BESIDES Mantis what else for 2015?

I heard that Witches Wheel will get a total refurb with new LED lights installed in the same fashion that Monster was. The ride that needs an update most is poor old neglected Calypso. That ride is a shell of it's former self. I had a thought that it should be covered with 3 walls and a roof (leaving the front open) and totally refurbed into a complete party. Have it blasting some techno or fun pop with fog machines and laser lights from the ceiling and strobe lights to go with the music. New LED's on the cars replacing the half burnt out lights we have today and for the love of god place the little roofs back on the cars! At night have some lights and speakers on the roof facing the midway to grab attention and bring some life to that area and have the ride operator have some fun pumping up the riders.

I think that CP can finally retire the Turnpike Cars since they take up a large chunk of space and are so cramped and uncomfortable leaving room for a large flat ride. Or possibly a new walkway connecting the area next to the Good Time Theater so that the BS midway no longer is a dead end and ghost town. Some people are saying boardwalk and some are saying a new dark ride. I would be happy with a new revised Mantis along with a total updated Blue Streak midway and a new flat or two there to bring some life to that area. Besides off the wall rumors or wishful thinking, (besides my Calypso rant) what else have you heard or would like to see?

More recycle bins.

Brandon

I agree 100% with the retiring of the Turnpike Cars. We have bumper cars, old-fashioned cars, and several other "car themed" rides. They take up too much space and I would LOVE to see a dark ride in its place. I never got the opportunity to ride Disaster Transport before they demolished it (I was absolutely terrified of roller coasters up until 2011, and I didn't go to CP until August 1st, 2012, which I've never lived more than 1.5 hours away from my entire life... wasted 15 years of being afraid). Anyways, I've been to Disney World countless times and I LOVE Space Mountain despite its increasingly rough ride. Also, Cedar Point should definitely try a black-light dark ride such as Rock n Roller Coaster. Although, I know Cedar Point is not much for themes other than the Peanuts characters, but they could try to buy the rights to use a bands music and theme a ride to it. I know that the Aerosmith music definitely adds to the ride experience overall. Not saying that Cedar Point doesn't focus on ride experience, but it is certainly always something that every place (not just CP) could improve. As for Witches Wheel, I'm not sure why they are wasting their time refurbishing it. I think it is a horrible and unsafe ride. There aren't even any seat belts on it. Calypso would be AWESOME with fog lights and music, again adding onto the rider experience thing. I would be happy as well with a revised Mantis that is floor-less or sit-down in honor of Lebron's return to Cleveland. I am absolutely all for a new Blue Streak midway. I think all parts of Cedar Point should be reflective of the "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" and that midway certainly is NOT. It's beat up, old, and quite frankly depressing. I think if they are going to build a boardwalk, they should buy those AquaTrax and just knock it all out at once ;)

Better lighting on the Dragster/Corkscrew midways.
Better lighting new Calypso/Turnpike Cars.
Better lighting near Ocean Motion.
Match the splat crews with anti-spider crew.
Fix Calypso.
Revamp the Blue course at Challenge Golf.
Improve ventilation in Coliseum arcade.
Improve tables and chairs in Palace Theater, first and second floors.

The reason there are no seat belts on the Witches Wheel is that the centrifugal keep riders stuck to their seats. I have always wondered however if there was a power outage or E-stop while the ride was vertical what happens?

If I had to guess, probably the same thing that happens with a helicopter. It'd probably coast to a stop and lower back down. I doubt it'd just completely stop or drop back to the horizontal position suddenly.

1. Blue Streak Midway - including putting something where the shell of the Pirate Ride stands. They could have done that for the price of the two carnie rides they installed this year.
2. Get rid of the old Oceana stadium - what exactly is there? A proper beer patio overlooking the water, for example.
3. Dark ride.
4. More trees or vined canopies with misters.
5. Fix or chop down Mean Streak.

There is no risk of being stuck in an inverted position on the Witches Wheel because, like all Enterprise rides, the ride unit (car) is free to spin to the left or right. In the case of the ride slowing down regardless of the rides vertical position, the cars will smoothly return to an upright position. (This happens every cycle in the down/loading position, otherwise you would be stuck sideways.) The cars can never balance upside down due to the wheel never quite reaching vertical (87 degrees). The is only one Enterprise (that I know of) that has seat belts; It is located in Thailand. Since seat belts only serve as a hazard on this ride with no safety benefit, please stop giving Cedar Fair ideas. (They have already gone to far with their Ferris wheels and B&M hypers.)

