Steel Vengeance

The ride is running so they can promote it in whatever capacity they want. They're not deceiving the public in any way by not mentioning it's current status of operation.

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

A wait like no other?

(And that’s just to get a cup of soda)

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

Hey all, I’m not a mod on this forum, but all to frequently I have noticed many people quoting the ENTIRE post from the person above them. It isn’t necessary unless you’re quoting a portion of it. Just keep the conversation flowing.

Back on topic. I agree that there is no reason the park SHOULD’NT advertise the ride still. It doesn’t matter what capacity it is operating at, ITS STILL OPEN!

Last edited by TwistedWicker77,

I am going to disagree. The website still states "Riders per Hour: 1,200" and they have had plenty of time to fix that.

Attendance of 3.5 million is about 25,000 per day. A holiday weekend should be above average. The ride can't give 5,000 rides per day right now. If you advertise for this ride specifically and it works, people coming for the ride will literally not be able to ride.

Trying to drive up attendance for a specific ride that cannot handle it is like a used car lot that advertises one great deal and then tells everyone it just sold and they have nothing similar. You may not end up in court but it is not respectable.

There's a ton of variables you don't consider with your logic concerning the rides theoretical capacity. You assume the ride would function perfectly even with 3 trains or that weather isn't a factor. There are scenarios other than this current hiccup that would prevent the ride from running at full capacity or not running at all. So then should the park not bother promoting the ride? Or promote the ride as it is now? Essentially promoting a negative image of the ride and the park as a whole.

The park promoting the ride is just one part of their vast marketing strategy. I've seen far more promotion for various events and other summer related things besides Steel Vengeance. It's not the only thing they're about.

Also, not every single human being going through the gates is there specifically for Steel Vengeance. And while going there specifically to ride it and not getting to is understandably upsetting, there are a lot of reasons that could be besides its current capacity. Is it the parks fault for still promoting the ride?

Last edited by TTD 120mph,

Ever since I can remember at every park I've been to there was always the possibilities that the new ride would be down for maintenance , weather, overheating, needing cleaned, you name it. I say better that one train is running than none at all. As frustrating as it has been; I can look back and laugh about waiting in line an hour only to have a new coaster break down. It happened with Magnum, Disaster Transport, Maverick, and every year every day for Dragster. That is why there are tons of other awesome rides.

Wznm

I think that everyone understands the ride can go down. But when they probably expect 35K+ and if they already know that under the best case scenario about 7 out of 8 people cannot ride, I think they are crossing the line from unforeseen circumstance to bait and switch. Especially when that ride is the specific bait they use.

Dude, it doesn’t matter. The ride is still operating. I don’t understand why people aren’t seeing this. You would more than likely pitch a bigger fit if the ride was closed.

Also, why is everybody so stressed about these other trains? Wicked Twister has always had 1 train, and wait times got up to 3-4 hours in 2002 for it. And even with all of it’s mechanical down time at it’s opening, guess what....THEY STILL MARKETED IT as much as they could at the time because they can! (Granted, the use of social media platforms and internet overall were not as prominent as they are now).

I have been to the park 4 times so far this year and have waited no more than an hour and a half for SV (Yes, even when the sign says 3 hours). Understand that CP can market and advertise whatever they darn well please, when it’s been obvious that these issues are an RMC (maybe even IOE) issue. Heck, for all we know, the park can open with all 3 trains tomorrow morning and be ready to go for early entry. Seriously, relax.

^ Clearly it does matter to many. This is a freaking brake problem on the stations block. How was this not found during testing phase. I wonder if the park is upset with RMC. Its like buying a new car, but can only drive it 3 mi/day. RMC should get the Intamin treatment....They design one hell of a ride, but plagued with major reliability/operating problems..Its trending that way, you can't deny it.

Even the Cle Plain Dealer sent out a writer for info on the fix. They couldnt even get an answer. That article presented absolutely no insight. It just recycled old info.and once gain Tony's lips remain sealed.

Normal downtime due to X-variable is a given. And I can see if it was an easy fix but If they know the ride will be at 1/3 of normal opps for over half the season, they should clearly state that on any promotional video. Just seems like the right thing to do.

Last edited by PghCSTRfan,

I actually think they will run 2 or 3 trains this weekend which is why I posted. I don't think Cedar Point would intentionally drive more traffic to a ride that can't handle it.

It's easy for people who can go to the park 4 times already to forgive anything the park does. Try betting a grand that the park can get old technology to work and losing. It might be more annoying than the incorrect homophone.

