King James Announcement 9/16

People are selfish sometimes. I'm still excited to hear what other Awesome things Cedar Point is doing. To some people, this announcement will really make a difference to them and that is awesome, so I think this announcement is a big announcement as well.

Last edited by DSRPUNK,

-Benn

LOL at "CP hyping this up" and/or "ruining my day again". It's an amazing announcement for a great foundation. Nobody hyped this up except for coaster fanatics. Guaranteed the tactics were intentional to make as much noise about the cause as possible, and they're having a little bit of a laugh at how nuts everyone went over some tweets. This is what you call "PR" and they nailed it.

Last edited by aaronpgh,

Bill02 said:
Did Jeff or Walt cross check IP addresses for Eternal Questioner and Point Guru? They are both about as off the wall as the other!

I welcome them to check as many IP addresses as they wish.

MeanStreakCoasterFreak said:
What an absolute disappointment this announcement is. I am getting sick of this false hope hype game. Thanks Cedar Point for ruining my day AGAIN.

I can't really put this any more gently... you must really suck at life.

Last edited by Jeff,

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Right? The park announced that they would clue us in on what their partnership with LJ would be like. They didn't say they would announce anything about a ride. They didn't hype up the announcement (a couple posts online hardly counts as hype). The only thing that results in someone's day being ruined or someone deciding not to renew passes is reading too much into what will be announced and when. Someone needs to get out more..

If people quit going to the park because of this, then that's less people that will be in line in front of me. If this announcement made them that upset, they shouldn't be going to the park in the first place.

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

Like I said in another thread... First class move by CP and Lebron James, but most of all... Thank you Lord for not letting CP rename one of it's existing coasters King James! LOL, this really has been a good day for Cedar Point and it's fans!

Cedar Point already said there will be multiple press releases on 2015's fate, and this was just another clue IMO! It told me what will not happen for 2015 and that's cool!

After being at the park last weekend and really taking a look, I gotta have this feeling like we're in for something unexpected?? Who knows? But this being my first year speculating CP's future online has been fun! Can't wait to see what happens next year and who's speculation was on POINT?

Last edited by WishfulThinker83,

Thabto said:
What happened to this thread? It was gone for a while.

Hopefully it was taken down for a while in hopes that some common sense would set in. I never get surprised anymore by peoples sense of entitlement. This was a great announcement that helps kids in need.

Steve Shives
First Cedar Point Visit - 1972
Dockholder-Cedar Point Marina

The speculation game can be fun if you let it remain a game. But if you truly will be upset or disappointed if any given speculation does not come true, I think you are asking for trouble.

Wow... If you can't fix stupid there are quite a few non-fixable folks posting in this thread after today's announcement.

And yes, anyone saying that today's announcement was an over-hyped let down, I am indeed referring to you in the above statement...

Increased charitable contributions / involvement from the Point is great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the selection of this particular foundation... I wish the park had of been able to independently select an organization to which to contribute (if they were going to allocate money for such) rather than being pressured into one merely because of a failed publicity stunt... That said, the LJFF mission seems good. I only hope the organization lives up to it in execution. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thrills Around the Corner!

^ I would say that a charity founded by one of the greatest athletes in the world is well managed and produces results. Look at their website, HUGE sponsorships and big-name brand endorsements.

As a public high school teacher in a high poverty area, I can tell you that these kind of programs make a HUGE difference in the lives of at risk youth. Ensuring a student graduates high school and leads a productive life is one of the most valuable things we can give our time and energy to. I am sure that there was no "pressure" by the LJF to do any of this.

Lebron stated he did not want the park naming a ride after him, which in my opinion is a very noble thing. He gets it. He wants to see at risk kids prosper, and if anything through resources at providing these kids and their families a day at the Point. This is BIGGER and BETTER than renaming a ride.

I think its a win for everyone.

