Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

I'll just run back my comment from a month ago. The only difference is that instead of hanging on "reimagined" people are now hanging on "one-of-a-kind."

djDaemon:

No one is saying the marketing is accidental or completely random or whatever, but people are extrapolating literally several tens of millions of cap ex out of simple word choices, which is patently insane. But hey, not their money, right? Much easier to spend someone else's money if you're not accountable for the outcome, like RCT in sandbox mode.

Brandon

But I'm not hanging on one of a kind. At this point, I'm over it. An LSM conversion, new trains, and a paint job isn't what I would've hoped for. A lot of people will be glad "Top Thrill Dragster is back!" And that is what most people will think. It will be "a one of a kind experience that we've had all along!" I'm way more excited about this boardwalk than the lipstick they're putting on this pig. Also, I look forward to this continuing its legacy as something that holds large amounts of people in line for long periods of time. Hopefully making waiting for other things a little more bearable.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

But there has been rumblings of F1 coming to Mid-Ohio for years.

Uhhhhh, no. There never has been in the last decade.

Mid Ohio couldn't even keep IMSA cause the place is absolutely in shambles. The track owners are cheap bastards that refuse to put any money into the place. They'd never spend the millions upon millions to bring the track up to FIA grade 1 standards. F1 would never go to a cornfield for a race either. There's literally no less than a dozen other tracks and dozen cities for street courses that would be considered before Mid Ohio.

Last edited by MichaelB,

vwhoward:

But I'm not hanging on one of a kind.

Lol if you don't want to I will hang on it. Extended layout confirmed!

Hopefully “formula” is just a reference to Formula Rossa’s top speed and/or a change to LSM like Red Force. I love motorsports but a licensed F1 theme is cringe and off-putting to me for some reason.

Some of us figured out in the fall/winter of 2002 that TTD was going to be racing themed but didn't picture the out and back full circuit design. The park should further what started as a great concept 20 years ago but never materialized and make the "re-imagined" 2024 ride into a true Formula 1/ drag race theme. By this, have 2 side by side dueling coaster race cars (with a middle loading station between the tracks) vie for the finish line at the end. As much fun as it was to sit in the grandstands and watch TTD on opening day in May 2003 ( I still have my personal home video from that time), this re-imagining could be a little more interesting and have better potential. Don't know of any other coasters like this currently either. Just my 2c.

Sounds very expensive and while it would be fun to watch the races, how would the park recoup the cost? I don’t see people coming from far and wide to experience this “new” coaster.

Haha, Top Thrill Gemini! Fun idea, but also would never happen. Especially at that speed on a single track.

Someone at Cedar Point got a new drone!

C Hertling:

I know its a lot to base off one sentence... But stating that the new version of TTD is "one-of-a-kind" seems like it would be a LOT more than just reworking the launch/brakes and cars.

Hahaha buckle up!

Regarding the YouTubers... If you spend hours speculating about every possible thing, of course one of them will be right. But it's just a one-sided version of your typical forum thread. Only it's filled with video that they didn't shoot. They aren't making anything new or valuable, but obsessed people eat it up anyway.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

::opens coffin::

What I miss?

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

C'mon guys. No layout change, too expensive, but a tunnel with video/lighting effects. Who doesn't love speeding out of a themed tunnel up into the open sky? Book it. And possibly into another tunnel on brake side.

If CP was smart, they would just enclose the whole thing. Slap a big "420 E" on the side of it. Could be the newest way to get to Alaska.

The video mentioned grey test paint on the supports, the pic on the new webpage is entirely grayscale, coincidence?

A rolling launch out of a short tunnel with lights/theming would be cool IMO, albeit similar to Maverick.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

TTD 120mph:

Slap a big "420 E" on the side of it.

Throw a "I'm losing control" audio spiel in there and I'm sold!

I'll even sweeten the deal with a "re imagined" Dave animatronic that will only work for 2 months.

Jeff:

Regarding the YouTubers... If you spend hours speculating about every possible thing, of course one of them will be right. But it's just a one-sided version of your typical forum thread. Only it's filled with video that they didn't shoot. They aren't making anything new or valuable, but obsessed people eat it up anyway.

I agree with you, please time-stamp in the video where El Toro Ryan speculated without any reason or logic or inside source.

This blanket statement is pretty meaningless. This isn't theme park predictions and more, if it was, I would agree with you.

Last edited by Frog Hopper King,

argues just for clicks

Innovative. One-of-a kind. Formula.

All words that can be interpreted from a certain point of view if it fits your idea of what you want/think is happening.

Did I stutter, Luke?

A 420-foot launched coaster with the new Zamperla trains is one-of-a-kind. Taking something old and re-engineering it to make it new again is innovation. And formula could just be a nod to the ride's racing history (and potential future) without it necessarily being "Formula 1" (like the cool "Ready to go" fade out in the video). And waiting until 2024 could just be the park not rushing anything since this was not necessarily in the 5 year plan 5 years ago, or the 3 year plan 3 years ago...not needing a year for 54 more footers to get set into place.

Cool video, though. Liked the background music, and it was a nice surprise to see something from the park on a seemingly random Monday in January.

Promoter of fog.

TTD 120mph:

I'll even sweeten the deal with a "re imagined" Dave animatronic that will only work for 2 months.

Give Dave some lsms, I'm sure he'll be much more reliable.

Frog Hopper King:

If this is in regard to Eltoro Ryan then woof you got it really wrong. How embarrassing for you.

Yeah? See if you can find the video where he stole my video, had to pay me for it, then removed it from the offending video. You don't know what you're talking about.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service