Wing Walker going to Six Flags...Does this reflect CF 2013?

Don't worry guys, this isn't a "Let's Predict Project 2013 thread", keep reading...

With Six Flags announcing their 2012 lineup for their parks today, I was so disapointed to see that Six Flags Great America is getting the continent's first Wing Walker, not only because Cedar Fair can't claim it for themselves, but because this was one of my hopes for the 2013 season for Cedar Point. The layout of this new coaster is definitely prototype, so perhaps CF would order one if it doesn't have too many issues...but I just don't see them copying the competition so blatantly. Also, SF Discovery Kingdom is getting a Skyloop Coaster, and I don't think there is one in North America either. SF is definitely spending a lot of money for next year.

With these wing walker and skyloop rides, and SFMM adding the world's tallest Vertical Drop tower, where does Cedar Fair go from here? We all know they plan their rides four to five years in advance, so could they have been scooped, or is there something bigger and better coming? Most importantly, what does this mean for CF's revenue for the 2012 season? Will any of you be travelling to SF to try out these new rides instead of visiting CF parks? Magic Mountain isn't direct competition, but SF America, and Great America are in the vacinity, and New England's acquisition of Deja Vu may be a draw...

Fav Coaster credits of 2012 season...

The Voyage, Leviathan, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, The Legend, Flight of Fear

Dollywood is getting one too. And, there's will likely be open first since their season starts earlier.

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Instead of being disappointed, perhaps you should go to the parks getting the new rides. That's what I intend to do.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

I was really looking forward to cedar point hopefully getting Americas first wing rider in 2013.

They need to make a big bang with there coaster in 2013. Something that will draw some of the new six flag fans back to cedar point

I was planning a trip to California's great America next year but I'm seriously considering going to discovery kingdom instead. 1 because of that new coaster they got and 2 because CGA has been losing a lot of rides/coasters over the years.

I do have to say I think SFMM adding that drop ride on the actually tower of the superman coaster is genius. There avoiding having to build another tower and there making good use of what they have.

Last edited by Maverick00,

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

I absolutely am going to take a trip to Great America to ride the Wing Walker. My point is what does this mean for CF financially as a company for 2012 and beyond. I'd rather put the money into my 'home park' and the company I usually support, rather than the so called competition. As well, with these great new projects, how does that affect CF's strategy for 2013?

Ironically, I had plans to go to Dollywood and SFGA in 2012 before I ever knew anything was being built at either.

Last edited by Jason Hammond,

884 Coasters, 35 States, 7 Countries
http://www.rollercoasterfreak.com My YouTube

Also cedar point were the record breakers in the 2000s. It seems as if SFMM are the new record breakers in the 2010s (first zacspin, new record holder for the most coasters even though they'll be back to 17 and the world tallest drop ride). And it'll only be 2012

Enjoy the rest of your day at America's Rockin' Roller Coast! Ride On!

Maverick00 said:

I do have to say I think SFMM adding that drop ride on the actually tower of the superman coaster is genius. There avoiding having to build another tower and there making good use of what they have.

I completely agree. Although all I read on here is that the Coaster Wars are over, it doesn't seem as if Magic Mountain has realized this. They continuously are adding attractions that are so appealing, my fiance and I are considering Honeymooning in California next year. How amazing will it be to be lifted up that tower WHILE the coaster is roaring up beside you?

How exactly would this affect Cedar Fair financially?

People will still visit both chains of parks, regardless of what has been built.

The only problem solved by Cedar Fair announcing multiple ride installations is that enthusiasses will stop whining about Cedar Fair not installing a bunch of rides and switch to whining about Cedar Fair not installing what they want installed.

Goodbye MrScott

John

JuggaLotus said:
How exactly would this affect Cedar Fair financially?

People will still visit both chains of parks, regardless of what has been built.

As a student, I can make two to three trips to CP a year. If I wanted to check out both east coast SF parks next year, AND take a trip to Magic Mountain, I wouldn't visit CP once...

As well, I wouldn't be buying the Season's Pass I've had for the past two years. I also wouldn't be staying at Castaway Bay as I do the three times I travel there....

That may not be a lot to the company, but I'm sure I won't be the only one to make these decisions, particularly since we travel with a group of 5 to 8 people each trip...

