Coming in 2018: An expanded beach boardwalk

It likely was high on his list until it was made known how much it would cost. Personally I don't think its as easy as building a new off-point location and then tearing down Cedars. As it stands now Cedars houses a lot of employees, easily over 500 as there are many dorm rooms. I don't believe there is enough room in the current footprint of the off-point housing block that could handle a building large enough for all those misplaced employees. Therefore another older housing unit (Bayside or Commons Apartments) would also have to come down giving up space for a much larger dorm style unit to be built that would accommodate both the amount from Cedars and the other building. That would be enough to shift the project to the back burner and get more life out of Cedars.

Well, for whatever reason, there’s clearly no emergency as far as Cedars goes. And I have a soft spot for the place, so as far as I’m concerned it can stay there forever.

Someone, somewhere here said there’s not enough room for a new hotel in the Cedars location. I say poppycock- a building the size of a typical HI Express could fit there just fine. Or are my eyes deceiving me?
Anyway, it makes sense to me that the dorm situation would have to be solved on the mainland side before Cedars could come down. And that site would be dedicated to the guest experience rather than the employees’.

Sadly enough, Cedars is the place everybody wanted to stay at this year. Conditions of living and animalistic behavior from those staying at Commons have become too much. I really hope they focus on employee living very soon. Raise the whole Commons yard and start from scratch.

^Wouldn't be animalistic if it didn't feel like a prison. I'm surprised it took Ouimet a few years to remove the chain link + razor wire from the lot...

Someday it'll be a bit better...I hope so.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

What everyone seems to forget about the Cedars site is that Perimeter rd still runs through that area. It isn't like the whole space will be included into the park. If/when it does get razed they will likely straighten the road, they aren't going to create two 90 degree turns right after each other. That would create even more traffic issues, especially if you consider that the Marina gate was just redone and likely not being removed/replaced any time soon. Another challenge is that on the north end of the space is the railroad maintenance yard, The only access into this area would be from the Luminosity Grandstand. It would give them some extra space but not a lot, and a portion would and should go to marina parking which is strapped on that side.

Its still going to happen at some point but not until that building is almost falling apart, and it isn't going to add as much space as most people seem to think.

I’ve always felt the architectural design of Cedars is fascinating to see as well. (Aside from the condition!) The wide hallways in each wing along with the screened in walkways connecting each one provide quite a breeze and good lighting. Walking around in the late afternoon with a bay breeze and sunlight is quite pleasant.

I believe it might be the 2nd oldest structure on point as well behind the lighthouse. Coliseum was 1906. White house hotel was earlier, which parts was renovated into Cedars.

That said, still wouldn’t want to live there!

Gemini 100- 6/11/01

tedders55 said:
What everyone seems to forget about the Cedars site is that Perimeter rd still runs through that area. It isn't like the whole space will be included into the park. If/when it does get razed they will likely straighten the road, they aren't going to create two 90 degree turns right after each other.

Its still going to happen at some point but not until that building is almost falling apart, and it isn't going to add as much space as most people seem to think.

Because nothing is quite as impressive pulling into the ‘Crown Jewel’ as maneuvering around cedars/train yard now with a $350,000 45’ RV trying not to knock down the decrepit structure as it stands now.
It is falling apart and the road already needs to be rerouted. Just do it already, it looks like crap and is a horrible first impression when driving into the park.

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

TwistedWicker77 said:

Sadly enough, Cedars is the place everybody wanted to stay at this year. Conditions of living and animalistic behavior from those staying at Commons have become too much. I really hope they focus on employee living very soon. Raise the whole Commons yard and start from scratch.

This. Every season upon processing in I have eagerly waited for Cedars to open, and dreaded moving back to commons for weekends. The atmosphere of Cedars is totally different, the people who live there are the people who want to work, instead of partying with a side of work. Sure it may be 5x as old as I am, but you can't beat walking across the street to work

RCMAC said:

Someone, somewhere here said there’s not enough room for a new hotel in the Cedars location. I say poppycock- a building the size of a typical HI Express could fit there just fine. Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Is there enough room for a hotel? Yes, there is in the existing Cedars footprint, but where are you going to park everyone's car? There isn't enough parking there for the existing dock holders during the summer, nevertheless hotel guest parking.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Not to mention the building codes have changed ever so slightly in the twelve decades since it was built. Modern set back regulations, parking minimums and emergency access would eat up a good portion of the space. Rerouting perimeter road might trigger something requiring it to be widened as well; not sure how Ohio treats repair vs. rebuilding or how they handle grandfathering their codes.

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

^ I'm sure that figures into a lot of what is and isn't touched also. Sometimes you make repairs to the existing less than ideal structure because replacement opens up a can of worms. I've sunk money into a small, old barn for that reason. If I had to build a new one I'm pretty sure I couldn't get a permit to put it in the same place it is right now. I've heard Cedars is bad on the inside but I don't really think of it as an eyesore. I like old buildings.

tedders55 said:

What everyone seems to forget about the Cedars site is that Perimeter rd still runs through that area.

This is correct and also why I don't think that land will ever be used for a new big ride like everyone wants it used for. When Cedars is removed I think Perimeter Road will bend slightly left at the current crosswalk and shoot straight to where the road bends by the backside of Cedars. The space to the left of the road will be additional parking for the Marina and the space to the right will just become more backstage space for the park.

DSShives said:
Is there enough room for a hotel? Yes, there is in the existing Cedars footprint, but where are you going to park everyone's car?

As I mentioned in another thread, you could easily park cars on the same plot of land that Cedars currently occupies. For me I would like to see a small, upscale boutique hotel built that would use more vertical space so you can watch the sunset over the bay from your balcony. Since a small hotel wouldn't require near the space Cedars uses, the rest of the unused land could be used for parking. Or use the first floor of the hotel. Or the Marina overflow lot. Or just make it valet since its boutique. Parking is always an issue at hotels but there are creative ways to overcome that problem. It's been happening for years at small beachside hotels.

We-o-we-oooo said:

Rerouting perimeter road might trigger something requiring it to be widened as well...

Over the years the road has been shifted along its route and also widened in spots. But I am curious if they would have to follow the same rules regarding road design that the state would follow since it is private property and not a public road.

Last edited by 99er,

All this discussion about space made me realize i didnt really understand how much area each major section takes up. I did this map and thought others might find it interesting as well. It is surprising to me that the Cedars area is actually so small relative to other areas.

https://ibb.co/jS1h5w

Games - 1989 - Beanbag Toss/Break-a-plate

Part of why I'm not sure I see the point of getting rid of Cedars. It's not like it would be an amazing space solution to anything.

To me, getting rid of the Cedars is about removing a structure in disrepair and an eyesore. I agree that land isn’t a good option to try and figure out how to incorporate it inside the park.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Ah, Cedars... A discussion that’s been going on for at least 40 years...

1974: Catering Slave for Interstate United
1975-77: Catering Manager for Cedar Point

I feel the best time for that discussion for the Park was when they talked about valravn. Since they sort of locked in some of the area around it now with the coaster there isn’t much room to maneuver. They could have opened up a larger portion before construction with all the free valravn land and cedars land but didn’t, so they probably have some plan otherwise.

First ride; Magnum 1994

Well it didn't take them long to take down the stadium....

https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/930421312639598595

Last edited by CPboy77,

Well everyone got their wish. It's gone.

It’s an Early Christmas present from CP.

Wishes do come true :)

Last edited by XS NightClub,

New for 2024- Wicked Twister Plus

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service