King James Announcement 9/16

https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/511222628309532673

"It's BIGGER. It's BETTER! It's our news on @KingJames. Tuesday. 9/16. 11 am. #IPROMISE"

Last edited by liebevision,

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

So here's the question.

Do you think a ride will be renamed "King James" as they said, or will the addition for 2015 be renamed "King James" from whatever it was they were planning to name it?

When I saw this twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

I really don't want anything named king James.

The whole it's bigger and better thing definitely hints to a mantis transformation.

I say its Mantis. I bet we were right on the whole transformation thing, and this is what we are getting for 2015. If not, then Mean Streak or even Raptor could be getting some kind of overhalls. I really don't want one of the coasters to be renamed King James. I think its about time to redo the Blue Streak and Kiddy Kingdom areas of the park.

Arms Down, Head Back, and Hold On!...Arms Down!...Arms Down......

^ Is it just me or did you just take sound (word?) bytes from every post in the last 3 months to compile that post.

The language certainly implies that something will be bigger and better.

Hmm.

Promoter of fog.

If this is in regards to Mantis isn't it a tad unusual to announce the replacement/transformed version prior to the existing ride being closed for good?

In any case I hope the king james name is for about 30 minutes of publicity time and then whatever it is reverts back to its original, better name.

Perhaps it's grown on me. I'm completely indifferent to the name of a ride at CP being King James, either temporarily or permanently.

Then again, I was not one of those who felt "betrayed" when Lebron left, except by the Cavs organization, who have thankfully learned from their previous incompetence.

And I'm not saying you are, JUnderhill. Perhaps you just dislike the name.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

I'm not a basketball fan and have no real feelings about what happened between Mr. James and the Cavs. The re-naming of a coaster King James to me, went from a state of indifference to more of an annoyance. I simply do not wish to have to stop myself everytime I say let's go ride Mantis... err... King James (or whatever ride is re-named). Perhaps it is laziness, or resistance to change, I am honestly not quite sure the reason but I would prefer no coaster be renamed King James.

Something tells me that if it is indeed changed, the ride will not resemble Mantis in many ways from the coaster well all know.

But the name dislike I get. It's a personal preference thing.

I thought Millennium Force was a pretty stupid name the first time I heard it, but I stopped caring the moment I got off the ride for the first time. :)

Promoter of fog.

This won't be about Mantis. They just announced that you have until October 19th to get your "last stand" on Mantis. They aren't just gonna turn around and say Mantis is turning into "????", it kills their strategy the extra business of people flocking to the park to ride Mantis one last time. So whatever they have planned for Tuesday isn't for Mantis or 2015. I think something will be named "King James" for the remainder of season. Remember when they said they had a Major Announcement and it turned out to be Mantis closing with no other information. They came out to say we never said 2015, which is the same in this case.

The statement from the park today about "bigger and better" really has intrigued me. For a minute I am going to assume that the Mantis structure is indeed the subject of the King James announcement. If that assumption is correct and it will be "bigger and better" then that means we are in for some re-profiling and re-tracking of the ride - how else could it be bigger and better?

New trains may make the ride better, but not bigger. I had an excitement level of close to zero for putting some new trains of any type on the existing Mantis layout. However, of that layout is to change, even slightly, along with the addition of a new riding position - well that is a completely different animal.

Of course, if the King James has nothing to do with Mantis, then I just wasted a bunch of time thinking about this for nothing...

StealthPirate07 said:
This won't be about Mantis. They just announced that you have until October 19th to get your "last stand" on Mantis. They aren't just gonna turn around and say Mantis is turning into "????", it kills their strategy the extra business of people flocking to the park to ride Mantis one last time. So whatever they have planned for Tuesday isn't for Mantis or 2015. I think something will be named "King James" for the remainder of season. Remember when they said they had a Major Announcement and it turned out to be Mantis closing with no other information. They came out to say we never said 2015, which is the same in this case.

If something isn't changing and it is just a simple re-name, how can it be bigger and better. Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way but something needs to change from its current form in order to be bigger and better.

StealthPirate07 said:

People are not "flocking to the park" to get a last ride on Mantis. Hence, no more Mantis.

Promoter of fog.

True, I forgot about the Bigger/Better statement. I still don't see this being about the fate of Mantis. Like I said before, they wouldn't want to ruin the strategy of getting people in the park for one last ride.

Who knows what this could be for then. I just don't see them giving up the opportunity to bring more people in just to ruin it by saying, "Mantis is just changing"

Kevinj said:

People are not "flocking to the park" to get a last ride on Mantis. Hence, no more Mantis.

I know its a hated ride by a lot. People are gonna be interested and wonder whats going on at the point. So maybe people aren't "flocking" like I said, but there is a strategy to drum up interest and getting people who are on the fence about going to come.

Hate's a little extreme. I don't hate it, I just don't enjoy it. Regardless of my personal dislike, though, it's always a nostalgic moment when a coaster is removed.

Except in the case of Disaster Transport, of course. :)

People are interested in what's coming, but they don't need to even leave their couch to find out what that might be. Drumming up interest to come to the park would be saying "be at the park on October 19th to find out what's coming".

They're announcing it online on Tuesday. That doesn't exactly drum up interest to come to the park.

As luck would have it, I'm dragging my students to the park on October 19th...but I'll happily pass on giving Mantis anymore of my time...or my sperm.

Promoter of fog.

Perhaps it is coaster trains finally designed for Big and Tall folks!

jo linn said:
Perhaps it is coaster trains finally designed for Big and Tall folks!

Saw too many normal people that were not able to ride after trying to fit? What if the Cleveland Browns decided they were taking a team trip to CP, I can't see anybody but the punter and kicker being able to ride anything? LOL you gotta be tiny to ride!

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service