BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

The wheel is elevated via hydraulics, so I imagine even a full power disconnect wouldn't result in the wheel falling quickly. After all, isn't a full power disconnect the same as a complete power outage?

Brandon

I would imagine there is some sort of emergency fail safe that would slowly bring the arm back down to horizontal in the case of a power outage.

If we lose power, etc, I believe the ride still lowers slowly via fluid leaving the piston. The disconnect, oh yeah, bad stuff is ganna happen, no doubt. But that's something we never ever press. The ride needs to be throwing cars onto Gemini for that button to get pressed, and then honestly I'd probably hit ride stop, lower arm, and brakes before that.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

clevelander said:
I have always wondered however if there was a power outage or E-stop while the ride was vertical what happens?

Per the manual from Huss (see page 9 of linked PDF) the wheel auto lowers and comes to a stop. Same as hitting the e-stop. Ahh the power of Google! http://bit.ly/1pOAQUb

Last edited by Bill02,

SWEET...

I would like to see CP remove the old dorms and move the marina entrance. They could also move the coal pile behind maverick.
http://i.imgur.com/YGaiMBr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5NmMZzT.jpg

Last edited by djcarl,

More cabins?
http://i.imgur.com/rJvxsPV.jpg

Parking?
http://i.imgur.com/j7jD0Fg.jpg

Last edited by djcarl,

Wayne B said:
Q: for the witches wheel: what if it wasn't one of the upper most or lower most cars, but the side cars (as the wheel is nearly vertical) and the axis of the car is almost perpendicular relative to the ground? One side is facing up, so you are against the back of your seat, but the other side would be pointed down. (Or am I just not picturing this ride correctly).

A: You are picturing it perfectly. If the rotation stopped while the ride is all the way up and your car is perpendicular to the ground, you would be -- as you said -- against the seat back or almost in a standing position on the slanted piece of metal by your feet. I would not be concerned about this because by the time the rotation stops, the ride will have lowered part of the way. As others have mentioned, the piston will lower if the hydraulic pump stops. Of course, we have not covered what may happen in the case of catastrophic failure, but it is probably more likely that the chair that you are presumably sitting on will break catastrophically before any properly maintained amusement park ride you are riding will.

djDaemon said:

thedevariouseffect said:
That'd be like asking if Corkscrew got stuck in a loop upside down, what do we do..*hint* It doesn't happen

It's not stupid question, actually. Presumably, the wheel doesn't slam down to the ground rapidly, so I too am curious what would happen to the folks whose cars can't rotate back to normal.

And a train can absolutely get stuck in the middle of an inversion, given the right set of circumstances.

Well there was that time that TTD was stuck perfectly balanced at the top...

Because the object of the "stuck upside down" discussion was Corkscrew, it is worth noting that some malfunction (probably in the wheels) caused Demon, Six Flags Great America's Arrow looper (I think it was that one and not CGA's), to get stuck upside down in one incident.

Th WW wouldnt slam down for a few reasons.. hydraulics is one.. like your screen door.. its hard to slam shut when it has the pneumatic piston..

Also.. the gyroscope effect resists change in momentum.. not enough to slow the decent a ton.. but enough to slow it down a little bit

Witches Wheel has a hydraulic ram, not pneumatic. Presumably, when the power goes out, hydraulic pressure is released and the wheel desends at it's normal rate of decent. Most likely the rate of decent is controlled by the size of the orifice that the hydraulic fluid goes through when it exits the ram.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Gatekeeper2013 said:

djDaemon said:

thedevariouseffect said:
That'd be like asking if Corkscrew got stuck in a loop upside down, what do we do..*hint* It doesn't happen

It's not stupid question, actually. Presumably, the wheel doesn't slam down to the ground rapidly, so I too am curious what would happen to the folks whose cars can't rotate back to normal.

And a train can absolutely get stuck in the middle of an inversion, given the right set of circumstances.

Thats happened 4 times actually.

I'm from Kansas

glions33 said:

Gatekeeper2013 said:

djDaemon said:

thedevariouseffect said:

Thats happened 4 times actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Nt6h7sBHg<--- Could happen to Corkscrew...

Leave the hypercoaster alone

I know this unlikely but I was thinking what kind of coaster would go with the name Lebron James. What came to mind was a b&ms dive coaster where there are speakers in the cars. When you pause at the top looking down the speakers kick in and say," the shoots taken it hits the rim heads up in the air and." That's when it drops and you go through a hoop. U then go to the right and do a turn around and the speakers say," and love brings it to the middle of the floor and puts up a floater." Where u flip over and dive again as if you were slammed down like Lebron James. It then procides to go around like more ball movement and when it hits the final break run it says," and the ball was thrown out of bounds."

I know this is a far shot and probaley a wish list type thing, but I thought it was worth sharing.

NWLB said:
Beer garden? As though there aren't already ample places for people to get a beer now, in a family friendly amusement park?

Why is beer not family friendly? There is nothing wrong with drinking beer while out with the family. Matter of fact, when out with the family, sometimes having a beer really helps!

Last edited by Pete,

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Epcot Food & Wine... full of families. The horror!

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I love Epcot - drinking around the world in a single trip. Where else can you do that? Absolutely nothing wrong if you keep everything in check and moderated.

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

I went to Disney a few years back when I had just turned 21... I went to every park and had a hotel room key that could be used as credit card, which I would just be billed at the time I checkout. I was young and in my partying days and I'll tell you what... Disney made it pretty easy for me to get a beer anywhere in that park with that room key, no matter how tanked I was! If I'm not mistaken, Disney never made me put a single beer down while waiting in line, or turned me down because I was too hammered! Heck there's a beer stand on every corner of every Disney Park and they all take the card LOL!

A few adult options throughout CP (park) or maybe to go along with the Breakers reno could definitely be a plus! IMO CF has really neglected the adult/mature crowd and adding a few more places to get a drink would be nice!

Last edited by WishfulThinker83,

I think adding more places to drink isn't required or positive. This differs from providing access to drinks however-as I see it.

The Trail Tavern was a great addition. Tasteful, high-end, nice. Updating and enhancing the Palace Theater area which has the beer outlet, adding more carts able to sell beer, etc, could do the job without adding larger, more expensive, and frankly distracting venues for drinking.

They need to cover the adult segment I agree. Though I do not think that means simply alcohol.

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service