Dragster was closed more than it was open it’s fi year, and Cedar Point still went with Intamin for Maverick. Maverick opened a few weeks late, and Cedar Point still went with Intamin for Shoot the Rapids. Most new rides have issues when they first open. Cedar Point is fully doing the right thing advertising the ride now. 1). The more times people hear about the ride, the more they will want to get there some time this season. And they will get it fixed at some point. 2). For those that do go just to ride Steel Vengeance, for the most part, they will. Maybe not as many times as they would like, but they can still get on it.
Also, Cedar Point has been very forthcoming with the current state of the ride. They are not advertising when the fix will be completed, but I suspect this is mostly expectations in case they don’t finish the repair when they think they will.

Last edited by 0g,

PghCSTRfan said:
^ Clearly it does matter to many. This is a freaking brake problem on the stations block. How was this not found during testing phase. I wonder if the park is upset with RMC. Its like buying a new car, but can only drive it 3 mi/day. RMC should get the Intamin treatment....They design one hell of a ride, but plagued with major reliability/operating problems..Its trending that way, you can't deny it.

Even the Cle Plain Dealer sent out a writer for info on the fix. They couldnt even get an answer. That article presented absolutely no insight. It just recycled old info.and once gain Tony's lips remain sealed.

Normal downtime due to X-variable is a given. And I can see if it was an easy fix but If they know the ride will be at 1/3 of normal opps for over half the season, they should clearly state that on any promotional video. Just seems like the right thing to do.

1) Intamin rides have killed people. This is nothing like some of the problems that have plagued them
2) Why would Tony talk about something he either doesn’t have the answer to or doesn’t want the public to know? His comments were professional and directly in line with how PR statements generally go in any field.
3) Isn’t this technically a version of a downtime because of X variable? The variable just happens to have been a minor collision that the public witnessed. Had the train bump occured during preseason cycling or before park open one day, we would never have known it occured since there was essentially no damage. And the ride is open every day. If this was a Six Flags park, all we would be saying is that “ugh, they can’t even run multiple trains on their brand new ride!”

The thought that they would mention this on a promotional video is kind of silly. After they realized the ride would be at one train operation indefinitely, Tony released a very professionally written notice on the website, they offered to refund pre purchased Fastlane+ passes, and detailed the process of boarding passes on days where crowds may warrant it. None of that was necessary, yet they did it.

As has been stated above, those coming for a multi day Cedar Point resort stay are coming regardless of Steel Vengeance. The coaster community is more than aware of the situation, so if Steel Vengeance is a priority for you, plan accordingly. The average park goer will wait in a 2-3 hour queue for the new ride and think nothing of it because it is the new ride. They may notice one train ops, but they have likely seen the news and will quickly forget it. I waited 4 hours on Opening Day because it was Opening Day (and I’m clearly insane). There is no need to re-market the 2018 park experience because the big new ride is running at a lower hourly capacity than it is capable.

^ someone who gets it...

And going back to the question “how was this not found during the testing phase?” The same exact reason why Dragster, Maverick, Millennium Force, Raptor, Magnum, etc. all had bugs to work out during their inaugural year! This is a no brainer, but when new moving parts and equipment that haven’t yet handled the load it is intended to is working day in and day out, mechanical problems will occur! Why is this a surprise to some?

Once again, the ride is running, just not to the capacity that it is intended for yet. I strongly believe Tony is doing his job (marketing the ride and trying to bring people into the park) while RMC is going their job (working at nights to get the ride up and running as soon as possible) If people specifically go to Cedar Point JUST for SV, they will wait in the line and go home. As mentioned above, that is hardly ever the case.

Lastly, the park doesn’t owe me, you, or anybody an explanation as to why the issue isn’t fixed yet. The statement has been made that it will continue to operate with 1 train until further notice. Obviously that notice hasn’t been given yet.

That escalated quickly....

Multi-train operation is imminent. Life is good.

I waited two and a half hours for Mantis on my first trip to Cedar Point. I remember thinking, "maybe Cedar Point isn't as great as I thought it would be". Thankfully, after 3 hours, I got on Dragster and it blew me away. These posted wait times for Steel Vengeance don't bother me much.

Last edited by Renegade,

Front Seat Rider said:
I actually think they will run 2 or 3 trains this weekend which is why I posted. I don't think Cedar Point would intentionally drive more traffic to a ride that can't handle it.

That’s the funniest thing I’ve read ever.

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

While it's only half the height of Steel Vengeance, I did just ride Storm Chaser 7 times in 45 minutes...yes, it is Saturday of Memorial Weekend...and no Fast Lane needed. This ride is almost as insane as SV. Plus, 2 inch gap between lap bar and my legs.

Last edited by Zoug68,

Today we boarded the last train car of CPLE RR in Frontier Town. Directly to the left of us was a pallet of parts that appeared as though they were brake parts for Steel Vengeance. They weren't there yesterday. Parts have arrived!

PghCSTRfan said:

This is a freaking brake problem on the stations block. How was this not found during testing phase. I wonder if the park is upset with RMC.

Seriously? Did you read this before you posted it, or are you being intentionally hysterical?

Maverick since '99

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service