Next Defunct Attractions

Are you suggesting they built a completely redundant road for no reason?

Just because the Causeway was proposed before it was actually built doesn't demonstrate that increased traffic wasn't the motivation. The only reason it wasn't built when initially proposed was because they couldn't come up with the money in 1929. Because, you know, Great Depression.

Legislation was approved for the causeway and property was acquired. Finances halted the project until later.

Source

In 1957, Cedar Point constructed a new road into the park to alleviate the ever-increasing traffic and traffic jams going into the park via the Chaussee.

Source

Brandon

In the category of Defunt Attractions, Cleveland.com just posted a story & video links of the last of the water slides being removed from Geauga Lake. Here comes retail development.

Ban cars on all roads! Traffic detracts from property value!

Seriously. Never thought I’d see such heated discussion on PointBuzz about the ethics of driving on a road. Drive on the Chaussee if you want to, until the park or the residents ever feel like restricting access. Until then, no one is in the wrong for driving on it, and no one is holier than thou for not driving on it.

Still better than drone morality discussion.

Also, I’m in the group who thinks Corkscrew isn’t ever going anywhere. It’ll probably outlive most of us here. It’ll get new trains before it ever gets raised.

Last edited by CPVet,

jimmyburke said:

In the category of Defunt Attractions, Cleveland.com just posted a story & video links of the last of the water slides being removed from Geauga Lake. Here comes retail development.

Because the last ten years have seen tons of retail development in the area?

Maverick since '99

Exactly! Seems like someone is drinking the Koolaid blame game and comical bs spewed out by the Geauga Lake worshipers. There's been a whopping 3 places built since 2007 that weren't already built or under construction by then.

Last edited by MichaelB,

I have no vested interest in Geauga Lake, I don't care what they do out there with the property. Bainbridge is a little out of my affordability range. I think I remember a Ford dealer locating there and maybe a Meijers that sells kool-aid.

I miss Geauga Lake, I miss Wildwater Kingdom but they are gone and that's that. Just like the house my grandpa built that was in the way of developing I-480, just my other grandparents' house that was bought out for airport expansion and like the middle school I attended will be soon gone for replacement and a road widening project. I seriously wonder if some of the people on the GL page have never lost a place before in their lives. They aren't coping very well. Since the park is just plain gone I don't think it matters what happens to the property. If I lived down the street maybe I might care more.

Ford dealer yes, they already have bought some land. Meijer is still up in the air.

I laugh at those who boycott all Cedar Fair parks because they "destroyed Geauga Lake out of pure greed".

The way I see it I had 2 parks an hours drive away and I'm not going to stop going to the one left just because the company that owns it closed the other park. That would leave me with no parks. what good would that do me? Boy, I sure would be showing them...

Most of the people I know who are boycotting are people that worked at GL/SFO/SFWoA/GL and the place was an established part of their lives.

Maverick since '99

UPDATE! I drove past Chaussee on Rt. 6 earlier, it had a sign prohibitting access. "Road Closed Ahead".

I haven't been this way in a few months, not sure if it is just because of drifting snow last night or if the sign has been there for some time, or some other infrastructure reason. Or..... they are permanently restricting access going forward. Hey, changes happen and we all must adapt, like the Chief Wahoo thing.

Keep the Chief !!!

Games - 1989 - Beanbag Toss/Break-a-plate

Too late to keep the Chief, they are fazing him out. Next, they will likely change the nickname from Indians to something generic like "Charge" or "Fever" or "Force". I could live with Force.

The Chaussee is closed due to water main replacement.

Which is ironic because they changed the name from the Spiders to the Indians because the face of their franchise was an American Indian. But if the name has to change, Spiders would have to be the name.

CP Top 5: 1) Steel Vengeance 2) Maverick 3) Magnum 4) Raptor 5) Millennium

Dolan has already said that that a name change is out of the question, the Indians will be called the Indians, the removal of Chief Wahoo will not result in a name change.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

jimmyburke said:

Too late to keep the Chief, they are fazing him out. Next, they will likely change the nickname from Indians to something generic like "Charge" or "Fever" or "Force". I could live with Force.

It'd be weird to see them bring that name to Cleveland's baseball team. I immediately think of the former soccer team, Cleveland Force.

I hate corkscrew b/c it is really hard on my back and shoulders. I also cannot ride it without jarring my jaw out of the way as not to slam it against the shoulder restraint. My friend gets a headache from it too.....I will not miss corkscrew anytime soon.

Last edited by Miss_Maverick07,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service