Virus Impact on CP

Saw some post that some parks opened in Japan and were running every other row on coasters. However, just read cases are spiking in Tokyo so a stay in order has been issued. Will be an interesting case to watch and see if those parks close again.

What is the actual goal we have with this pandemic? I dont think it's possible to eradicate it as it's too contagious.Is all the social distancing just to ensure our health care doesnt get overwhelmed? Once we get out of "lockdown" there certainly would be a few cases remaining and we will be right at square one, correct?

^^so people stand adjacent to each other in a longer-than-normal line since they're at half capacity, but after waiting in that line then they are slightly distanced from each other for the few minutes they're on the ride? Seems like an interesting strategy.

380 MF laps
Smoking Area Drone Pilot

CorpMouse, yes the current strategy is to not overwhelm the healthcare system and save lives. Most are going to get infected no matter what we do, but if you get sick, need intensive care and can get it there is a chance for survival. If you can’t get intensive care you will die.

This is why some/many of us are so frustrated that an all out Manhattan Project/WWll Liberty Ship effort is not being made to get the system ramped up as fast as possible.

Dvo, yeah I just don’t see how parks can operate safely to any degree. If the guests are limited to allow for the distancing it would be like a dead day, and the current business model does not work if all the operating days are dead. Just working numbers but if season attendance were normally 3M, what would it take to operate at an acceptable level of risk, 500K, 200K? I don’t know. Can the park even operate in the black with a modest 25% reduction in attendance?

Last edited by Cargo Shorts,

It's bigger than this disease. People will die because of Covid-19 but not by Covid-19. It's already happening. New York hospitals are delaying treatments for things like cancer because there's no room and the risk of exposing those patients is high. If there are no beds, what do you do with a heart attack patient? My wife suffers from extreme migraines, and about once a year, we have to take her to the ER to break it. It's not fatal, but there's no way we can take her in for treatment if the hospital is at capacity.

We don't have a plan. It's not that we can't create one, it's that we don't have leadership capable of doing it. https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/coronavirus-is-it-too-much-...tual-plan/

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Well said Jeff. I never thought I'd be saying this. But I'm glad we went through our families recent cancer issue from Oct 2018 - July 2019.

I'd be so paranoid and off my rocker (even more than I was) if we had to deal with that right now with everything else going on right now.

Last edited by Red Garter Rob,

June 11th, 2001 - Gemini 100
VertiGo Rides - 82
R.I.P. Fright Zone, and Cyrus along with it.

Jeff said:

There is no science and there are no experts giving Trump credit for anything.

Another entirely false statement. It's hard to take the rest of your argument seriously when you make incorrect blanket statements like this one.

This sounds like your claim about the NYT telling lies. You weren't able to back that one up either. So again, where are the experts and scientific backing for anything Trump has done?

The federal government has no clear plan to mitigate the pandemic. That's a fact.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Here Jeff (and other readers), here's an interesting article from the Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/trumps-lies-about-coronavirus/608647/

I see that as of this afternoon Disney World has updated their closure status to "Until Further Notice". That's probably a harbinger of things to come for the rest of the amusement/theme park industry.

There is no risk of live virus on items that left China that long ago they say. Maybe this country will start buying American products again.

Until further notice probably just makes more sense rather than try to post tentative reopen dates and keep changing it.

Here is the projections shown at Governor DeWine's press conference today. Scroll to the bottom. Yellow is what it would be like had we just kept doing business as usual and the blue is the trend with what we are doing now.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

More evidence that can be objectively observed as lies and misinformation: Coronavirus Fact Check: Analyzing the Patterns in Trump's Falsehoods https://nyti.ms/2WPQ4OO

Hey there, everybody. So I went ahead and booked my trip for the tail end of June. The (very nice) lady I booked over the phone with said that should things not be a-go by then, I'd have the option to either move my date forward or cancel, so I decided to chance it.

I have no idea what's going to happen. It would be a terrible shame if this year of all years was cancelled, but so much other stuff has (understandably) been by now it wouldn't shock me. (RIP the NHL season. Just when the Jackets were getting their **** together, too...)

Proud 5th Liner and CP fan since 1986.

Jeff said:

More evidence that can be objectively observed as lies and misinformation: Coronavirus Fact Check: Analyzing the Patterns in Trump's Falsehoods https://nyti.ms/2WPQ4OO

ohhhh, that’s weird, that you would (once again) cite The NY Times In your argument. I shall spend special time tomorrow, finally, pointing out their bad reporting, since you’ve asked so many times.

Jeff said:

So again, where are the experts and scientific backing for anything Trump has done?

I think whatever side of the aisle you are on, you can agree that Fauci and Birx are experts, the former of which has been dealing with this since Reagan was president. So when you say “no experts”, that’s where I call BS. You might not agree with them, but they are vastly more qualifier than you or I on this subject. Which is why I called out your false post.

Do you mean the Fauci who looks like his head is going to fly off every time it’s Trump’s turn to speak? The one who is actually speaking honestly to the people of this country with actual truths rather than pandering to a certain segment with reassuring falsehoods? The one who is actually NOT having his first day at the rodeo? The one who said “You don’t make the timeline- the virus makes the timeline?” The one who’s been quoted as saying that he has to pull the president aside after every ad lib filled briefing in order to bring him back to references that actually align with facts? The only one in that little on-air group that recognizes the fact that they’re not setting a good example or keeping safe by standing so freaking close together? (“I keep saying is there any way we can get a video press conference. Thus far no...I’m going to keep pushing”)

That one?

Btw, I went nowhere near the NYT for that info.

It makes me heartsick to see our “leader” (loose air quotes) assure the nation that by Easter Sunday we’ll all be up and running (“it’s a beautiful time...it’s a beautiful day”) in what I saw as a clear attempt to pander to his religious right followers when what he ought to be doing is following Dr. Fauci’s advice and reassuring the nation in different ways. And admitting when there’s not a lot of reassuring to be done right now.
Dr. Fauci’s best quote when asked how he’s holding up “To my knowledge I haven’t been fired”. He seems to also carry the burden of walking on tip toes around a volatile boss when he’d be best to concentrate his time and energy on things that really matter.

Jeff said:

What do see going on with Cedar Fair? I am seeing a 2 to 4 month estimate from mainstream sources as the virus goes.

MaverickLaunch said:

Jeff said:

ohhhh, that’s weird, that you would (once again) cite The NY Times In your argument. I shall spend special time tomorrow, finally, pointing out their bad reporting, since you’ve asked so many times.

Go ahead... click that link and tell me which fact checks are incorrect. The answer is zero, because your boy is a liar. Proving that isn't bias. It's objective fact. The evidence is real.

Sollybeast said:

Hey there, everybody. So I went ahead and booked my trip for the tail end of June. The (very nice) lady I booked over the phone with said that should things not be a-go by then, I'd have the option to either move my date forward or cancel, so I decided to chance it.

I have no idea what's going to happen. It would be a terrible shame if this year of all years was cancelled, but so much other stuff has (understandably) been by now it wouldn't shock me. (RIP the NHL season. Just when the Jackets were getting their **** together, too...)

Cedar Point is still telling a lot of their staff to show up in april/may even due to the delay opening. They want them trained so they can open the park as soon as possible.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service