Nothing personal, but as a students with relatively no disposable income, you are not exactly the kind of guests Cedar Point is targeting when they make decisions.

Promoter of fog.

Just so everyone knows the concept that SFMM is implementing next year is not a new concept. They are doing what they did this year and copying Dreamworld in Australia(tower of terror and giant drop).

I'm actually tickled pink that we aren't the testbed for another new design. Cedar Point has introduced 'FUBAR: The Ride' far too many times already.

Last edited by We-o-we-oooo,

Girl: "l want to ride that yellow one again... Twisted Wicker"
Me: "It's a roller coaster, not a broken clothes hamper."

Maverick00 said:
They need to make a big bang with there coaster in 2013. Something that will draw some of the new six flag fans back to cedar point

Reality check: No significant number of people from Cleveland or Detroit are going to any Six Flags.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

Kevinj said:
Nothing personal, but as a students with relatively no disposable income, you are not exactly the kind of guests Cedar Point is targeting when they make decisions.

As a twenty something with no kids, no mortgage and being partnered with someone else in the same position, most of our spending money goes to disposable things like the movies, concerts and several multiple day stays at amusement parks. Perhaps they should be targeting us.

Being first to the block is nice but doesnt guarentee much. SFGA was the first to build an inverted B&M (Batman) but CP did it far better with Raptor. Which is the better ride today? First is a good way to get a plaque but I dont see Batman cracking any "best" lists. If this truly is the next big design in coasters, CP will get one thats better than the rest.

As a side note its also interesting that Magic Mountain will no longer have most coasters with Deja Vu being moved.

Last edited by TheHSBR,

^^

It may seem like that from the outside looking in, but the amount of money that someone like yourself (generally speaking...you of course could be an outlier) spends in and on the park is pennies to the dollars that families spend.

You spend less at the door, and you spend less once you are inside that door.

Promoter of fog.

Jeff said:

Maverick00 said:

Reality check: No significant number of people from Cleveland or Detroit are going to any Six Flags.

I am from the Detroit area, and I know a lot of people going/went to six flags this summer. I am not sure where you get your info from, other than a guess.

I also notice that a lot more people from the Detroit area are venturing to Michigans adventure instead of cedarpoint this year as well. How do I know this you ask?

1. Everyone knows I am a theme park junkie, and always comes to me to ask about anything theme park related.:)
2. My girlfriends sister works at AAA, and sells theme park tickets everyday. I have gotten a lot of feedback from her as well. She has noticed that a LOT more people are getting six flags tickets this year over years past. As a matter of fact, they had to request more tickets from six flags, as they had sold all that they had in stock. That has never happend before. She has also noticed a dip in ticket sales for cedarpoint tickets from years pastx .
3. I am friends with a few people at my local parks and rec dept. They sell theme park tickets as well, and I have gotten just about the same feedback from them also.

I would imagine that a lot of the Michigan adventure visits had lot's to do with the hot weather(nice waterpark), and cheaper admission fees. Not to mention, it's a park you can do in half a day and drive home. Not sure what there numbers are this year(as they don't post that info), but I do know that last year they had a record year with attendance.

In no way am I saying that it's all doom and gloom for cedarpoint, but there has been a shift in interest from a lot of people. They still sell a LOT of cedarpoint tickets and will continue too, but just not as many as in the past few years.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

TheHSBR said:
Being first to the block is nice but doesnt guarentee much. SFGA was the first to build an inverted B&M (Batman) but CP did it far better with Raptor. Which is the better ride today? First is a good way to get a plaque but I dont see Batman cracking any "best" lists. If this truly is the next big design in coasters, CP will get one thats better than the rest.

As a side note its also interesting that Magic Mountain will no longer have most coasters with Deja Vu being moved.

I love raptor, but I have to say that I enjoy batman much more(sorry jo :) ). Batman is so much more intense than raptor.

what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I like Batman but to me it doesnt even hold a candle to most B&M inverts. Raptor is by far my favorite, but Patriot, Dragon Challenge, and Montu are all superior. Maybe its the :30 ride that changes one's perspective, but to me the first is definately still toward the bottom of the class. I guess to each his own.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service