The Boardwalk - New for 2023

Given that there are often times where numerous locations are unable to open due (presumably) to lack of staffing, it makes sense to go with the least labor-intensive solution - guests from Breakers and the beach will need to enter the park to get into Grand Pavilion.

My main curiosity involves it being multistory. Are they going with two kitchens, or one serving both floors?

Brandon

Jeff:

The Gerstlauers are too aggressive for what they wanted to install,

Definitely agree here. A Gerst would have just been too intense for what they were going for

djDaemon:

numerous locations are unable to open

That seems like an increasingly severe problem recently. I'm sure they'll keep it staffed while its a new attraction, but with the track record of restaurants in that area, wonder what it will look like in a few years? What else will close to keep it open?

There was a conversation here about smaller food stands closing in favor of the larger buildings. Was that an official thing, or someone's speculation?

I am not certain about the beach/hotel guest access. That was just a logical guess because I have no idea how such a big building will be utilized by one of the least crowded midways in the park.

What's the status of indoor catering locations near Breakers? Do those still exist or were they removed as part of the Coral Courtyard overhaul years ago? I remember being in a banquet room of some sort during a BooBuzz in the past. Could they possibly be planning to use the Pavilion for those purposes?

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

I would think they would have a dedicated entrance to the park that would be staffed, and would require a pass or ticket to enter.

Hersheypark does this with one of their retail locations. There is an entrance outside the park, as well as one from inside the park. You need to show a ticket, pass, or handstamp to re-enter the park.

Hudson:

There was a conversation here about smaller food stands closing in favor of the larger buildings. Was that an official thing, or someone's speculation?

I would say it's informed speculation based on the park's move away the old school, inefficient ordering/pickup windows toward the modern cafeteria-style joints they've been building, which are far more efficient.

That's why I don't see them adding a beach-side entrance to Grand Pavilion, since that requires additional staff that is in short supply. And really, it's not needed, given that the Windseeker Gate is right there, is already necessary, and there's only a trivial few extra steps needed to go through that gate and into GP versus having another gate at the building itself. In other words, having a beach-side entrance to GP would be a pretty poor use of limited resources with a negligible benefit.

Brandon

What about maybe just a beach side only entrance with a wall in the middle of the first floor for beach guests without a park ticket? Or maybe just a walk-up window on the beach side. I don't know how many guests go to the beach without a park ticket but it may not be a significant amount to justify adding those things.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Chuck Wagon:

That was just a logical guess because I have no idea how such a big building will be utilized by one of the least crowded midways in the park.

Something tells me it will be just a tad busier this season.

Promoter of fog.

The renderings almost make it look like there are doors on both the park and beach side right in the middle. I wonder if the Grand Pavilion itself becomes the entrance to the park on the beach side and they close the gate by Windseeker entirely.

No, it doesn't look like there are doors on that side. In fact, there are exactly 2 windows on the first floor, and those are on the corners of the building. But even if there were a gate there, it wouldn't make any sense, since that would force park guests to fight their way through a crowded restaurant just to get into the park.

There more I think about it, it just doesn't make sense for there to be an entrance to GP from the beach side. The existing WS gate is right there, so it's not like it adds any distance to the walk for GP guess coming from the beach.

Last edited by djDaemon,

Brandon

Where are you seeing there are only two windows on the first floor?

I thought I recalled during a livestream Q&A/construction site tour with Tony a while back that he confirmed that there would not be a beach side entrance to the Pavilion. While I agree it would make a lot of sense to make some provisions to serving those on the beach (even if it is just a walk up window for drinks/quick serve foods for those on the beach side vs. a serving line for those inside the park) but it looks like that won't be the case here.

Got it must have missed that

djDaemon:

there are exactly 2 windows on the first floor

https://forums.pointbuzz.com/Forums/PostLink/621944

There's the screenshot from earlier in the thread. That whole side of the building is solid wall on the 1st floor where you'd expect nice big lake view windows. I'm guessing that's where the kitchen will be. The weird shadow right in the middle doesn't help clear anything up.

It's really hard to tell what's in the middle under the overhang. But maybe it could be a walk-up window. I would've though they would make it so beach guests could get something and a walk-up window would be sufficient enough to serve those guests. I get that the WS gate is close by but not everybody on the beach has any intention of going into the park or even has park admission at all. I know you can go to the beach without a park ticket. But I don't know how many of those guests there are and if it would be enough to justify the added expense of staffing a walk-up window.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Yeah I did watch that introductory video again and saw the beach side rendering showing a solid wall. It seems ironic that you're trying to open up the lake views and do that but I guess like you said the kitchens have to go somewhere.

Simply an artist rendering. Actual result may be different.

Between the ferris wheel, the shed, and the line incident I figure that CP has gotten smart. They realize that there is a booming market for private experiences at the parkt and they will be offering windowless lakeside frolic rooms. Rates by the hour of course.

Add the windows back in, make it a red-light district, watch attendance soar.

There’s apps for that..

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service