New for 2006 - Skyhawk

Let see what the wait times are next year.

New rides always have waits, DAH.

Besides using your anaolgy we should have 6 more coasters because thay all have the same wait time as MaxAir.

Did you ever think that they might be getting two rides, and skyhawk is just announced to take the attention off the other one.

interesting

[rant]

Oh, wow. I cannot believe some people on here. This is insane. You all do realize that the season ended, what, 28 hours ago? And some of you, just because it "is almost identical to maXair" wont go back? Some of you are shallow-minded. You have never tried a Screaming Swing, so... why compare? All I know that is that I love maXair, but since I'm a big guy, the OSTR's were riding up on me. Skyhawk? Open aired restraints. Bonus.

Actually, on a side note, I'm seriously considering a season pass this year. A new ride is just icing on the cake. Does anyone here go to the park just to enjoy it anymore? After all the bad things I read on here about lacking employee moral, high food prices, and other things, when I stepped foot inside the park in June, I forgot about everything I read. I went to have fun with my family. And fun we had. It didn't matter if there was anything new, and even though we ran into a few spots with some rude employees, it all was great in the end.

What does that have to do with Skyhawk? The fact that it doesn't matter if it is "similar" to a ride already at the park for us to have a good time. Jeez, they could put a clone of maXair on the same spot and I would still go to the park at every opportunity. Why? For the absolute love of Cedar Point. That's why.

[/rant]

-nesdude

DJA19 said:
Did you ever think that they might be getting two rides, and skyhawk is just announced to take the attention off the other one.

interesting

$6 million isn't a cheap attraction that would just fill a gap until something big comes. Skyhawk looks to be a great ride.

-Craig-
2008:Magnum XL-200 | Top Thrill Dragster
2007:Corkscrew | Magnum XL-200 | Maverick

There are basically only three things that flat rides do.

1.Spin
2.Swing
3.Drop

We already have two of the third (which cannot have much variation in it), leaving us with those two. There are plenty of spinning rides at the point. I don't see another swing as that much of a crutch.

Sheesh. I was really expecting all this griping. We have THREE of america's top ten steel coasters at our doorstep, and that's out of over 600 in this country. And two coasters that are still at #2 and #5 in height and speed. But still they're not happy. "If it's not a 500ft coaster for '06, I might as well not go." We don't even know anything about 2007 yet! Oh, well, some people are never happy.
*** Edited 11/1/2005 3:27:09 AM UTC by MilleniumMadMan***

Water is involved
R.I.P: The Mayor, Mr. Scott

Spf2000 said:
Am I missing something, the CP site says MaxAir has a swing height of 140' and travels 70 MPH. SkyHalk has a swing height of 125' and travels 60MPH.

How can SkyHalk be the world largest swing ride, if MaxAir is already swings higher and is faster?

They mean the world's largest Screamin' Swing, not the world's largest swinging ride.

2007: Millennium Force, 2008: Millennium Force ATL, 2009: Top Thrill Dragster
www.pointpixels.com | www.parkpixels.com

Its not just getting a ride that is almost similar to maXair, thats just one thing in a string of things. They haven't really made an attempt to fix Millennium Force's seatbelt situation, to me thats just saying they don't care about those guest who can't fit anymore.

Then theres Top Thrill Dragster, I know its not thier fault that it doesn't work all the time, but if i was Cedar Point i would be trying to figure out what to do to really get it working good, instead of being like lets just fix it everytime, hell why don't they just have intamin take it down and return it for something else. I wouldn't care.

And now they are thinking about buy the six flags chain... here we go again, if they do this they will be at the same point Six Flags is right now. So as i am concerned CP is no longer the park i knew back before TTD, but as a park that has changed its view of who its guest are and who they want to please. Whats even gonna change after Kinzel is gone, its looking downhill from here, so this is where i get off. Cedar Point has lost a fan and a guest of its park. I will no longer spend my money at a "shinking ship." I hope they lose their golden ticket award next year. good bye Cedar Point

"If it looks good, you'll see it; if it sounds good, you'll hear it, if it's marketed right, you'll buy it; but... if it's real, you'll feel it."

