Cedar Point 2013

Kevinj said:
Do people still ride Space Spiral? I'm serious. Mainly because I am never near the entrance, but that has not been on my mental map for years.

Well I have never been on it because it has never been open when I'm there. I deffently think Cedar Point has some plans for it. Like it was said, the cap will be $25 million in 2013 so I could see maybe $17 million for a coaster and maybe $3 million for a refurbishment for Space Spiral and $5 million for the rest of the park.

When something is done with Disaster Transport, something will be done with Space Spiral. Whether they take it out or fully renovate it. I think moving it is out of the question.

Last edited by Maverick00,

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Isn't Space Spiral's foundation like insanely deep to anchor the tower? No way they'd move it. I know the general consensus with the new management after Wildcat is that nothing is sacred, but I get the sense that the Space Spiral is a little wee too much more iconic than Wildcat to do anything with short of again, a refurbishment.

Besides, with the whole Family Park thing, the Space Spiral is the only way a good percentage of guests are going to go that high in the air. Not on Power Tower, not on the coasters, not even on Windseeker.

The question they face is not "What rides can we NOT touch due to their iconic-ness?" but rather "How high are the maintenance costs for _______ and is putting the money to keep it running justifiable with its ridership?" Don't forget that they took Paddlewheel, which was very iconic. And I believe it was for the same reasons (high maintenance/low ridership).

Plus, I doubt the huge foundation for Space Spiral would stop them from either digging it out, or building around it.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

I'd actually argue that Paddlewheel wasn't the iconic version, Western Cruise was, so in a way it was already deviated enough from its "classic" version for it to make a difference.

That and compared to something like Wildcat I really, really can't see Space Spiral being a huge maintenance hog. Or that hard to refurbish, for that matter.

Well that's something the park knows more than us.

^ True but since when has that stopped conversations here about a variety of subjects?

I've always thought about a refurbishment for Space Spiral, including having the ability to actually see out the windows.

Space Spiral is basically just an elevator with a special cabin. I would guess that it is one of the easier rides to maintain.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Maintenance aside, do you guys really think they would keep it even if it posed a hindrance to the new ride/coaster's creation? I don't, especially due to its lack of activity. I grew up with the ride, but even as iconic as it may be I can see good reasons to get rid of it, especially if it's going to get in the way of a new coaster or its entrance.

I personally think it'd be cool to work something around it/incorporate it into the new area somehow. And I wouldn't mind seeing it get a refurbishment. I agree that simply being able to see out the windows would be a huge improvement in itself. And perhaps do something unique with the second level that people can choose to take......like an open air view. Though I doubt that's even doable with the design of the cabin and any safety requirements that would have to be considered.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

I remember hearing something about a Space Spiral refurb being on the agenda. I can't for the life of me remember who told me that or how long ago... It was in the past two years. Anybody else remember hearing that rumor?

Also, the $25mill cap isn't necessarily an end all, be all number. It's looking more and more like things can easily change on the fly, even if it will cost more money up front. What do you think the original amount of money they set aside for Luminosity was before it is what it is today?

I don't know the guy personally, but when Ouimet gave out that number, I don't think he meant that they weren't willing to go over $25 mill. And for all we know, it could be the coaster would cost $23mill and that leaves $2mill to refurb the DT/Space spiral area. And you have to think about the "new view of the beach" comment.

They call me Sheehan.
coasterandtreeloversbuzz.com

I see no reason to get rid of it, but some type of upgrade would be nice. Once they ask me to come in and explain my vision for the new CP Cyclone midway, I'll let all of you know the details. :)

Promoter of fog.

use it for a vertical lift coaster :)

A Space Spiral LED Lighting Package would really round out that section of the park.

Until Windseeker came around that midway was the least busy, the lighting packages are really bringing new life to that area.

And it all helps bring the focus to the beach

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Like lights that actually spiral up and down the tower; and you could do some funky things with the cabin as well.

I would say update the thing (it does make a nice family attraction), and just integrate it into whatever comes next.

Promoter of fog.

That midway has so many posibilities. A new lighting package on it would be amazing along with a new coaster. I'm pretty sure Knott's Berry Farm recently refurbished there's, anybody have an idea on how much that cost?

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Willijs3 said:
...when Ouimet gave out that number, I don't think he meant that they weren't willing to go over $25 mill. And for all we know, it could be the coaster would cost $23mill and that leaves $2mill to refurb the DT/Space spiral area. And you have to think about the "new view of the beach" comment.

Where/when did you see/hear this? Am I missing something?

Ok here's a thought...If the Cedars are going to be torn down, how about moving the Space Spiral to that location and reroute Perimeter Road. This would open up the space around DT and still keep one of the few rides that the whole family, regardless of age, can ride together.

Jason

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so infrequently used?

I think SS, if it's going to remain in the park for the long-term, should stay exactly where it is...and incorporate the kind of lighting package being discussed here. The more that I think of it, with Disaster Transport ultimately and inevitably leaving (maybe next year, maybe in two decades) what this then creates is a nighttime skyscape against the backdrop of the beach. The visuals would be beyond stunning; this would be something that not even Disney could match, simply because of the location.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

TTD 120mph said:
And perhaps do something unique with the second level that people can choose to take......like an open air view. Though I doubt that's even doable with the design of the cabin and any safety requirements that would have to be considered.

Adding on to this, what if the second level was completely open--no ceiling or wall of windows in front of you, with only a platform to stand on. Mantis-like standing restraints could be attached to the inner wall (where the seats would normally be), providing a unique and sort of freaky experience. I think that would be really cool and would turn an old family ride into a 2-in-1 ride. Thrill seekers would enjoy the open-air, standing, no barrier upper level while more families would enjoy the enclosed, seated lower level. Plus add some cool lighting to the tower, and you get practically a new ride! An entire new ride cabin would probably have to be installed though, since I'm not sure how easily the existing one could be converted to it. I know this will probably never happen to the ride, but I would love it if this happened.

Last edited by Ride On_17,

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service