Wicked Twister Deconstruction

They likely closed it early because it's a relatively unpopular ride and they only have so many employees, especially this time of year, and super-especially this year in the absence of international workers.

Plus, as others have mentioned, they may be doing work during the week that we can't see.

Brandon

Top Thrill 182 said:

I love the idea of a WT conversion, but I’m having a hard time envisioning what that would look like. Unlike Mantis, I don’t know anyone who disliked WT’s original train.

Seriously?!? I HATED that train with its shrinking safety belts. If they were to retrofit it with the new Impulse trains from China with the over-the-shoulder lapbars, I would be thrilled.

ROUNDABOUND.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember if they did “last rides” on Mantis and Mean Streak before their conversion?

Campfreak06, reborn

Mean Streak was more Last Rites. Cool procession down to the graveyard as well.
Perfect for first night of Halloweekends.

2020TpForSale said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember if they did “last rides” on Mantis and Mean Streak before their conversion?

Demon Drop had a 'last ride' event at the end of the last operating day Nov. 1, 2009.

Mantis had a 'last ride day' on Oct. 19, 2014.

Mean Streak gad a 'last ride day' on Sept. 16, 2016.

Commemorative buttons were given to all who rode Mantis and Mean Streak those days.

number of times to Cedar Point:50s/60s/70s/80s-3,1995-1,1996-27,1997-18,1998-13,1999-20,2000-16,2001-8,2002-7,2003-18,2004-14,2005-18,2006-28,2007-16,2008-17,2009-28,2010-26,2011-27,2012-21,2013-18,2014-24,2015-29,2016-46,2017-13,2018-14,2019-10,2020-0,2021-3 Running Total-483 72,000 miles traveled for the point.

Thanks. Now, does anyone remember if their conversions were announced before or after their last rides?

Campfreak06, reborn

Before in the case of Mantis, after in the case of Mean Streak.

But that's not really relevant here, because WT almost certainly isn't being converted into anything other than scrap. The only conceivable conversion would be to a different launch technology, but that would hardly warrant an announcement of its closure.

Brandon

I'm still holding out hope for a relocation.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

I remember seeing videos of the line for Mean Streak on its last day… It was unreal. I’d I didn’t know better I would have thought it was staged.

ROUNDABOUND.

Hello everyone. Anyone go to the park this past weekend? Just wandering If you noticed any de-construction and/or more markers on the pavement?

I was there. Didn't notice any survey markers, but I didn't look closely for any. I did walk by it on the boardwalk. Wicked Twister's station entrance sign was lit up at night. Sad to see this ride go.

There are markings around the ride, which is to be expected in an area where they will presumably be excavating.

Brandon

I think that it's way past the possibility of relocation. If they ever contemplated doing that it would have been done years ago. They may salvage some control components, that's it.

^They moved Demon Drop when it was 26 years old and outdated.

Last edited by vwhoward,

Joe

It seems like there are a few folks on here who are just very stuck on (or in denial of) this ride being torn down and not being moved elsewhere in the park or to another park. What’s so hard to believe that a ride is beyond its useful life?

I suspect most of the people who can't imagine the ride being torn down and scrapped aren't much older than the ride itself. It's more difficult to imagine something that's been there for your entire life just going away, than it is for others who have seen several rides come and go over the years.

Brandon

mgou58 said:

What’s so hard to believe that a ride is beyond its useful life?

The Bluestreak! It still rides on!

I circled WT on Sunday, and in addition to the previously mentioned/documented ground markings, I noticed some minor queue deconstruction has begun. All signage, the test seat, and telephone have been removed from the queue entrance. The "exit" signs have also been removed from the exit gates, and I saw a "maximum height" sign laying on the ground between the station and queue, suggesting some station signage may have been removed.

Thrills Around the Corner!

dj, I'm definitely old enough to remember the 80s in the park. I'm not saying that is being moved elsewhere (definitely not staying in the park). I'm also not saying it isn't. I'm old enough to realize I'm in a position that I truly don't know. I'm absolutely not privy to that type of information. I was just saying that it is definitely a possibility. Again, I use Demon Drop as precedent. Older rides still have useful lives. To everyone here saying it is just being demolished, you actually don't know that for sure either. None of us do. At least those of us talking here about it.

Joe

I don't think anyone has claimed that it is for sure headed to the scrap heap, just that the evidence points to that as the most likely outcome.

To my knowledge, Demon Drop did not have the structural defects WT had/has, and wasn't nearly as costly to operate, so it's not a great comparison. Though to be fair, both are relatively unpopular rides that use outdated technology, so in that sense there is some precedent I suppose.

But if I were a betting man, I sure wouldn't put my money on it going anywhere but the scrap heap and spare parts bins.

Brandon

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service