Virus Impact on CP

I doubt the vast majority of the staff is even in the country or state right now. Correct me if I'm wrong. And is CF/CP going to pay the employees that do show up for the days they would be working in May/June? I doubt it. If they are I may just apply ;) (I understand what you meant, train and leave till open)

Unlike Disney or year round parks, when they open most of the workforce will just come back. The more I think about it nothing is really working in the parks favor here. So if and when they open up for this season I'll be incredibly curious how it's pulled off.

Staffing is tough enough during "Normal" times.

Çp4€và04 said:

I doubt the vast majority of the staff is even in the country or state right now. Correct me if I'm wrong. And is CF/CP going to pay the employees that do show up for the days they would be working in May/June? I doubt it. If they are I may just apply ;) (I understand what you meant, train and leave till open)

Unlike Disney or year round parks, when they open most of the workforce will just come back. The more I think about it nothing is really working in the parks favor here. So if and when they open up for this season I'll be incredibly curious how it's pulled off.

Staffing is tough enough during "Normal" times.

Don't know what to tell you other than I've been told that managers have already contacted employees telling them to come or not on their scheduled first day (Most are near end of April). And preparing orientation as planned.

Seems like they're trying to get all essential employees and fast track opening ASAP. It's going to be quite a sight to see how they pull it off considering a majority of staff are national or international.

Remember that as soon as the State will allow the park to resume internal operations you can pretty much bet that they will do so, and they will start as many people as they can to make it happen...they've already lost almost a month in pre-season preparation, and when they get to the point where they can even think about starting operations, they're going to need all the help they can get just to get to the point where they can open the gates. We've all been there in seasons where it seemed nothing was ready to go in the first few weeks? And that's *without* an unexpected off-season work stoppage!

Finally, on the political side of things, I feel I need to point out something important: Most of the response to this thing isn't, and shouldn't be, the President's call, nor should most of it be handled on the Federal level. Yes, there is a certain 'muddling' of the response to this virus outbreak in the US, because most of the response has been on the State, and even (I'm looking at you, Florida...) on the local level. It might not be the most efficient way to do things, but by design of this Nation, that's legally and technically the way it's supposed to be. That means West Virginia doesn't need to respond the same way that New York does; it means Ohio may be getting the infections under control quicker than some other states; and it means that the President's calls for things to get back to normal sooner rather than later actually mean pretty much nothing so long as the Governors and Mayors are calling the shots. The United States of America may be a United nation, but it is a Nation made up of separate, free and independent States. That's less meaningful today than it was a couple hundred years ago, but it is still meaningful.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

I disagree, Dave. Disease doesn't respect borders or sovereignty. States can not restrict movement between them, compel industry outside, coordinate supply chains or consistently compile data that makes for meaningful decision making. This is by definition an interstate problem. If this were not the case, there wouldn't be a CDC at all (neutered as it may be).

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Except for Hawaii, I suppose...I presume you've heard about what they're trying. But then you can't drive there.

Note I am not talking about what is best from a technical or medical perspective; I am talking about the design of our Constitutional Republic. Inefficient as it is, I personally think it carries enough benefits that it should be protected. Especially in an era of Presidents (at least three in a row now) who would much prefer broader Federal authority.

And that's my political statement for the day.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

/X\ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXX\ /X\ /X\_ _ /X\__ _ _____
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\_/XXXXX\_/XXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\__/XXXXXX

Inflexible ideology is the enemy of practicality, and sometimes morality. The US has from its beginning embraced federalism when it's politically convenient and shunned it when it was not. The Civil War is a stunning example of that. I think we can all agree that responding with "states' rights!" when states wanted to own human beings was inappropriate, to say the least.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff said:

I disagree, Dave. Disease doesn't respect borders or sovereignty. States can not restrict movement between them, compel industry outside, coordinate supply chains or consistently compile data that makes for meaningful decision making. This is by definition an interstate problem. If this were not the case, there wouldn't be a CDC at all (neutered as it may be).

This literally this. The debate on Federal Powers is something that will go on till the end of time or whatever. But like waging war this pandemic is exactly what the powers of the federal govt are for. States are going to naturally act in their own self interest, while the Fed will lean towards national interest.

I'm confused about Florida. The governor is asking for a quarantine of people flying in from NY while he has kept the state and beaches open? Also the only reason some beaches are closed is because the Mayors of counties can enforce something different? Did DeSantis miss the memo about 3 weeks ago that this isn't a hoax anymore?

