Coming in 2018: An expanded beach boardwalk

I declare B&M hyper starting by steel vengence rr crossing and going to a turn around over ss site. By I declare, I just mean really want.

First ride; Magnum 1994

I was thinking the same thing. I can see the worlds tallest B&M coaster bigger and better than Fury, starting somewhere by the island or Snake river falls and doing an 'out and back' all the way to the Sandcastle Suites site. I would see them incorporating this into or around a new hotel for added 'wow' factor. Along the same lines of what they did with Gatekeeper and Fury, as they developed the surroundings (entrances) to the parks when those rides were made. I always love the way Magnum seems to take you so far away from the park itself on a journey.
A new 150th Anniversary Worlds Best could really could take this to a whole new level.

It seems like a “stretch” to think the Sandcastle site would be used for anything other than accommodations. It’s on prime real estate and not close to existing park boundaries.

I feel like those camper sites will disappear very soon, though.

Maverick since '99

Scott C said:

I was thinking the same thing. I can see the worlds tallest B&M coaster bigger and better than Fury, starting somewhere by the island or Snake river falls and doing an 'out and back' all the way to the Sandcastle Suites site.

I don't think that is entirely out of the question. I know there have been rumors about 500' and, with that height would need a pretty big run to bleed off speed (as is the case with both MF and Magnum). But, having a monorail run through your hotel (aka Disney) is a lot different than having a roller coaster speeding through or past your hotel every 3 minutes all day long. I'm not sure that would be real enjoyable for guests.

"You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world...but it requires people to make the dreams a reality."

-Walt Disney

If one thing is consistent, it's that for 20 years here people have been finding clever ways to make up for Cedar Point running out of space, even though the basic park footprint hasn't changed since the 80's.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Jeff said:

If one thing is consistent, it's that for 20 years here people have been finding clever ways to make up for Cedar Point running out of space, even though the basic park footprint hasn't changed since the 80's.

Not sure if you're sarcastically poking at people who think the park needs more space yet they always have brought in new attractions with the space they have or if that's a serious comment that people have come up with creative ways they could implement to maximize use of the space they have?

Last edited by MichaelB,

I read it as “everyone suggests expanding the park, but the park has done fine without.”

Maverick since '99

There is such a thing as to big, My first trip up with the boys two years ago for about 6-7 hours we never made it past Coasters. It was a lot to take in.

^It's also a minor part of the reason SIX's Geauga Lake failed.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I remember my dad used to say, years and years ago, that you don't have time in one day to truly do everything at Cedar Point you would need more time. That was back in the 90s so unless it's part of the destination park/resort plan I don't know that there's any reason to make the park bigger. Of course if you can't do it all in one day that's a reason to stay several days...at a resort affiliated with the park...

I got to thinking....you know what would look really good in the former AWE stadium spot by the beach, take up a small footprint, and fit right in with the need for a family coaster AND be close to Planet Snoopy? A wild mouse coaster like Coast Rider at Knotts Berry Farm. CP make it happen! Just my 2c.

If you're smart about the day you go, it's easy to do it all in one day.

All what? All rides, shows and attractions? Bet not.

And those mice are fun, if they’re not braked to death. But they always are.

All the rides and shows I want to do. Which consists of most of the coasters, multiple times, and I like to catch at least two shows. A complete day to me is at least two or three rides on Millennium, Maverick, Gemini, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn, Dragster, Blue Streak, and Dodgems, a couple shows, some time at the animal barn, and weather permitting a water ride or two. Every day I went with the intention of getting all that done this year and in past years I had no problem getting that done and would usually be ready to go home by 6pm-7pm. If I wanted to do more, I easily could but I just don't really want to. I understand not everyone has the flexibility to go on days that all that can happen and doing a Fri-Sat or Sat-Sun is necessary, but for those who can it is isn't that hard.

Sounds like a nice day.
But it’s not “all” by any stretch of the imagination.

All the rides and shows you as an individual want to see and do is not ALL the rides and shows that the park has to offer. For a family of four or more with different interests and ages who doesn't want to power walk from one attraction to the next like Clark Griswald "enjoying" the Grand Canyon it will take more than a day to truly see and do everything. That's why we get passes. I got tired of leaving after an open to close day having to tell my kids and myself that we'll do the things we missed on today's visit next year or not spending the amount of time doing something we wanted because we were in a rush to get to the next thing. I can remember as a kid being "done" at Geauga Lake by 7 but never at Cedar Point.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Ouimet made and put into motions plans for a 2nd gate, ala Disneyland/DCA for the 150th anniversary of Cedar Point. Rip out the parking lot, and there is your second gate. Move the parking to the mainland, throw a monorail in there, boom.

3rd gate.

What is behind this 2nd gate then? Another amusement park? I dont see the parking lot moving, cp is still just a seasonal amusement park with crowds that (mostly) match its size. The water also adds the greatest barrier to monorails and transport to off site parking lots.

First ride; Magnum 1994

The "move the parking lot" idea has been brought up plenty of times. And anybody who brings it up will instantly be made fun of.

Seriously, though, while the idea doesn't seem too bad at first, it would be massively expensive. Besides the cost of expanding the park over so many years, the monorail would have to be extremely reliable and high-capacity to handle moving morning crowds to the peninsula and back in the evening. Building a robust monorail system to the mainland, a new parking garage (with CP Sports Park on the airport site, the only option really is a garage), and ripping up the old lot would probably cost as much as several new coasters. Again, that's before the park would even have to pay to fill in the new land with attractions. That parking garage would also be rather hellish, considering the current lot sometimes has trouble handling a busy day. Also, in my opinion, a sign that CP's management doesn't see moving the lot as a plan in the next few decades is Gatekeeper. They really emphasized a "front gate statement", which would be either diminished or completely lost depending on what kind of stuff gets put in the current lot.

And CP could use its relatively small amount of blank space creatively. For an example of this taken to an extreme, look up Gröna Lund in Sweden. It's in Stockholm and is crammed in between water and the city, so they've basically built rides on top of each other.

Last edited by GigaG,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service