I hope that each and every one of you idiots who complain about this new attration stay out of its line. Unless you have ridden both a Frisbee and Screaming Swing you have no right to complain. I've ridden maXair but never a Screaming Swing so I can't judge it, although I'm pumped for it, and it's short line since very few people are looking forward to it.

Everything that was announced today was positive. Lower admission prices, the consideration of lower food prices, 25 cent cotton candy, a new ride, and a space being cleared for a probable new ride in 2007. You're right Lakeland, that is a sinking ship.

We'll miss you MrScott and Pete

I'm one that doesnt agree with it but, hell it's a new ride and I will be there to ride it next summer.

For those people who say "I'm not going to the park anymore" Don't go just less people i have to worry about in lines, but you know you will be there so why even say it?

Yes people don't like it inculding myself, but to try and bash the park for a ride, and turning against them because they didnt make you happy?

Ahh yes but there is that one small other thing as soon as they put another record breaking ride "All hail Cedar Po!nt"

People grow up and enjoy it while you can.

"were going in a whole new direction"....backwords

I read through this entire thread in disbelief at the attitude of some of your here.

Skyhawk is a large, spectacular ride that rides very different from MaXair. It is going into a part of Frontier Town that basically had nothing and fits in very well. I love the sign, fits right in with the rest of Frontier Town.

What would some of the kiddies have said when CP announced Wave Swinger. That's right, only Wave Swinger that year. A small, slow ride that only goes up about 20 feet and has German carnival art on it. And, how would a German fair grounds themed ride fit into Frontier Town? Pretty well it turns out.

Some of you are acting like CP has gone downhill because the announcement wasn't a coaster. In all the years I've been going to CP, dating back to the early 60's, MOST years it wasn't a coaster. But CP was a lot of fun, with a large variety of things to do. Adding two flat (if you can even call them that) rides is just what they needed. And these are even giant sized rides, they are not very common at all.

A 48" height requirement is family friendly for the most part. They lowered admission prices, brought back the junior and senior ticket, held the line on food and even are offering 25 cent cotton candy. All very family friendly things. It seems like they addressed many of the complaints people were making. Things like that will get more people into the park and will also create good will.

Who knows what the 2007 ride will be, but you know it will be something big and something that will use the real estate and view very well. And for all of you that think it will be a coaster, no one said it will. Sometimes making assumptions just set you up for disappointment.

As far as Tony and Tyler over hyping this, I really don't see where you guys are coming from. Never once did they say it will be a coaster, or even anything huge. Skyhawk exceeds the hype the blog was giving in size and substance. Some people just need to get over this roller coaster fetish, there are a lot of things that can be fun and thrilling outside of coasters. I happen to think be whipped around the sky with nothing more than a lap bar and a small seat will be extremely thrilling, more so than many coasters I can think of.

*** Edited 11/1/2005 4:12:24 AM UTC by Pete***

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Cedar Point has lost a fan and a guest of its park. I will no longer spend my money at a "shinking ship." I hope they lose their golden ticket award next year. good bye Cedar Point.

And I think PointBuzz has just lost a member. But since I’m not a moderator, I can’t do anything but express dis-taste for what you said, even if it is your own opinion. To me that’s blasphemy(kidding of course) and nobody talks about CP that way.*Buffs up and gets in your face* So why don’t you take your unhappy butt to Six Flags or wherever you're little heart desires because as you said "CP has just lost a fan".

*** Edited 11/1/2005 4:16:16 AM UTC by TTD 120mph***

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Lakeland05 said:

Then theres Top Thrill Dragster, I know its not thier fault that it doesn't work all the time, but if i was Cedar Point i would be trying to figure out what to do to really get it working good, instead of being like lets just fix it everytime

Wow, what a revelation! Maybe you should send Dick Kinzel a message that you think the park should make Dragster work "good". I bet they never thought of that before! Instead of just fixing it, they need to fix it "good". They may be so grateful for your suggestion that they might just send you a lifetime season pass!

