The Boardwalk - New for 2023

So, the pads that are being formed for Matterhorn & Scrambler. Am I correct to assume that the one closer to Tiki Twirl is Matterhorn as it appears to be a flat surface pad whereas the one to the left must be Scrambler as it has a pit for the center mechanisms there. Just was looking at the webcam and the workers hustling about.

Interesting that they are working on a Saturday, in not great weather to say the least.

Looking at the concept art again got me thinking about the grass area. CP doesn't have many existing lawns that aren't fenced off, and the ones they do have seem to be only decorative. Shores is fine with people putting down towels. Gemini has the service dog area. But for the most part people 'stay off the grass'. They had a fake grass lawn when the area had the stage, assuming it'll be real now.

Is there a policy to ask people not to go into those areas? Wondering if people will be sitting in the boardwalk's grass to rest, or watch the fireworks, or if that'll be off limits.

It's not unusual for contractors to work weekends, especially to meet project deadlines.

Well sure, now that they've shown Chick-fil-A the door.

Promoter of fog.

Some, once they leave high school, find it a shock to realize that the work-a-day world isn’t strictly M-F. Most people in construction, and many other jobs, are hourly employees and appreciate the opportunity to put in the time.
And true, as time begins to run out on a project, days when the site is inactive are fewer and farther between.

I think the comment was based on an earlier conversation about whether or not they were on schedule.

djDaemon:

You can usually get a sense for whether or not they're behind or ahead of schedule based on how much overtime they're putting in. If, for example, they're not working on a nice weather Saturday, it's a safe bet they are on or ahead of schedule.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

It was, thank you. So by the above logic it’s possible they’ve fallen slightly behind. Although I’m sure they will get it done on time.

Of course, I figured Kings Island would have their new area done on time and that’s been pushed back.

Saturday tours don’t necessarily mean overtime. There could be scheduled Saturdays, and Sundays for that matter. Overtime pay is usually only granted after 40 hours and scheduled Sunday tours may include a slight differential. That little extra encourages employees to sign up for Sunday (granted by seniority) and take a weekday as a scheduled day off. A seven day work week may be implemented in order to keep things on a site moving along but not necessarily by the same crew every day.

Tours? I've got to know what that means. Differential? You mean overtime, right? Which for tradesmen is 99.9% of the time is doubletime on Sundays and everything over 40 isn't "usually" overtime, it's always time and a half. It doesnt matter if Saturday is scheduled or not, it's overtime. Sign up for Sundays? Employers don't often "ask" employees. And if they do "ask", it doesn't sit well if you decline. Also, unless you're a union shop, seniority doesn't mean anything. Tell me you don't work in the trades without telling me you don't work in the trades.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

My comment about whether or not they're behind schedule was meant in a general sense. There are plenty of reasons they'd work a particular weekend day, or work a 12 hour day here and there, despite being on or ahead of schedule, depending on what they're working on. And it could be a particular trades team that needs to put in overtime rather than the whole crew. But if there's a hive of activity seven days a week, 10-plus hours per day on a consistent basis, it's a safe bet they're trying to catch up.

jimmyburke:

the one to the left must be Scrambler as it has a pit for the center mechanisms there.

Correct. Also, you can see the hexagonal shape of Scrambler's concrete base, which matches what we can see at the ride's previous location.

Brandon

One thing I find interesting about that Google image you just posted, look at the cars on Scrambler. The ride might have been in motion or there were more than one image snapped as there seems to be multiple "arms of the ride or more than exist in real time.

Image stitching!

Good catch Jimmy, I had a very drawn out post about satellite imagery in the TTD thread but one thing that this is a great example of is they use multiple visual and LIDAR (laser imaging, detecting, and ranging; it's how they give depth to images) images layered to get the image their looking for. Note how none of the people near the bathroom/Matterhorn look solid, more like a shadow, it's because they weren't there in all the original images and it's creates a "phantom" just like we see on scrambler!

Still haven't been able to uncross these circuits...
DJ Fischer

vwhoward- I retired with 33.5 years from a union shop. I was schedule clerk for a while and I know exactly what I’m talking about.
Tour is short for tour of duty. “I pulled the 9-6 tour next week”. Workers were canvassed by seniority for vacations and preferred tours, which is how it should be. We were 24/7/365 and OT only kicked in once we clocked 40 hours, the day didn’t matter. Differential tours carried a slightly higher hourly wage, presumably to insure that those inconvenient shifts got covered without having to force from the bottom up. And you can believe those Sundays and evenings had plenty of takers. This common scheduling practice may be in effect at the companies Cedar Point contracts or maybe not.
My point really was to say that just because there’s activity at the site on any given Saturday doesn’t necessarily mean that anyone is paying overtime or that anyone is forced to catch up. It may just be a scheduled day.

Concrete in the snow - fun times.

That must depend on your unions contract.

Round here it goes:

If the schedule is 5 8hr days to make 40, or 4 10hr days to make 40-

Anything above 40 is 1.5 time in a week

Anything above your scheduled 8hr or 10hr in a day is overtime at 1.5

Anything on Saturday is 1.5 time

Anything on Sunday is 2 time

Also- Clock in starts when your on site if your take your own vehicle, or if you need to take a company ride (bus, truck or car)clock in starts when you enter that vehicle. This is if the site doesn't allow POVs on propriety or if there is a park and ride.

Keep in mind each local has their own contract.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Right. I’m aware that union contracts are bargained for, and contracts differ, but state law prevails regarding minimum wage and minimum overtime. In Ohio over 40/week pays the rate of 1.5 times the hourly wage. The day of the week isn’t necessarily the determining factor.
I looked up Florida and that law states that any hours worked over 40 in any given work week pays 1.5. A work week is 7 consecutive 24 hour days, and the work week can start on any day of the week. I can’t find a rule stating that simply coming in for Sunday OT entitles a worker to double time as you suggest. If it’s granted then I’d consider that to be a sweet contract.
Usually, if an employer is smart, they will schedule someone to work Sunday but furlough them another day of the week keeping their regular hours to 40 and avoiding having to pay OT. (Because nobody likes paying OT.)
Once again, my only point was that Saturday activity on a webcam should not necessarily suggest that anyone is on overtime or that a project is behind. It could easily be a regularly scheduled day.

New progress pic from the lake side for those who don't follow reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cedarpoint/comments/11qfcpt/looking_good/

That looks pretty good. Can't wait to see what it looks like in the summer.

Steel Vengeance rides: 210

I'd rather be sailing

Marina operations attendant 2021-2023

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service