Did anyone witness or hear about the fight in line for maverick on sunday, may 31, 2009 ?

It is really sad that we faithful followers of CP rules have to put up with this type of behavior from anyone and keep our mouths shut because we are afraid we might get in a fight. It is really pathetic that the PD let the people go. I hope you find your video and can press charges. I don't think getting the media involved would be a good idea, although I would be calling the Sandusky police about it for sure and making a complaint (if you already got no where with the CPPD).

Majority of line jumpers I see when I am there are middle/high schoolers trying to get to their friends. And I usually state out loud for everyone to hear, "line jumper coming through" hoping to get an employees attention.

What is our country coming to? It is a roller coaster ride, wait in line like everyone else. The ride will be there 10 minutes later. Like OMG, they had to wait behind someone else, like they had the right to cut everyone in line because they were special or something. Some peoples mentality really concern me. I am glad your friend spoke up for everyone behind you, just wished it would have ended in a better way.

I hope everyone is okay and will return to CP in the future.

Cedar Point, Americas rip- rockin', high flyin', sky defyin', record breakin' roller coast

KenniB said:
They may think that ignoring it will help it disappear or ignoring it allows them to claim deniability.

Or maybe because an internet forum is not the appropriate place for them to address the issue.

Goodbye MrScott

John

^bingo

First rollback=opening weekend '09

eight days ago Cedar Point was my favorit place on earth. It greatly saddens me that a group of fellow guests and twenty negligent police officers could ruin that. It also greatly saddens me, that unless my friend wins his lawsuit and the park makes security improvements, that I will never be returning to cedar point or any cedar fair park ever again.

my only regret, is that i had to say goodbye to my favorite place on earth for the last time through the back window of an ambulance.

If I remember correctly, there were a few young women too who were talking to the cops at Cedar Point...Were they just witnesses, or were they a part of the whole fight too?

So stoked for 2010 :]

-Lizzy

mattmccoy14 - I'm sorry because of this incident you feel like you'll never ever visit Cedar Point again. But I have a feeling you eventually will, and here's why:

Bad things happen to good people and they happen everywhere. One look at today's news and you'll see stories about unfortunate people who happened to be at the wrong place, or do the wrong thing at the wrong time. It happens- at the mall, at the ballgame, in your car, at your workplace, on the street, in your school.

I was attacked and robbed once- I had just gotten outta my car on a busy street and was walking to a bar, just like I'd done many times before. Only that time I was football-tackled from behind and wrestled to the ground for my money and my crappy ACE wristwatch. Now, I'm a big guy and can hold my own but that time I didn't stand a chance. There was not only loss of property, but injuries- topped off by a couple of bumbling police officers who had every opportunity to catch this guy and didn't bother. Afterward I had a hard time dealing with a lot of things, but I can assure you eventually the fear and loathing passed, and the only thing I finally took away from it was everything I had learned- and it made me better.

So, while it may not be this season, I think you'll find your way back to the place you love most. If you need to, talk to your parents, teachers, or anyone you trust. Hopefully you'll come to realize that this truly unfortunate incident was not Cedar Point's fault, or the police department's fault. It was one of those horrible, unfair things that can happen anywhere at any time. I'd guess that in your young life you've been lucky not to experience too much of it, and hopefully not too much more will come your way. Regardless, time will be your friend, and this will finally take it's place as a memory for you, not a life altering event.

Remember, young sir, Cedar Point is a place where millions of people go each year and don't get beat up. It's still a beautiful, happy, and yes, safe place to go. I feel confident that you won't let this steal the love of Cedar Point from you, and we'll see you and your friend back there again someday having a blast. I hope so.

I'm the oldest one here. CP emp '73-'74

I hope so too, maby some day...

and your right, it has only been a week and the loathing is subsiding. yesterday after I had posted the comment above, I thought to myself, that my friend was actually very lucky, he sustained minimal injury, and he didn't get shot or shanked.

I must say though, I have visited cedar point several times (I think 4 since 2007) and I have never felt so unsafe. I do think that this park is in declining health and if I ever do return, I will certainly be prepared for anything to happen.

I don't know if I will return this season. and if I do, it will be with a tazer or somthing else thats painful on hand. I did buy a platinum pass, and there would be no sense in wasting it, so if not cedar point, maby ill payanother cedar fair park a visit. But first I need to convince my parents and my friends parents to let me go any where with a friend again. I guess its worth a shot.

Last edited by mattmccoy14,

mattmccoy14 said:
I do think that this park is in declining health and if I ever do return, I will certainly be prepared for anything to happen.

I think that theme reflects pretty strongly for society in general, not just the microcosm of CP. The economy may have a little to do with it, but I believe the cause goes a lot deeper than that.

CP Mac: Very nice reply. Your wisdom shows.