I'd rather be in my boat with a drink on the rocks,
than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

new twist on an old concept. Do you remember the double ferris wheel?

I haven't read through the entire thread, but here's my view:

If OnPoint was designed only to hype the new ride, why are there so many entries about other stuff? Why would they bother explaining the 12E story or going behind the scenes of Halloweekends if their job was to hype the swing? And furthermore, if that was their only job, why is OnPoint going to still exist into next season? It's not like they need it anymore with Skyhawk announced...oh wait, maybe they use it for other things too.

Anyway, as far as the swing itself goes, I'm gonna copy my post from another forum:

I don't get why people are fussing over it because lyk omgz it's not a coastarrrr!!!!!one111one! Up until last year, Cedar Point had been lacking in thrilling non-coaster rides. They had Power Tower and Demon Drop, maybe Chaos although it's a small ride. Besides those and the water rides, they were lacking in that department and all their flats were pretty average. Now in 2 seasons, they've added 2 large, high-thrill flat rides. This move doesn't appeal to the coaster enthusiast, but it makes Cedar Point a more well-rounded park. Well-rounded park = better family atmosphere, + lower ticket prices = more family friendly, = more families visiting Cedar Point = more money to make the park better. It's all a big circle of economics, and Cedar Fair is manipulating it to the best advantage of the park. A million coasters doesn't mean anything if the park itself is terrible.

And while I've never been on a Screamin Swing, I've heard enough stories from people who have to be convinced that this ride will be a different experience than Maxair. That's enough for me.

I think very few people thought a coaster was coming. And yes, going back a few years, most of us wanted new, quality flat rides in the park, and we are certainly getting that. I think the disappointment is over several things..the fact that WWL is gone, and the fact the CP does seem to be delaying the invitable. We knew we were getting TTD for months, so when the announcement was made, we were not surprised (excited, but not surprised). Same with Skyhawk.

It's like watching your favorite sports team on tv later when you already know the score. You might still enjoy the game, but not to the degree or suspense if you didn't know the score. Millenium Force and MaxAir were different...we knew something new and wonderful was coming, but we really had no proof of what it really was until the announcement was made. Skyhawk's announcement was zero surprise.

My point...I don't think many people are disappointed in the ride itself, just in the approach of the delivery. I can see why some are let down. But that will all change as we start watching the webcam. No one has a clue what we are getting in 2007, and that's the way it should stay!

*** Edited 11/1/2005 5:53:33 AM UTC by net***

I'm not being ridiculous in my ranting like others who swear they won't ever be going back to the park, but I'm still allowed to voice my opinion...and in this case I just feel that the money could have gone to something more worthwhile. Some of you guys hold Cedar Point in such high regards that you feel that they are infallible.

I used to feel the same way about the park, but not anymore. In recent years they have proven just the opposite to us, whether it be changes to park policies, stances on maintenance incompetence, treatment of employees, the addition of canned spiels and the altogether assault of the park's atmosphere and charm, and outrageous prices at the vending machines just to name a few.

How about not adding a ride next year and increasing employee wages instead. They have been paying the same base rate to their employees for (at least) the past 8 seasons even though the cost of living (and minimum wage) has increased since then.

I'm not some kid who wants the biggest, tallest coaster/ride every year. I would much rather them take a year off from adding rides and improve some of the internal problems they have at the park right now.

-Gannon
-B.S. Civil Engineering, Purdue University

Lakeland05 said:
Then theres Top Thrill Dragster, I know its not thier fault that it doesn't work all the time, but if i was Cedar Point i would be trying to figure out what to do to really get it working good, instead of being like lets just fix it everytime, hell why don't they just have intamin take it down and return it for something else. I wouldn't care.

