Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

RideMan:

Presumably the Blue Streak is still running with its original trains

I'm pretty sure those were brand new trains in 1994, at the same time they removed the manual brakes and rerouted the queue.

Frog Hopper King:

... before they invented steel coasters there were only wooden coasters and then after the innovation of the steel coaster, there has been a decline of wooden coasters to steel. Right?

Considering the oldest operating steel roller coaster in the world was built in 1928, I'm going to go ahead and say no. Before you jump on me about 1959 - that was the first tubular steel coaster. There were PLENTY built out of angle iron long before that happened. The tubular steel concept just revolutionized it. Loop The Loop was a steel coaster that operated between 1904 and 1908 - and there were plenty of wooden coasters built all throughout the early 1900's.

Frog Hopper King:

...but compare that number to the full amount of roller coasters being built per year and steel easily takes the cake.

That's not what you were arguing. You said the industry was "moving away" from wood coasters. The numbers over time show it ebbs and flows, but the trend line is pretty flat, and it has been for a long time. No one disagrees that there are more steel coasters being made.

Also, Cedar Pointer knows some people who can build you a deck.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Hmm, let's take 1959 (Matterhorn Bobsleds, first modern steel coaster) and 1975 (first modern corkscrew, with modern loops to follow in 1976) as our benchmark years. One would presume that somewhere in that time period or just afterwards, you'd have a fairly equivalent number of wooden and steel coasters being built. You also figure the 70s are also when the Taft/Paramount parks and the Marriott Great Americas were being built, and it'd be interesting in hindsight to compare the opening day lineups of all of those parks that opened around the same time.

Last edited by That Crazy Dan,

Jeff:

You may know carpenters who worked on the ride, cool, but I know the guys who designed it, and they're still quite employed, innovating and profitable.

OK, boys... let's whip 'em out and lay 'em down!

No fluffers.

JHCA.

Last edited by DaveDzRochNY,

Jeff:

That's not what you were arguing. You said the industry was "moving away" from wood coasters. The numbers over time show it ebbs and flows, but the trend line is pretty flat, and it has been for a long time. No one disagrees that there are more steel coasters being made.

I never made that argument.

Last edited by Frog Hopper King,

argues just for clicks

Whose ready for the new trains to be absolute garbage!!!

e x i t english:

Considering the oldest operating steel roller coaster in the world was built in 1928, I'm going to go ahead and say no. Before you jump on me about 1959 - that was the first tubular steel coaster. There were PLENTY built out of angle iron long before that happened. The tubular steel concept just revolutionized it.

That's really interesting, i didn't know that. Most sources that I looked at wrongly stated that Matterhorn was the first steel coaster. Thanks for letting me know.

I would modify my argument to say that once steel coasters became easier to build then it seems more companies focused on building them. Just looking at this wiki page, a quick glance at the 70-80s shows a disproportionate amount of steel to wooden coasters being built.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roller_coasters_introduced_in_1987

@speed demon. I hope not! Dragsters trains were so awesome. That's why I was hoping for Intamin to be involved. The trains/seats on Velocicoaster are amazing. Here is hoping for lap bar only!

argues just for clicks

SpeedDemon:

Whose ready for the new trains to be absolute garbage!!!

Wouldn’t make sense for Premier to be doing the conversion if the old track was being send to Europe. But a lot of the puzzle pieces aren’t fitting into place, so who knows?

Stupid question... was the track for CP's Intamins manufactured at the same plant in Clermont that B&M uses, or does that facility only do B&M track? Couldn't remember if the track was originally made in Europe and shipped over or not.

Frog Hopper King:

Wait, what? First, Cedar Pointer made this claim (which you +1'd):

Cedar Pointer:

The market has been moving away from wood coasters for years.

To which Jeff responded:

Jeff:

Again, the companies building wood coasters would be shocked to hear this.

To which you responded:

Frog Hopper King:

Then why of the 96 new coasters being built next year is only one of them a wooden coaster? Seems like the overwhelming data disproves your anecdote. right?

Which I pointed out was a poor argument given the data literally shows that wooden coasters, while rarer than steel, are basically as popular as they've been throughout modern history.

Brandon

CPVet:

Wouldn’t make sense for Premier to be doing the conversion if the old track was being send to Europe.

I mean. If Intamin is doing the track/launch conversions and premier is only handling the trains. I don’t think it would matter where the track goes. “industry legend” could very well suggest they are working with intamin not CP.

The terms "Industry legend" and "legacy attraction on a grander scale" could mean damn near anything about many people, companies, parks, and attractions.

Fair point. But those things combined with what we know make me suspect it’s TTD. Do we have any other huge rides being reworked in the same way that we know about (other than RMCs)?

That Crazy Dan:

Stupid question... was the track for CP's Intamins manufactured at the same plant in Clermont that B&M uses, or does that facility only do B&M track? Couldn't remember if the track was originally made in Europe and shipped over or not.

Stakotra Manufacturing in Slovakia. Here are pics from when they prefit the track and supports while the tower was laying on its side, all before it was shipped to CP!

djDaemon:

Frog Hopper King:

Wait, what? First, Cedar Pointer made this claim (which you +1'd):

Cedar Pointer:

The market has been moving away from wood coasters for years.

To which Jeff responded:

Jeff:

Again, the companies building wood coasters would be shocked to hear this.

To which you responded:

Frog Hopper King:

Then why of the 96 new coasters being built next year is only one of them a wooden coaster? Seems like the overwhelming data disproves your anecdote. right?

Which I pointed out was a poor argument given the data literally shows that wooden coasters, while rarer than steel, are basically as popular as they've been throughout modern history.

To Quote Jeff. "You are vastly overestimating my investment in this topic."

argues just for clicks

Says the guy who has made 40 posts in this topic, a fifth of his total "investment" in the last ten years. LULZ

Keep trollin', yo...

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

The same critique can easily be levied against you. (it's almost like I was subtly making that point with my post.)

And I am not trolling, so nice mind-reading there Jeff.

argues just for clicks

So.. uh, when does that "Ignore" feature get implemented? :D

Maybe next version.

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service