On a lighter note it was a beautiful day in Rochester NY, well most of it. Sun shining, it was warm and the air was fresh. For a time I almost got fooled that everything is okay.

Maybe brains are wired differently where the sun shines most of the time. Spending months closed in is nothing new to folks in the north. I would say "Social distancing" is a more natural concept to those that live through winter every year. Onward to another week. Be safe, hug those you love and take in the beauty this little rock floating around a big old ball of fire has to offer :)

Last edited by Çp4€và04,

I’m retired. When people ask how I’m holding up I have to admit to them that life isn’t really all that different from what I was doing before. Especially through the winter.
I’m also 65 and would place myself in the high risk category so I’m home. My partner has made the trips to the store and to carry out. We’re extra careful, talking to good neighbors from porch to sidewalk or over the fence.
In our neighborhood the yards are small if they exist at all. We have a beautiful park about 2 blocks away and it would be the perfect place for a stroll. The rec center is closed and so are the basketball and tennis courts. The last couple of days have been nice and that park is full. People are everywhere, 3 and 4 across on the walks, talking close to each other. They’re walking their dogs and gathering in groups to visit. I see the need to socialize, but aren’t these people paying attention? I’ve decided not to take in that kind of excercise.
We’re “lucky” to be in Ohio, where we have a governor who’s been smarter than he usually seems, and Dr Amy Acton, the Director of our state’s Department of Health who is a rock star. They brief us every afternoon. (We call it Wine with DeWine) and they are honest and appropriate with us. We have cases and deaths and those numbers are increasing like everywhere. But not like New York, Seattle, or even Detroit, the latest city to suffer badly. Our hospitals aren’t overwhelmed (yet) and our curve seems to be flattening somewhat.
I see shots of a deserted Manhattan and compare it to Columbus, where at a glance it seems like business as usual. My concern is that we have every opportunity to do the right thing and get past this but not everyone is being a good citizen. It may take high numbers and a total lockdown to get people to get it. My plan is to stay home, if it takes the rest of the year, and hope for the best for everyone else.

We have our own clothing line. There are a lot of variations, but it's definitely been Wine with Dewine in our house since day one.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

You need one that says "Snack'n with Acton"

MaverickLaunch said:

Jeff said:

More evidence that can be objectively observed as lies and misinformation: Coronavirus Fact Check: Analyzing the Patterns in Trump's Falsehoods https://nyti.ms/2WPQ4OO

ohhhh, that’s weird, that you would (once again) cite The NY Times In your argument. I shall spend special time tomorrow, finally, pointing out their bad reporting, since you’ve asked so many times.

I may be late to this party. But here is a link from CNN reporting 33 false claims made by Trump. It's not NYT. ;) https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/politics/fact-check-trump-coronavirus-false-claims-march/index.html

But CNN is fake news and has low ratings, so that makes them wrong, right?

Çp4€và04 said:
I'm confused about Florida. The governor is asking for a quarantine of people flying in from NY while he has kept the state and beaches open? Also the only reason some beaches are closed is because the Mayors of counties can enforce something different?

DeSantis is a moron. Does that clear it up?

I have lost track, what is the hierarchy - dick, moron, asshat?

None of those are mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the clarification.

There are times when we can, and should, act as 50 individual states. And, there are times when we should act as one nation. Ohio didn't go to war with Germany...the United States did. This response to this virus needs to be global in nature and, as such, our country needs to address it in a unified, logistical manner. Having 50 states doing 50 different things will only prolong this disaster.

If FEMA's role right now isn't a national response to this then I don't know what the hell we have FEMA for. The idea that every state should just be going their own thing is absolutely preposterous given what we are facing.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

Ohio schools closure extended until May 1st now. No real surprise there.

Thabto said:

Yellow is what it would be like had we just kept doing business as usual and the blue is the trend with what we are doing now.

And unless I'm missing something, that yellow curve will occur whenever things are allowed to return to normal, barring any huge seasonal effect.

Which is why I cannot see how Cedar Point, or any venue where more than a few dozen people gather, will be able to open before sometime mid/late next year, once we have achieved ~75% immunity.

Brandon

Virginia just enacted their Stay at Home order until June 10.

CP Coaster Top 10: 1. Steel Vengeance (40 rides to date) 2. Top Thrill Dragster (191 launches to date, 4 rollbacks) 3. Magnum XL 200 4. Millennium Force 5. Maverick 6. Raptor 7. GateKeeper 8. Valravn 9. Rougarou 10. Gemini

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service