And now they are thinking about buy the six flags chain... here we go again, if they do this they will be at the same point Six Flags is right now. So as i am concerned CP is no longer the park i knew back before TTD, but as a park that has changed its view of who its guest are and who they want to please. Whats even gonna change after Kinzel is gone, its looking downhill from here, so this is where i get off. Cedar Point has lost a fan and a guest of its park. I will no longer spend my money at a "shinking ship." I hope they lose their golden ticket award next year. good bye Cedar Point

You're funny. I used to be a member here but since lost my password and changed my e-mail address so I've just crept around for a bit but I re-registered just to leave some feedback, so take it as you will. Cedar Point doesn't exist to just please YOU, but its goals are to achieve satisfaction from each one of its guests. You say that YOU wouldn't care if Cedar Point tore down Dragster and "returned it for something else" like a defective DVD from Best Buy. Stop being selfish and look at the big picture...It's not that simple. Did Cedar Point know that TTD was going to have this many problems? Did Intamin? TTD's problems have been an unfortunate but also an unforeseen event. At least with it being three years old. Its funny because you think that CP isn't TRYING to do anything. Did they waste $25 million to just just sit on there butts, pickin each others noses and eating boogers, whilst just ignoring the main problems of TTD? anyways, the main thing that I can get from you Lakeland05, is that you seem selfish and ignorant. As far as I am concerned, Cedar Point is and will always be the park that I rode my very first coaster, and will always be the park I fell in love with. They dont have to build another damn thing to keep me satisfied. And if the addition of Skyhawk disappoints you then so be it, I'll be driving the bandwagon boat around your sunken ship once Cedar Point announces something "big and new" in the near future.

Anyways, I think the addition of Skyhawk is stellar. Great area of the park for it to be at and looks to be an amazing ride but only time will tell right?

Pete I couldn't have said it better, that was the next thing I was about to say on this topic. Cedar Point is doing an excellent job as far as building what they're building. This year for 2005, Cedar Point brought us renovations to the Games area, which really look awesome now and brought us MaXair.

Now Cedar Point is going to going to the back of the park where attention is needed the most! Skyhawk is going to be an amazing ride and will bring more people to the back of the park. So what, we didn't announce a new coaster.

You know what I'll say it again like I said in the 06 thread of 84 pages. We are lucky to have the coaster collection we have!! What if we lived next to a park like Michigan Adventure? There is maybe a few great coasters there. Their Top Rollercoaster there is Shivering Timbers and they have 4 other coasters. We are very lucky to have the 16 coasters that we have right now.

Now as far as the Empty spot of land that WWL sits on. Let me explain something, if we waited until middle of 2006 to elimanate White Water Landing to build lets say a coaster, a lot of people around Ohio, Michigan, Pennslyvania, etc would be pissed. Another theory I have is they might have a lot of land clearing for whatever they're building back there, so they wanted that area to be clear to make sure that whatever they build back there is ready by 2007. I hope that makes sence!

Now as far as Demon Drop is Concerned, if that returns next year I will be shocked, because I expect that to go to another park somewhere in this country. As of right now I see 2 rides coming for 2007. One in White Water Landings Former Spot and one in Demon Drops Former spot. For now though I'm very happy with What Cedar Point is Doing for 2006 and look forward to riding Skyhawk. Cedar Point Rocks!

I am not saying that I wanted a coaster. I get the fact that they need more flat rides, great idea. I love maXair, but add variety to the park instead of similarity. There are many different flat ride choices to choose from out there. I think a perfect ride would have been a Giant Huss Topspin that shoots the water at you. It would be a perfect fit where its at. Thats just one out of many possibilites. If this Screamin Swing was added a few years down the road, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as putting two similar rides in back to back.

They have 14 great coasters that i could ride that i would be happy with, if they add another coaster, cool. But i do like the flat ride idea, just not adding a similar ride for 2006 already. I don't want to see 500ft + yet.

"If it looks good, you'll see it; if it sounds good, you'll hear it, if it's marketed right, you'll buy it; but... if it's real, you'll feel it."

Closed topic.

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service