Geauga lake. You can than move the carousel over there and make a long boardwalk with specialty food and merch stands,and a pier now you have an entire new section of the park and you put the wing rider over by raptor. This would fit the "everything to everyone" way of thinking. mabe even a possible museum for old parks. This will get the geezer count up.

Last edited by the ffej man,

I'm not sure how feasible a pier into the lake would be, though that would be awesome, it'd definitely be more than $25 million especially to fully outfit it.

A sort of "Lost Kennywood" section by the beach would be fun, but you're certainly not getting any points by claiming that it'll be useful solely to attract geezers.

The suspense is killing me!~~~~~~~

The suspense of reading the next post that is......

I love this time of year. I will take a can of spray paint with me every time I visit CP just to hear what it turns into on the rumor mill.

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

Seriously. It's almost tempting to start some far-off but still marginally believable rumors just to see who winds up running with them, and the telephone game that results, until it's taken as fact by the time it gets to other coaster forums or Screamscape.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service