I want to comment that it is important, IMO, to put the blame for this incident where it belongs - with the persons in line who beat up on another human being. CP, just like the regular police, cannot be all places at all times. If someone wants to behave poorly, there is little stopping them. Granted, it sounds like the CPPD could have handled the aftermath better, but the blame for this incident does not fall on them. Too often these days we blame everyone but the perpetrator.

If you stay away from the park you enjoy so much because of this isolated incident, you hand a victory to those who hurt you.

^ Rapids: Well, frankly, the whole point of this thread was actually to get some photo/video evidence of the *perps* so that *they* could be sued or prosecuted. The fact that the CPPD let them go without getting their names, etc, means that the OP and his friend can't make the perps pay for what they did.

Its one thing when one person is trying to get with his/her group, but when a group tries it, I think it is very rude! For the most part, the wait is not that bad to have to jump the line! It is amazing how rude many people are any more! I mean I see line jumping alot even in the stores! People have no manners anymore!

Life is like a rollercoaster! It is full of ups and downs

cedar point victim said:
Hi, I'm matt's friend that was beat up in line on May 31, 2009 in line for maverick. First, thanks for responding and thanks Matt for doing this. There are several things that I am furious about that happened. First, the fact that I got my butt kicked and then the black people got away makes me mad. The CP police were not very helpful at all, infact, the lady and gentleman that where running Maverick at the time were more helpful. The fact that CP has so type of surveillance at there rides but spend the money to put cameras to take pics. of their guests' silly faces on the roller coasters makes me sad. I still can't believe that when I stood up to myself for 20 minutes telling not to line jump and nobody but matt and my other friend (who has a black belt in martial arts, u can see that went into great use) would help me. Then I got ripped to the ground, punched in the jaw and kicked in the face several times. It took about 5-10 minutes for somebody to show up. I was knocked out, so I don't have much account of anything after the punch to the jaw. Then next thing I remember I'm on the train platform of Maverick and the lady running maverick is talking to my friends. Then I black out and next thing I remeber, I'm in the hospital. We are going to pursuit a lawsuit. I suffered a concusion and my face was pretty swullen. This was my third time at CP and it will probably be my last. The only thing I tell myself is that those black people that the CP police let go will have to answer to God eventually. I was lucky, one of those "people" could have had a knife or gun and I could have died. Is that the only time that Cedar Point will take the security seriously, when somebody is killed, or will they prevent it sooner before it gets to that? One kick to the head could kill you, I was kicked several times.

btw, thanks for doing this matt, -mike

I'm sorry this happened to you. But if you got beat up in front of your house, would you never go home again?

Its unfortunate that you are the 1 out of X,000,000 to have this happen to them, but it happens. Are you sure that CPPD doesn't have the information for those they initially detained? They may not be releasing it to you because they don't want to be responsible if you go for some vigilante justice.

Goodbye MrScott

John

To CPVictim:
If I were you, I'd delete that post. It has serious racial undertones and the defense will almost certainly find it and use it against you. I realize that you probably have some negative associations that have developed (my wife was robbed at knifepoint and she still has trust issues with latino males), but it's important to try to get past that and think of the good black people in the world rather than letting it fester because of the bad eggs.

I understand that you're bitter and justifiably so, but I think with time you could find a better way to word your post.

Good luck w/ everything. Hopefully you can get some closure and resolution from it.

To JuggaLotus and everyone else who says that there's no reason to stay away from CP:
Traumatic experiences are pretty powerful. If something bad happened in front of or in their house like the accidental death of a child, many people do indeed move. As much as we fans may not believe it, CP is an optional, luxury type thing, not a necessity. For someone who's gone through something like this, it may not be worth it to go back.

To Juggalotus,

If I where attacked at my home there would be people there to help me. plus I would grab a golf club or something and defend myself. At CP we where in an enclosed space in line with everyone else but matt standing and watching. So to answer your question, yes, I would go back. To Japinator: How the does that have a racial undertone? I said black once, and when the police ask you to describe the oppressors and you tell them that they where back they don't call you on "racial undertones". I wasn't focusing on them being black, i'm just trying to get the image out there like matt did.

Well, this has been alot better than telling the police department.

[Or maybe because an internet forum is not the appropriate place for them to address the issue.]

cedar point victim said:

Jugga Lotus said:

[Or maybe because an internet forum is not the appropriate place for them to address the issue.]

cedar point victim said:

cedar point victim said:
and then the black people got away

The only thing I tell myself is that those black people that the CP police let go will have to answer to God eventually.

one of those "people" could have had a knife or gun and I could have died.

I realize that the last one probably was trying to refer to their thuggery and not their blackness, but it doesn't necessarily come across that way.

in line with everyone else but matt standing and watching.

I was watching... and standing... and waiting for them to stop... and helping you...

and btw he was just using 'black' as an adjective.

and you're all right, I don't blame Cedar Point for what initially happened, what I do blame them for is the fact that they did catch them, and let them go without a question.

Last edited by mattmccoy14,

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service