Besides Valravn(?) What Else for 2016?

Breakwater Cafe is adjacent to Sandcastle.

I'm a Marxist, of the Groucho sort.

Seeing Breakwater Cafe sitting dark for much of the day (outside of the breakfast buffet times) is a bit of a bummer. I remember how neat the place felt when it opened, which was admittedly a very long time ago now.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

Breakwater Cafe has such a beautiful location that has so much potential. They could turn it into a fun, beach bar and grill type place which would probably be fairly popular. Especially if it stayed open late at night with some entertainment.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Full disclosure, I've never actually eaten there. (If I'm going to Cedar Point, I'm not wasting money on food that doesn't involve french fries, chili and cheese sauce...)

So it seems like a TGI Friday's/Quaker Steak kind of place could do well, next to Sandcastle and within walking distance of many Lighthouse Point guests?

With all the other franchises that have come to the park in the last 10 years I assume they've taken a long, hard look at what could work in place of Breakwater Cafe. I guess they just haven't found something that makes sense back there yet. If there is a refurbishment of Sandcastle in the next few years I'd imagine the Breakwater situation will be addressed in some form or another.

In somewhat the same vein, I wonder why nothing has ever really happened with the old lighthouse building at Lighthouse Point (beyond storing furniture and whatnot) like a gift shop or small eatery. The park must feel that there isn't enough traffic from the cottages and campers to support something there during the day.

"Thank the Phoenicians!"

If they are going the franchise route with Breakwater, I would think a Margaritaville would be a great fit to give a tropical feel out by the lake. Should have lots of open air seating to take advantage of the location. Its a nice location overlooking the channel and out to the islands, but it really only serves people staying at Sandcastle and Lighthouse Point for the most part. I cant see too many people from the park walking back there.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

Yes, I agree with that Steve, that would be a great fit and something unique in the area. I think the closest Margaritaville to CP is in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I think just the people at Sandcastle and Lighthouse Point would be enough to support it, plus it would be a fairly easy walk over there after a visit to Soak City.

Part of the allure of the cabins / campsites, and even the suites to a certain extent, is that guests can save some money by bringing their own food. That savings can be used to justify paying the increased cost of the cabins which can be pretty expensive especially for a multi-day visit. That's not to say that guests wouldn't eat there at some point during their stay, but maybe Cedar Point figures that the capture rate wouldn't be high enough to justify a full-service restaurant.

I do agree with Pete it really is a beautiful location. Since Cedar Fair is interested in creating more premium product offerings maybe the Cafe could be incorporated into some sort of an all-inclusive package.

Last edited by jsmith7300,

I thought the one on 6 was the closest Margaritaville to Sandusky:

http://themargaritavilleonline.com/

Upside-down Fun House
Kris

I don't think that one's a part of the Margaritaville chain. I think it's an independent restaurant.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

It is an independent. Restaurants in the chain have Jimmy Buffett's name as part of the logo.

Yeah, the Sandusky Margaritaville is nothing at like a genuine Jimmy Buffett Margaritaville. They were there before Jimmy Buffett's chain opened so they can continue using the name. The Sandusky Margaritaville is a weird combination of Mexican restaurant and biker bar.

Last edited by Pete,

Well, when I think of Margaritaville the first things that pop into my mind are Motorcycles and Lasagna so I guess that theme makes perfect sense...

I changed my post, brain freeze - it's a strange combination of Mexican and bikers, not Italian and bikers. I was typing about Margaritaville but was thinking of the Boci Club in Sandusky, which is a strange combination of Italian Restaurant and disco.

OK, I've never been there before so when you mentioned it was a weird combination I was trying to figure that one out. Nothing says Margaritaville like a bunch of bikers drinking wine and eating Bruschetta. An Italian Disco is another interesting combination as well, I haven't been to many of those.

I tend to annoy traveling companions by insisting we drive into Sandusky via 6 (which apparently continues to carry the name Grand Army of the Republic Highway) and have considered stopping at Margaritaville now and again. Never have. Not sure yet whether being a strange combination of Mexican and bikers makes it more or less appealing.

If we're still discussing Breakwater Cafe, I would actually prefer for the setup to remain the way it is. It's one of the few quiet, relaxing sit-down breakfast locations at CP.

A Margaritaville where the Cedars currently stand is a whole different story. ;) Since that's one of the areas of interest in 2016, a nice seafood restaurant/bar would go great overlooking the water IMO.

^ Different than Bay Harbor?

A Margaritaville-type restaurant would be rather different than Bay harbor.

I'd love a Margaritaville, but "a nice seafood restaurant/bar would go great overlooking the water IMO" is exactly what Bay Harbor is.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service