New For 2017: Cedar Point Shores Water Park

RCMAC, I used to find small aircraft frightening, and in fact I didn't start flying until I was 31. But once I learned about it and experienced it, it wasn't scary at all. To each their own :-)

Pete, if you take an introductory flight, see if you can find a local flight school that has newer aircraft, preferably in the LSA category.

Due to the burdensome financial effects of government regulation, a lot of flight schools are operating 30-40 year old aircraft that look every bit their age.

The experience is much better IMO in something newer, like a Diamond, or anything in the LSA category. Even a relatively new Cessna would be fine. Cirrus are great, fine for an introductory flight, but probably not suitable for primary training.

LSA-category airplanes will cost you less money to rent / train in the airplane, will typically be much sportier in appearance and handling, and will usually have much more modern avionics.

And you can earn a sport pilot license in an LSA for close to half what a private license costs.

DA20 Pilot, have you ever taken off from an aircraft carrier. I am guessing not, but at least you have Top Thrill Dragster which uses the same launch system :)

Also, how does flying planes relate to waterslides and Cedar Point shores... (Not saying you guys can't discuss it, but I am just simply curious why this topic?)

RMC Mean Streak: 215ft Tall, 75mph, 4 inversions. 2020)ALL BLACK B&M Flying Coaster on Millennium Island. 2023 or 2025) Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter like Takabisha

I personally find small aircraft much more interesting without the engine. That way you have to learn how to fly the aircraft correctly instead of relying on a propeller to keep you aloft.

Most aircraft carriers use steam catapult systems. TTD uses a much more complicated hydraulic system. The steam system is much more mechanically simple, but it is not desirable to release steam under riders on a hot day

Pointbuzz, the only forum where a discussion on water slides will lead to a discussion on aircraft.

Last edited by jscll,

CP FLYIN said:

Also, how does flying planes relate to waterslides and Cedar Point shores

I brought that up earlier as a fun poke at DA20Pilot, and the conversation naturally took a turn. It's his name. Try to keep up.

Never gonna happen, but wouldn't it be great if they had ultralight seaplane rides, perhaps a Quicksilver on floats, from the beach at Cedar Point Shores, like you often see in the Florida Keys?

There, now we're back on topic ;-)

Last edited by DA20Pilot,

^^ In a coaster you have a connection to the ground in the track and cars on a waterslide you don't have that connection as you are not in anyway attached to the ground...much like in an airplane you have no connection to the ground...sort of why I'm not crazy about huge slides myself despite finding great amusement in coasters.

DA20Pilot said:

RCMAC,

There is nothing more thrilling to me than flying light aircraft. Perhaps you should try it! Most General Aviation airports have flight schools that offer cheap introductory flights.

And, a Diamond DA20 is a fantastic sport airplane.
A Cessna 172 is like a flying Ford F-150.
A DA20 is like a flying BMW Z4 Roadster

:-)

Having flown in the cockpit of a Cessna 210(?) with a friend, I second that. Flying in a light general aviation aircraft is a very different experience from flying in a jet airliner.

DA20pilot, thanks for the tips. There is a flight school at BKL that has DA20s for instruction and even a DA40 at extra cost.

RCMAC, enjoy your trip across the pond. Back in the good old days of free, unlimited booze on international flights, I remember (or not) getting hammered on an American MD11 to Germany. There were a bunch of us by the back galley drinking most of the night. Really made the time across the pond go by quickly, probably the most fun I've had on an airplane!

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Thanks, Pete, I can't wait.
We leave Columbus at 1:30p, go to Detroit then arrive in Amsterdam at 6a. So, will I feel like napping? Eventually, I suppose, but I have a feeling jet lag is gonna get me. Maybe I'll try to stay up all night the night before.
Or, maybe I'll have to find a nice coffee shop once I get there... :)

My trip will include 3 theme parks, (Efteling, Phantasialand, and Europa) and we have reserved seating at Munich's Oktoberfest, so.... yeah. I hope I come back lots and lots of complaints about how awful Cedar Point is, don't you?
(Btw, the other day I purchased a couple/three nice, light CP sweatshirts to wear to the parks, so maybe I'll get some attention.)

That will be an awesome trip! Can't pretend that I'm not slightly jealous.. Wow. Enjoy!

RCMAC, if possible, when you arrive in Amsterdam take a 2-3 hour nap. You'll wake refreshed and ready for action. You can enjoy the rest of the day and evening without feeling tired and "out of it." It works for me every time.

Enjoy the trip. Waiting to read your trip report.

Last edited by Bluestreaker,

Here you go RCMAC. You should think of this while flying.

What is nice about the trip to Europe is that it is night much of the way and you arrive early in the morning local time. So, the day/night cycle seems somewhat normal to your body and I've had little jet lag after arrival.

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

I just saw all of these airplane posts as I am at BKL at my desk looking out at the Blue Angels and Golden Knights aircraft, as well as Les Shockleys Shockwave, as the AirShow is this weekend.

I would recommend either of the Flight Schools here, one has DA-20's, DA-40's, cessna 172's. Both schools have booths at the AirShow or look them up via Burke web page.

If anyone is in the area, the Blues fly at 3:00pm today and Monday.

Having been on a few trap door slides, I can assure you, they are high thrill. So much so, that they make me feel like I'm going to puke from being so nervous.

I can handle a drop ride all day, but those slides, and the feeling of falling with absolutely nothing, even for a short stretch, it terrifying on a completely different level.

I did one once, on the Disney Magic. It's not even a large one, and I had a great deal of liquid courage, no wait, but never again. I can rationalize almost any ride to the point of scientific observation and zero thrill, but not that.

Jeff - Advocate of Great Great Tunnels™ - Co-Publisher - PointBuzz - CoasterBuzz - Blog - Music

And once again, the enthusiasts need to be reminded that for the vast, vast majority of individuals, much like Valravn, these trap-door slides will be completely new, and many will most likely assume that Cedar Point invented this new type of thrill.

The entire water park is getting a face-lift. Even without new slides this would be a big deal.

I've never had a chance to try one, but they certainly look thrilling.

Promoter of fog.

Jeff said:
I did one once, on the Disney Magic. It's not even a large one, and I had a great deal of liquid courage, no wait, but never again. I can rationalize almost any ride to the point of scientific observation and zero thrill, but not that.

I agree 100% - I tried both varieties at a hurricane harbor about 2 years ago, and it's just not something I can bring myself to do again. I'm with you on the rationalization part, too. I just can't wrap my brain around it. They truly amaze me with how they work, and that also scares me, because they're mechanical and that means they can fail. It's happened at least once - last year in the UK, and there was an "injury" on one in the dells in 2012, but details are hard to find.

I may get brave and try one at CPS, but more than likely I'll never even bother.

It would be that "falling in a man hole" feeling. I'd just know I'd crack my chin on something. Or something.
Plus I imagine road rash of the worst degree and trunks that disappear to somewhere.

I was among the first 10 public riders on Kings Island's. (This was on the first passholder preview day, when it was 57°F, before even Media Day.) You definitely get that "what the heck am I doing" feeling while waiting on the floor to drop.

The Aqua-Launch slides scraped up our backs pretty well (known hazard on WhiteWater West body slides) and left white marks all over my swimsuit. Supposedly, they were much smoother later in the season.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service