I think all they are doing is removing Mantis.

I mean, that is all the major announcement was, was the announcement of Mantis being removed.

You can't say there will be anything else, since there wasn't even a HINT of more, there wasn't even a HINT of another date to look forward to.

There was more than a hint of more to come. The park plainly stated that there were more announcements to come regarding 2015.

Brandon

Q: for the witches wheel: what if it wasn't one of the upper most or lower most cars, but the side cars (as the wheel is nearly vertical) and the axis of the car is almost perpendicular relative to the ground? One side is facing up, so you are against the back of your seat, but the other side would be pointed down. (Or am I just not picturing this ride correctly).

remember: no matter where you go... there you are.

So many wishes but the most likely to occur would have to pass the test, "How would this increase per capita spending?"
- Midway Market Buffet: Needs better food than rock-hard chicken nuggets and starch. Raise the price 30-40% and get some real food in there.
- Biergarten on the beach? Yes, please!! Put it on that long-rumored boardwalk too.
- A quiet, adult-oriented, mid-priced, modern resort hotel. Decent soundproofing is a must. A lounge with music would be nice. Rates about ~ $125 mid-week in season, $195 weekends. Not everything has to be some cheapo motel by the railroad tracks or a $300/night kiddy waterpark.
- An elevated lounge with glass all around. About as tall as the Skyride buildings, with stairs and an elevator. Enclosed and air conditioned. Sits on a central pillar with a large overhang all around. Plop it on the Gemini midway with views of Camp Snoopy, Monster, etc. Nice place to cool off or dodge the rain. No kitchen but soda, beer, popcorn, any other snacks that can be prepared offsite and sold there.

Just say no to trims

^who's spazing? It was just a question. It's close enough to the weekend on an already short week. Unless medicated, I can't get any calmer than this.

You're asking stupid questions..

That'd be like asking if Corkscrew got stuck in a loop upside down, what do we do..*hint* It doesn't happen

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

So curiosity = stupidity. Thanks. I will try to clear my questions thru you before posting next time. Again, in my post I asked if I was picturing things correctly. I am not a ride op or designer. But was just curious. I have never seen it stop outside of the normal ride cycle.

djDaemon said:
There was more than a hint of more to come. The park plainly stated that there were more announcements to come regarding 2015.

Nope. Mantis closes for good October 19th. No more announcements planned.

You see what happens when you have a piss-poor "announcement"? You get backlash. You get FIRED.

Brian PSH said:
1. Blue Streak Midway - including putting something where the shell of the Pirate Ride stands. They could have done that for the price of the two carnie rides they installed this year.
2. Get rid of the old Oceana stadium - what exactly is there? A proper beer patio overlooking the water, for example.
3. Dark ride.
4. More trees or vined canopies with misters.
5. Fix or chop down Mean Streak.

Oceana stadium is used for what has been a very popular outdoor show, tearing it down serves what purpose really? Beer garden? As though there aren't already ample places for people to get a beer now, in a family friendly amusement park?

Yes to more trees, yes to burning Mean Streak, etc.

No to a dark ride. Just no.

TheEternalQuestioner said:
Nope. Mantis closes for good October 19th. No more announcements planned.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/09/cedar_point_annou...ns_to.html

A park spokesman said additional plans for the 2015 season will be announced at a later date.

Brandon

thedevariouseffect said:
That'd be like asking if Corkscrew got stuck in a loop upside down, what do we do..*hint* It doesn't happen

It's not stupid question, actually. Presumably, the wheel doesn't slam down to the ground rapidly, so I too am curious what would happen to the folks whose cars can't rotate back to normal.

And a train can absolutely get stuck in the middle of an inversion, given the right set of circumstances.

Brandon

^That set of circumstances is ridiculously rare. Can, but very very unlikely

The arm could come down slowly, plus the ride won't stay up and spin. The only way I could see it brought down fast is the emergency disconnect, which isn't even pressed in practically any situation unless you want to lose your job. I could see the arm coming down imediately after that however, but never had experience with pushing it :P. Every other scenario we're instructed to ride stop, bring the arm down, and then hit brakes. The ride won't go up without it spinning, so it'll spin, hit speed, arm raise, go all the way, come back down, hit brakes before arm stops at bottom, brakes slow gondola until inertia & whatnot take over.

Corkscrew, Power Tower, Magnum, & Monster/ Witches Wheel Crew 2011

You must be logged in to postArchived.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service