Mean Streak 2012

We rode it on Monday twice and had no complaints on the roughness. The trims slowed it to a crawl just before the 1st drop. The second time we saw Henry riding it and he didn't seem to mind it at all.

Just another coaster junkie at Point Buzz

I rode it on Thursday, 5/17. I was with 2 girls that avidly hated Mean Streak, claiming it gave them terrible headaches and pain the last time they rode it, and they'd never ride it again.

Going by my predictions and what others had said in this thread, I managed to talk them both into riding it, claiming it was all retracked and much smoother now. I was a little nervous that they were putting their trust in me, and I all I wanted was MS to deliver a smooth ride. I waited an extra train for the very front seat and told them not to lean against the backrest.

The ride delivered the smoothest ride I ever remember, all the way back to its opening year. Sure it wasn't as fast as it once was, but I still thought it was a fun and pleasant ride all around. I love its location and the look of its structure, so it doesn't take a whole lot to win me over.

Sure I wish the trims were off and it was faster through the first couple turns and through the second half, but I think the ride is far too harshly panned. Regardless of what anyone says, I experienced some air time. One spot I know for sure there is some is directly after the midcourse brake run, on that first hill.

When the ride was over, our whole train cheered loudly. This was so different than the angry silence from so many of its rough years. There were no complaints from either of the girls, and I was relieved / happy.

So, if you hate this ride for its roughness, give it a shot this year (the earlier, the better). No, it's not going to be El Toro or The Voyage, but I don't see constant complaints of Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, and Corkscrew not being the best of their breeds.

I'll agree with Jeff and the other folks who have had a changed-in-a-positive-way experience on MS. I had the chance to test the new-and-improved claims yesterday, and they are no exaggeration. MS was actually relaxing to ride and an enjoyable experience. If time had permitted, I would have gladly taken multiple trips.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Welcome back, Ensign. :)

Promoter of fog.

Just got back from Cedar Point and can confirm what people are saying, Mean Streak is delivering the "best" rides that it has given in years! It is still your typical woodie roughness, but much better than years past, glad I was able to get a ride on it.

Parker

Thanks, Stater. :) It's good to be back.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Yesterday they were running all thre trains but only putting riders in one. It was something I've never seen but it raised the wait time on it so we left it alone. Blue Streak was pretty rough as well. Anyone no the last time they've done work on it like they are on MS?

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

You're wanted in Holodeck 6.

I don't think it's a terrible ride experience, just uneventful. Here is our current situation:

With an 8 month old and a 4 year old, my wife and I pretty much prioritize what we do by ourselves (parent swap time), and this ride just is not making the cut. Running very smooth, though, I'll give it that.

It's also a matter of real estate, and expectations. Mean Streak takes up a sizeable chunk of prime real estate. It was supposed to be a signature ride for the park. It's supposed to be intense, and a world-class woodie (hence their ridiculous effort at getting it noted a "top 10 woodie" a few years back). It is none of those things, and while now it's not an avoid-at-all-costs, its little (older) brother up front offers a much greater wooden-coaster experience, and it so pales in comparison to other notable wooden "biggies" in the market like Voyage, Toro, Thunderhead, etc., that it almost (i said almost) just ticks me off every time I see it. Same emotional reaction as Disaster Transport, without all the ugliness.

Last edited by Kevinj,

Promoter of fog.

As far as prime real estate, CCMR is on a great piece of land. While riding it yesterday, I realized how big and nice of a plot this is. Not saying I'd like to see it go, but if we're talking land, this is it.

Joe
Eat 'em up, Tigers, eat 'em up!

If only one train was being loaded then that means that there was probably a sickness in both e oer trains. After someone throws up it is cleaned up and the trains are cycled empty until it is decided that it is okay to be seated again.

Also, sit in the front row of a car, the back row has wheels underneath of it.

After having multiple rides back in May and now riding it again today, the roughness is returning. I still feel its better than it was in previous seasons. It is not as smooth as it was in May. I dont think this coaster will ever hold up and stay perfectly tuned. It tears itself up very quickly.

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

I'm hoping meanstreak gets topper track to kill those nasty trims of the first drop and have a smooth ride.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I really want MS to get the Iron Horse treatment badly. Think of how amazing this ride would be. I've never been on the New Texas Giant but it looks amazing.

thrillsawait.weebly.com
Top 5 CP Coasters: 1. Steel Vengeance 2. Millennium Force 3. Maverick 4. Dragster 5. Magnum
Coaster Count: 102

Could Intamin redesign it and launch it into world class coaster status?

Your mom is to fat to ride TTD.'s avatar

No, because the layout wasn't that great to begin with it.

Let's Get Weird.

^ Agreed
It was designed to break records. It did, however at the cost of being designed with the layout being compromised. Hence, why it tears itself up so easily.

Blue people fly sideways when it rains

Ride On_17 said:
I know it's been mentioned before, but I really want MS to get the Iron Horse treatment badly. Think of how amazing this ride would be. I've never been on the New Texas Giant but it looks amazing.

The renovation on Texas Giant cost $10 million. Why would CP spend that kind of money renovating a coaster that isn't even that great of a design anyway? Plus we already have Mine Ride and Gemini as hybrids. We need 2 true woodies. I don't really care what they do with it, as long as it isn't torn down and replaced with a steel coaster. I love the menacing look of all that lumber.

Edit: Sorry Blue Streak, forgot about you

Last edited by Vette,

^at least 1 true woodie? whats Blue Streak?

Halloweekends Screamster!
Fear Faire 2010-2011

Ah I forgot about Blue Streak. Probably because I didn't ride it on Monday. Oh well, Blue Streak doesn't have that menacing look to it. I don't want a steel coaster in MS place. So 2 true woodies lol.

Last edited by Vette,

Well said Vette. If something ever goes into Mean Streak's place, I want it to be something like El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure. For now though, I still enjoy Mean Streak for what it is and will continue to enjoy it. By the way, are they re-designing the Mean Streak queue? I went yesterday and seen how the old queue is now history.

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service