Cedar Point Dethroned: Golden Ticket Awards 2014!

I know it doesn't really matter, but I have to admit I got a bit teary eyed when Cedar Point wasn't named the "Best Amusement Park in the World." ;-) I suppose the marketing team will now have to think of a new advertising tagline for banners and what not. (Perhaps "Best Amusement Park in the World as Voted by Dick Kinzel" would be appropriate?)

I was glad to see MF retain the top spot, though. And now I have to get to Europa-Park!

Last edited by Top Thrill 182,

Thrills Around the Corner!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11q4q3S57jE#t=18

Brian
Valravn Rides: 24| Steel Vengeance Rides: 27| Dragster Rollbacks: 1

This made me very sad. :(

Meh, after 15 years of being the "best park in the world" it's probably time to move on to another marketing scheme anyway.

Europa Park can benefit from the publicity a whole lot more at this point, so kudos to them. Most people haven't even heard of Europa.

-- Chuck Wagon --
aka Pagoda Gift Shop

It was bound to happen one day. Ah well, not like it will change the park any, plus these awards are always a little rigged. Looks like they're getting closer to the truth....besides Millennium still being #1 isn't quite right.

Does this mean I can stop going to the park? I mean, what's the point in going if they're not the best?!?

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

Honestly, by now I'd like to think Cedar Point is decently well known enough that they don't need to keep tooting this horn anyway.

I really doubt outside of online enthusiast communities that many people even paid attention to this award anyway, or that it made a difference between them going to Cedar Point or any other park.

It wasn't even close. Last year Europa nearly tied CP this year 25% to 16%. Ouch.

Demon Drop 2004
Castaway Bay Lifeguard 04-05

TTD 120mph said:
Does this mean I can stop going to the park? I mean, what's the point in going if they're not the best?!?

You're mixing up cause and effect. Clearly, the Point lost its cherished position because you haven't made enough trips to the park.

Shame on you. Shame.

My author website: mgrantroberts.com.

Ehhhh... This is a good thing. While I don't think it'll effect business, it certainly shows people's interests are changing. Young people today are looking to be entertained at all hours of the day. Large areas of concrete with back and forth steel que rails are where they can begin. An extra $2-3 million on a que line can mean the difference between a good experience and bad. If you do the math most of the average guest's time is spent in line.

I know it's not fair to compare to Disney, but they see the value in entertaining guests while they wait in line. Unfortunately, a small tv with random music videos isn't going to cut it.

My personal opinion is that Cedar Fair is going to have to focus more on immersive environments. They have traditionally been against theming they may want to begin rethinking this.

It has become a lot of cement and steel and has lost a lot of charm over the years. I think Matt is working to change the DNA and direction, and is doing a good job. So aside from my rant, I believe the park is on the right track.

Guess someone finally outspent Cedar Fair for advertising in Amusement Today.

Goodbye MrScott

John

^^Tilt-a-Whirl

Thumbs up.

Tilt-a-Whirl said:
Large areas of concrete with back and forth steel que rails are where they can begin.

I was thinking about this if the so called dark ride is ever built at Point Pavilion. The former Pirate Ride building would be used as a queue and keep guests occupied some way while waiting to ride. Then a small path could be build around Raptor leading to the main building.

Well... That's what happens when you stop pushing forward... CP hasn't done anything truly unique since 2007 (Maverick).

Gatekeeper is a solid ride, but nothing revolutionary. Other than that we've gotten stuff like the Dinosaurs, Windseeker, Pipescream, and Lake Erie Eagles...

I do wish that they'd do more with themeing too, but I think a lack of innovation is also part of the problem.

The Mantis refurb, if that's truly what's happening, is indicative of the problem.

Why does it matter that one publication no longer calls CP "Best in the world"? No other polls or publications did. This was just a marketing gimmick that fans locked on to for years. It also meant nothing because there truly are other "best parks in the world". Cedar Fair is now focused on improving other parks in the chain, not that CP wont get anything new, but I don't think it will be the chains flagship anymore. Time for all to get over it and just enjoy what you have.

Last edited by coasterJay,

Regardless of how silly these awards can be, they are still very important for the parks marketing wise. I am sure they are quite disappointed that they did not get it.

IMO, the park should not have had #1 as long as they did. In terms of "completeness", other parks are quite a bit better.

While the park has a great location and collection of rides, it still does not come close to many other parks in terms of resort options, ride atmosphere (theming, entertainment), food offerings, etc... I think a park like Europa from what I head heard (never been) is more deserving of the award or a park like BGW, Universal/IOA, etc...

CP has made huge improvements the past few years with the new CEO... The park is far better now than it used to be during the Kinzel era. Perhaps in a few years they will earn #1 back if they continue on with all the great changes... Some amazing transformations with the Gatekeeper area, Gemini Midway, Frontier Trail, etc... It is becoming a much more beautiful, well-rounded park. No one can deny that!

Last edited by Invertalon,

As much as I hate to see Cedar Point getting #2 after being #1 for so long, I saw this coming a mile away. Europa park has been creeping up to the top for the past few years so IMO, it was only a matter of time. I just can't decide if EP is getting better, or CP is losing its touch.

I completely understand that CP is focusing on more important things (that pertain to the overall experience of peoples' trips), but I imagine being on the leading edge in terms of coasters/rides plays a huge role in CP's case. There was a time (2003 comes to mind) when CP had more coasters than any other park, the tallest/fastest coaster, the #1 steel coaster, voted best amusement park, etc., and they no longer have most of those distinctions.

I don't know if this is just just me, but it seems like more rides/coasters have been removed since 2012 than any timeframe I can remember.

Ensign Smith said:
You're mixing up cause and effect. Clearly, the Point lost its cherished position because you haven't made enough trips to the park.

Shame on you. Shame.

Guess I'll just have to "try" harder next year. And by "try", I mean I won't. :P

-Adam G- The OG Dragster nut

If cedar point wants to get the award back they will have to get the Millennium crew back and build a ride like Millennium but Where???

Maverick - "The West Was Never This Wild"

! said:
As much as I hate to see Cedar Point getting #2 after being #1 for so long, I saw this coming a mile away. Europa park has been creeping up to the top for the past few years so IMO, it was only a matter of time. I just can't decide if EP is getting better, or CP is losing its touch.

I completely understand that CP is focusing on more important things (that pertain to the overall experience of peoples' trips), but I imagine being on the leading edge in terms of coasters/rides plays a huge role in CP's case. There was a time (2003 comes to mind) when CP had more coasters than any other park, the tallest/fastest coaster, the #1 steel coaster, voted best amusement park, etc., and they no longer have most of those distinctions.

I don't know if this is just just me, but it seems like more rides/coasters have been removed since 2012 than any timeframe I can remember.

I agree with you on the point that when Cedar Point used to have the award but they got rid of lots of decent rides, roller coasters, attractions, and haunts in your last paragraph. I feel confident though that Cedar Point has something under its sleeve.

Maverick - "The West Was Never This Wild"

You must be logged in to post

POP Forums app ©2024, POP World Media, LLC - Terms of Service