I after reading a lot of these posts, I got to say, I think it's pretty pathetic for a lot of you to call people who were letdown "losers" and have "no life." God forbid some people were letdown they didn't get news about their favorite park and the new ride. While I agree Cedar Point absolutely didn't hype this annoucement, there was a hint of hype with the bigger and better tag and just the whole LeBron James, "King James" coaster name. So when we hear LeBron James annoucement with a bigger and better tag, of course there's a lot of speculation and excitement of what it is or maybe at the very least, find out what coaster would get that name. I got to say I was slightly letdown but not because I have no life or am a loser. That's ridiculous. I'm just excited to hear what we're getting. With that being said, I think it's a great cause and I'm glad CP is helping kids get to go who normally couldn't get to experience this amazing amusement park. But some of you who think your so above everyone else with your smug comments, like your so awesome and mature because you didn't get slightly disappointed, it's pathetic. We got a few keyboard heros here. It seems to me like a few of you are the real ones who might need to "get a life"

Let the blasting of me begin!

Last edited by SkyhawkRaptorXL-200,

Top 5: (1) Superman the Ride (2) Millennium Force (3) Maverick (4) Leviathan (5) Diamondback

There is a huge difference between thinking that the bigger and better comments were aimed at a ride, and stating that the park is going to lose passholders, or 2 strikes so far on press announcements

The bigger and better tag line made me think this was an announcement in regards to a coaster, or ride at the park. However, after reading the announcement I laughed at myself for over-hyping and reading into their comment too much. I am at fault for that, not Cedar Point... Believe it or not, not every single tweet, comment, and post by a CP employee has to do with a new ride, or a new coaster.

It made perfect sense to me, after the announcement came out of course, that bigger and better was in regards to the new partnership with the LBJFF. This was much bigger, and much better than simply re-naming a ride after him.

It's not that I am awesome and mature, actually, I will be the first to admit that I can be very immature... mostly because it is more fun to be so most of the time. But anyway, the difference is that I understand that I am the one responsible for over-hyping this, I was at fault for thinking that it had to be about a coaster. CP never made that connection, so to say they struck out again on this announcement is not a well informed comment. In reality, CP and Mr. James hit a home run with this announcement.

Last edited by JUnderhill,

I get that everyone is an enthusiast and disappointment is a perfectly acceptable feeling to have but THIS is what you're disappointed over? Shouldn't fans of the park feel proud at this announcement that the park is generally going to have a positive impact on the lives of underprivileged children?

If you wait until everything for next year has been revealed and it still disappoints you fine. This however is an awkward time for that.

MeanStreakCoasterFreak said:
What an absolute disappointment this announcement is. I am getting sick of this false hope hype game. Thanks Cedar Point for ruining my day AGAIN. I think it's great to be supportive of such foundations, but hyping this up is a joke. This game is getting old.

I'm guessing if this announcement ruined your day that your day was pretty much ruined when you got out of bed this morning.

Gang...when the big announcement date comes for next year's attraction, it will be very evident and plastered on the home page. I highly doubt Tony is going to put out a causal tweet "only" for the announcement date of a new new roller coaster or dark ride as he did with LJFF.

If the game is getting old, maybe it's time to find a new game.

This thread has become awesome. It's like watching an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

*grabs bucket of popcorn*

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

People getting upset over people getting upset...seems like a never ending vicious cycle. :)

I'll gladly admit that I was initially a little crestfallen when I read the release. I had allowed my imagination run wild with various possibilities and clearly the reality wasn't even close to any of the scenarios I had imagined. I don't know that CP "hyped" the release but it certainly generated some buzz in the media.

After I took a moment to think about what the release actually said and meant, my perspective changed completely. As I stated in another thread I think this partnership is fantastic and it sounds like it will allow youth to have access to opportunities and experiences that most people take for granted. In the grand scheme of life the fact that this announcement didn't meet many of our initial expectations pales in comparison to the good that can be achieved through this partnership. It is in fact bigger, and better, than any renaming of a ride could possibly ever be.

This sounds like something that the Cedar Point crew is proud of and I don't think that there was any attempt on their part to mislead the public or try to trick people into thinking that they were revealing their 2015 plans.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service