Cedar Point 2013

jo linn said:
While I too would love to see a good woodie there, I would think that from a long term maintenance stand point on the beach, a steel coaster would probably make more sense.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Charm, beauty, and aesthetic appeal will always lock horns with "long term maintenance" perspectives.

To each his/her own.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I thought that the comments regarding Cedar Point never getting a wooden coaster was in regards to the Intamin prefab type only, a full regular wooden coaster wasn't out of the question. Or were these statements made at a different time?

R.I.P. Mr. Scott

If memory serves me correct, that was about Intamin pre-fab....but all that is a mute point now that the Kinzel has left the building.

Promoter of fog.

^And that was my point when I originally asked the question. I had thought Kinzel did say that but when Adam said Monty stated it, that jogged my memory. If Kinzel had anything to do with not seeing wood at the park since 1991, hopefully now that he is gone we will see some nice timber at the park.

jo linn said:
While I too would love to see a good woodie there, I would think that from a long term maintenance stand point on the beach, a steel coaster would probably make more sense.

Aside from blowing sand, how is a woodie on the beach too different from the location of Mean Streak? It's not as if the lake is saltwater, and unless the beach side is more exposed to winds or what have you than the end of the peninsula, I don't see how big of a difference it would make. In a way I'd actually argue that sand would be worse for a steel structure, since wood doesn't corrode or rust.

Besides, you could always go with a steel superstructure like Voyage (which would humorously enough fit the Cyclone theme more if you went that way) and make it a moot point.

^^ Actually, it was Kinzel who commented on the idea of Intamin's prefab track and the fact that he didn't care for it (or something along those lines). I recall Monty (and a few others) just noting the high maintenance of wooden coasters in general.

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Eh...they were all the same person when Kinzel was there anyway. Point being, Kinzel is gone so everyone gets wood.

Prowler at WOF & Renegade at VF show that CF, under Kinzel, seemed to like GCI woodies

Last edited by Captain Hawkeye,

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

^^::snickers:: Yea, the prospects of wood in our future are better than ever. :)

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Well most likely California's Great America is getting a GCI woodie this year and whatever coaster is built in 2013, was planned under Kinzel.

Last edited by Maverick00,

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

I would like to see a Gravity Group coaster if they choose wood. A 300 foot dive machine would be a great addition in my opinion.

Based on past history (admittely Kinzel is gone), if it's wood, it will be GCI

This Isn't A Hospital--It's An Insane Asylum!

Makes me wonder, if they decide to with a wooden roller coaster, would that mean they would completely remove Disaster Transport, Space Spiral, and the shops in that area that nobody goes to anymore? Also that would mean they would have to build another building for Happy Jack's Toy Factory. Where would they build that?

Do people still ride Space Spiral? I'm serious. Mainly because I am never near the entrance, but that has not been on my mental map for years.

Promoter of fog.

I see quite a few people riding it when it's actually open. Finding it actually open anymore is another story.

Personally I think it would be a much better ride in the middle of the park or near the back of the peninsula, but if they were going to tear it down to move it (the likelyhood of which is about as good as me being able to ride Wildcat on my next trip) I would hope they replaced it all together with a new (and possibly air conditioned!) version.

Hi guys long time follower 1st time poster. To be honest i'd love a great woodie but i don't see that happening and my reasoning for that is how big of a wooden coaster have to to be to cost said $25 million dollars. Leviathan cost $27 million so obviously steel price has gone up since TTD and Millennium Force came to be. I cant imagine it being as large as either of those coasters.No matter what CP gets it should be a welcome addition.

I don't think they're planning a wooden coaster for 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbEQ0aRmTCk#t=16m13s

It's not air conditioned? Yikes. Nothing says summer fun like riding up and down a 200 foot tower in a hot smelly cabin.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Kevin, I love your plan for a resurrected Cyclone and associated beach and shop improvements, big +1.

Also, someone said it would not be practical to build a 25 million dollar wood coaster, well Mr Oiumet was reported saying that the budget for improvements at CP is 25 mil next year, all of it will not be spent on a ride most likely. They can put in a nice 10 to 15 million coaster, with the rest of the money going towards other projects.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service