Top Thrill Dragster 2022 Status

At the very least, I'd guess that the spike height will be somewhere in the general vicinity of the top hat height, so when the train rolls back down the existing tower, there will be enough spike height for the train to ascend without necessitating slowing it.

So, if had to speculate on a range, i'd say within 100' plus or minus of the tophat.

Last edited by DA20Pilot,

Assuming the launch is LSM, that wouldn't be necessary. In the event of a rollback, whether it's an aborted launch or a power failure, the unenergized stators act as brakes. It would behave just like a failed "launch" on Maverick.

Brandon

Understood about LSMs acting as brakes, but I'm picturing something that shuttles back and forth a couple of times between tower and spike like Wicked Twister before finally clearing the top hat.

Sure they could put a short spike and slow it with the LSMs, but my guess is that's not what we're going to see.

DA20Pilot:

At the very least, I'd guess that the spike height will be somewhere in the general vicinity of the top hat height, so when the train rolls back down the existing tower, there will be enough spike height for the train to ascend without necessitating slowing it.

I believe the LSMs will be accelerating the train on each pass, and my guess is that the spike will be taller than the height the train reaches on the tower after the initial launch. I have no idea what that height will be, but I don't think it'll be anywhere near the top. Probably in the 2-300ft range.

DRE420:

I think we are seeing the same thing here,

Agreed. Most recent drone shots appear to show rebar grid across the entirety of the triangle. I was presuming if we are right about this being a footer then they were preparing to pour one mass triangle with the three “individual” footers rising up from that base.

Agreed the fact that anyone can say it's not a substantial footer, it's queue work, or just an extension of the launch is just trolling.

The lagoon area is pretty wet. I am certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are doing this heavy duty foundation to make sure that the new queue area does not sink over time.

Magnum would like to enter the chat

argues just for clicks

Interested to hear y'all's thoughts on this.

argues just for clicks

Appears like they are close to wrapped on the footer. Looks like another layer of rebar on top that will get a (presumably) last layer of concrete. Three casings by the old station are the moulds for the three corner footer bases that rise above the ground / water surface.

Once this concrete work is finished we likely won't see much until track and supports start to arrive later in the season / fall.

Last edited by CoasterLine,

Shades:

make sure that the new queue area does not sink over time.

I’m like 99% you’re taking the piss with this comment. But….

Purposefully avoiding dragster in the dragster thread, my thoughts on the latest video. I think I saw the big white crane that made a webcam appearance earlier this week.

The stage work looks like it's progressing. Would be nice if they started a show or two on opening day. Wonder if they'll do a daytime show, peanuts show, and a night show. Or if they'll change it up this year. Was impressed by the show quality last year, hopefully they can get the quantity back up as well.

On 'taking the piss', that does look like a possible new bathroom next to the pavilion, not sure why the fenced area. Storage maybe? Looks like they're working on the bathroom near the games as well.

At around the 1:47 mark I see a glimpse of the former Matterhorn/Scrambler area. It's a bit distant but appears undeveloped at this point.

I wouldn't expect to see any activity there until next offseason at the earliest.

Brandon

I also am expecting all of this construction to come to a crawl once the season begins.

argues just for clicks

There is always a small chance they do some in the fall while the park is closed during the week.

The Crystal Method is the only way to find The Winner!

Anybody with construction or civil engineering background have any insight into what those 2 large cylinders are off the corner of the TTD station, pictured at 1:32 in the video above?

Given the shape and size, and that there are three of them, I would guess they're forms for pouring cylindrical concrete foundations.

Brandon

^What DJ said. And my guess would be they are not pouring where they are currently sitting they are just staged there to be ready to use. They get set with the caisson (see pic below) and they keep the concrete pour in a consistent shape and with the metal rebar centered.

More interesting to me is the building (station?) foundation they're forming/pouring there next to the photo building.

Brandon

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service