The Boardwalk - New for 2023

Yeah like clockwork, on every project people get anxious that they’ll never be done in time for opening day, and like clockwork, somehow it gets done. You’d be amazed at how huge of a mess the park still looks literally a week away from opening.

Yeah if I remember correctly, Valravn's trackwork wasn't even done at Winter Chill Out that year and the midway wasn't even poured. I definitely think it'll be done for Opening Day. I wouldn't even be shocked if they invite the local media in a day or two early to see the area.

You can usually get a sense for whether or not they're behind or ahead of schedule based on how much overtime they're putting in. If, for example, they're not working on a nice weather Saturday, it's a safe bet they are on or ahead of schedule.

Brandon

Those most concerned should direct their attention to Kings Island. I saw some construction photos the other day which I assumed were recent, and they have a loooong way to go with their new area. The pavement is torn up, the bar is gutted, and the new rides are represented by foundations only. And they have an opening date of Apr 15th, 41 days from today and about 21 days ahead of Cedar Point.

Kings Island said a few days ago that they’re postponing Adventure Port’s opening until “sometime in the summer” and will miss opening day. https://local12.com/amp/new...ier-garten

Oh, shoot. And I guess that will make for a considerable re-direct of traffic around that area, unless they can get pavers down and a wall all around the attractions. It’s kind of crucial for traffic there.
I don’t follow KI closely, probably should, but I guess my concern was real-er than I thought! Thanks for the info.

Something I was thinking around the Boardwalk is what if down the road they find a way to maybe keep the boardwalk open later for resort guests. Like mainly the Grand Pavilion where resort guests can go get a late night drink in the Pavilion. Obviously they would have to block off access to other areas of the park, but I would think it would be awesome if resort guests were to get an extra hour or 2 in the Boardwalk area. Also another thing I'm wondering is if they could eventually add more to the Boardwalk down the road. Not anything huge, but more to make the Boardwalk more like a family entertainment area. Like an idea is maybe relocate Slingshot from the current area by Gemini to where the basketball game is currently behind the Coliseum. Give it a nice light package similar to the one in Daytona Beach it would fit the boardwalk very well. Another idea is how about a ropes course like the one at The Island in Pigeon Forge? I know in the concept art there is a pretty decent size grass area between Wild Mouse and the beach, maybe you could put it there? Obviously we don't know the final product yet as that is just a concept drawing. Just some ideas on the area.

My hopes for any additional night time entertainment have been greatly dimmed following the discontinuation of Cedar Point Nights.

Brandon

Plus it’s hard to think about extending the resort experience to include other venues when it’s hard to find the actual resort amenities open much past when the park closes. Especially at the earlier and later ends of the main season. When the park closes at 8 and you can’t get a drink past 8:30 it doesn’t leave a whole lot to do.

I think that one of the biggest issues with the Wild Nights (besides the price) was the fact that they had to close everything down, get everyone out of the park (forcing people out of frontier town early), then open back up and hope that people wanted to come back, or new people showed up. I don't know how they could do any kind of large scale yet limited night time event without that problem.

I'm hopeful for some big event announcement to replace Nights/Wild Nights, but I'm not realistically expecting anything.

I would think resort guests would love it if just the pavilion was available for after hours cocktails and enjoying the decks.

If I remember correctly, Tony did mention that they are working on a smaller/scaled-down version of Cedar Point Nights. And yes, according to preciously posted article.

Clark said a smaller version of Cedar Point Nights was being planned, centered around Hotel Breakers

For what it's worth.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

Honestly, I think that it would be better if the whole Cedar Point Nights style activities on the beach took place all summer like from Memorial Day to Labor Day and not just select nights in July/August. Like every night the park is open have the glow games/activities and the DJ. I think having it by the Breakers would be nice for resort guests. Which also goes back to my whole Boardwalk after hours idea. Maybe even on evenings the park is closed where the resorts are open like when the park is weekend only, the night before the weekend when the resorts have guests have the Grand Pavilion and maybe select Boardwalk area rides open (obviously depending on staffing and such) for resort guests to enjoy the evening/night before the park opens.

Hudson:

I think that one of the biggest issues with the Wild Nights (besides the price) was the fact that they had to close everything down, get everyone out of the park (forcing people out of frontier town early), then open back up and hope that people wanted to come back, or new people showed up. I don't know how they could do any kind of large scale yet limited night time event without that problem.

Agreed, which is why seeing Wild Frontier Nights go by the wayside isn't particularly surprising.

But Cedar Point Nights? Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Cedar Point Nights on the beach near Breakers? If so, it doesn't suffer the same issues as Wild Frontier Nights, and I don't understand how it can be made more "centered around Hotel Breakers" without it being significantly watered down. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope this isn't a new trend for the park after years of solid improvements in this area.

Brandon

I agree with that. I already considered CP Nights to be centered around Hotel Breakers since it was on the boardwalk and beach. The only part that didn't seem to get much response last year was the luau in the Lakeside Pavilion last year, and I felt like that was in part due to the location. Had those food stands been on the boardwalk I feel they would have had more success.

I just thought of some other attractions that would have fit in very nicely with the whole boardwalk and nostalgia thing...Space Spiral, Upside Down Funhouse, Pirate Ride, Earthquake ride. The dark rides could have gone on the ground floor of the coliseum. But we have the Atomic Scrambler to look forward to, right?

Space Spiral was removed for a reason, and indoor attractions don't seem like a great fit for a boardwalk themed area in my opinion.

Brandon

have you ever been to Myrtle Beach or any of the boardwalks in the New England area? Tons of them have indoor attractions where you step off the boardwalk and inside to an attraction

Since Disaster Transport CP seems to have NO interest in indoor attractions. The problem is, when its windy and rainy, there is not much to do, wasted day.

Cedar Point's Boardwalk is designed to be an open air environment with the only main building designed solely to bring you in to give you even better views of landscape and lake views. It goes without saying (which is funny, since I'm going to say it) that the park has done a lot of work trying to remove buildings from the view of the lake in that area. Dark ride at Cedar Point? Sure. On the Boardwalk? No thanks.

We could go on and on and have a fine discussion about dark ride possibilities at the park. In fact, there is even a thread on that.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service